Kicking with ranged weapons, will it ever happen?

• A simple question. It is certainly possible to kick while holding a bow in real life so i don’t see why it shouldn’t be possible with any sort of ranged weapon. Will we ever see it?

Ninjas, Vikings and ESPECIALLY Spartans can already kick while using ranged weapons with great effect.

• I’m sure there’s a reason for this, but I’ll be damned if I can think of it. It would be a useful tool for an archer/pirate/etc taken by surprise, but it certainly wouldn’t be overpowered.

• @Mockingbirch:

I’m sure there’s a reason for this, but I’ll be damned if I can think of it. It would be a useful tool for an archer/pirate/etc taken by surprise, but it certainly wouldn’t be overpowered.

Exactly!

• Random double post for no reason

• @Mockingbirch:

I’m sure there’s a reason for this, but I’ll be damned if I can think of it. It would be a useful tool for an archer/pirate/etc taken by surprise, but it certainly wouldn’t be overpowered.

Really? You can’t think of a reason, Well it’s simple really you kick someone they’re off guard they can’t do anything to prevent being kicked and you can let off another projectile. Javelin archers can already do this is MW and it’s the most effective move they have you just knock your enemy back and hit them with a javelin.

• Rushing at a pirate, bam kicked back forced into a flinch/locked stance get shot, profit. Total balance.

• What Khyy said. and the fact that if you are caught with a ranged weapon you should be punished for letting someone get in melee range.

If you kick him, then you have time to switch.

• Double post

• That’s a question that has been asked a lot, least back in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Kicks were removed from projectile weapons to create huge risk for the user to attempt to “Shotgun” as it is mostly refered to when you fire/throw a projectile weapon upclose. So if there was a kick, you might aswell throw, miss and then just kick your opponent away as you change your melee weapon.

They wanted to prevent that, so there would somehow be a slight window for melee units to take advantage of catching the projectile weapon user off guard.

• @wildwulfy:

That’s a question that has been asked a lot, least back in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Kicks were removed from projectile weapons to create huge risk for the user to attempt to “Shotgun” as it is mostly refered to when you fire/throw a projectile weapon upclose. So if there was a kick, you might aswell throw, miss and then just kick your opponent away as you change your melee weapon.

They wanted to prevent that, so there would somehow be a slight window for melee units to take advantage of catching the projectile weapon user off guard.

Makes sense, but in DW I’d rather have javelins able to be parried and the kick implemented. You could still block the “shotgun” if you had good reactions. Actually, I’d just like to have javelins blockable regardless, it’s incredibly annoying as is to fight a Spartan with the short spear.

• @Khyy:

Rushing at a pirate, bam kicked back forced into a flinch/locked stance get shot, profit. Total balance.

Vikings, Ninja, and Spartans can do this already with great effect. Why should the other classes be put at such a disadvantage?

• Kicking wih guns and crossbows would be bad. But here’s no harm in bows.

I remember in the alpha when you could parry with the blunderbuss. It was the most. OP riposte ever. And back then the pellets did 25 damage each and there were 8 of them. Unblockable instakill riposte.

Kicking with guns and crossbows would be just like then. Even though the blunderbuss only does a max of 126 damage instead of 200 and it has a wider spread.

• @Borge:

A simple question. It is certainly possible to kick while holding a bow in real life so i don’t see why it shouldn’t be possible with any sort of ranged weapon. Will we ever see it?

Ninjas, Vikings and ESPECIALLY Spartans can already kick while using ranged weapons with great effect.

The systems as it stands is fairly straight forward. You cannot kick while you have a dedicated ranged weapon equipped (ie, crossbow, yumi bow or gun).

I think it is a good system. These weapons have crazy range and should have an adverse trade off in melee.

The classes you listed have no dedicated ranged weapons with a range that can contest with crossbow, yumi bow or gun. The reason their kicks are not locked is because for vikings and Spartans these are also melee weapons and ninjas do not have equippable ranged weapons, so penalising them would be silly.

Incidentally are you Borge the pirate? 8-)

• @lemonater47:

But here’s no harm in bows.

The harm is the Archer doesn’t get punished for not switching to his weapon at the right time.

• @WarCrab:

@lemonater47:

The harm is the Archer doesn’t get punished for not switching to his weapon at the right time.

And it’s not like the archer hasn’t got the fastest weapon swap times anyway.

• @DokB:

@WarCrab:

@lemonater47:

Or the ability to dispense death a mile away.

• @Mockingbirch:

@wildwulfy:

That’s a question that has been asked a lot, least back in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Kicks were removed from projectile weapons to create huge risk for the user to attempt to “Shotgun” as it is mostly refered to when you fire/throw a projectile weapon upclose. So if there was a kick, you might aswell throw, miss and then just kick your opponent away as you change your melee weapon.

Makes sense, but in DW I’d rather have javelins able to be parried and the kick implemented. You could still block the “shotgun” if you had good reactions. Actually, I’d just like to have javelins blockable regardless, it’s incredibly annoying as is to fight a Spartan with the short spear.

You have always your mobility or ducks you can perform to avoid them of course, that’s what we do to all projectile weapons in Medieval Warfare. Works there, should do in DW too.

• @DokB:

@WarCrab:

@lemonater47:

That depends on what type of secondary the Archer has selected.
    But four out of six secondaries has a fast equip time.
    Least in Medieval Warfare, the Broad dagger, Hunting Knife, Thrusting Dagger and Dagesse/Shortsword has as equip up time at 0.3, whilst Cudgel and Saber has the regular equip time at 0.5.

Even if so, should a Archer choose to shotgun, he won’t be able to change and parry in time IF he misses his shot when you get upclose, thus being successful with the shotgun manouver, though if he miss, you should have enough time to punish the archer for their mistake.

Seeing as Archers WILL most likely be all focused about parrying that possible incomming blow, they put themselves in a very highly chance of being feinted, same with people panic parrying a lot. so take that to consideration if your weapon is a tad too slow.

Though imagine if Archers could aswell kick you away xD

• @Borge:

A simple question. It is certainly possible to kick while holding a bow in real life so i don’t see why it shouldn’t be possible with any sort of ranged weapon. Will we ever see it?

the pirate can already throw his gun, which does basically the same thing as a kick. and it auto swaps to your weapon for you.

other classes should be punished for not swapping (who else is there? the high ass armor knight and samurai?) on time, as bb said.