PIRATES: An honest look at their over-nerfed state

• Note: I have played both Chivalry games quite a bit. In Deadliest Warrior I enjoy all 6 classes, and am in no way biased in favour of pirates.

During the beta, weeks ago, I think Pirates were actually one of the most balanced classes. But like in Chiv Modern Warfare, people loved to constantly complain about their ranged weapons. Like the people who never stop whining about archers in MW, people just would not stop whining about pirate guns in DW.

Torn Banner didn’t give in to the misguided hate in MW, but I fear they bowed to the newbs in DW. Pirate guns were nerfed to the point that they are just noise now. They aren’t fun, they aren’t powerful in any way, and their accuracy and short range is just silly.

Thing is, pirates were definitely NOT overpowered. Playing as other classes, I put up a good fight against a pirate firing squad, back when the guns were good. I never understood the hate. Pirates were always very vulnerable, and the gun was almost a balancing tool to save them.

So why did Torn Banner give in and nerf pirates to such an extreme?
    Why is the blunderbuss now a short range, weak (even up close), slow to reload, waste of a weapon?
    Why was the pistol nerfed? What was wrong with the pistol? Its reload speed seems spot on though, and having been shuffled around in a few patches, I think they got this aspect right. The new smoke effect is also awesome.

Unfortunately, pirates are now so underpowered, that I would honestly like to see most of these changes reverted. It would make them a viable class again, and make them more fun. I just don’t understand the unneeded degradation of pirate ranged weapons to such a huge extent. I hate having to pick which gun is less terrible.

Yes the cutlass/sabre are good and I can do very well with them to an extent, but they just don’t compete with the weapons of the other classes. Especially the high life classes. Vikings are, and always have been, insane killing machines with invisible yet thick armour. They are swift, hard hitting, fast hitting, incredibly strong, and have BETTER ranged attacks than pirates currently. They often win matches by a landslide, and yet receive little whining against them.

The tired non-argument that guns don’t belong in this game is not an actual game mechanics argument; let’s be real.

Additional thoughts are welcomed :)

TL;DR - Pirates were nerfed when they didn’t need a nerf at all. They are now arguably the worst class and it shows. Please revert some of the changes back. Love the game and want it to be the best it can be.

• They were op,maybe not to the players that played them but to every other mele class who couldnt even get close witout dying or havinh 5 hp left… And not to mention doing insane dmg straight thru any shields… Just stupid…

• The weakest class is the ninja (who wears armor), which for some reason has half the defense of a disease carrying alcoholic in a cotton coat. They are also only limited to 4 shuriken, which take 3-4 head shots to kill. While Everyone else gets more ammunition or they have a weapon they can spam throw with 1 hit kills.

• The guns are still pretty strong. And now pirates extremely strong in melee-combat. They are fast, have decent armor and extremely good damage. I don’t know what people are talking about, pirate still is too strong, and still extremely annoying. A pirate can easily defeat 2 samurai/vikings in melee.

• the truth is my friend that the majority hates ranged classes,and they don’t even compare a melee class with a ranged one to see if there is balance,right now the crossbow from the knight is way better,faster reload,the damage is the same of the pistol if not slight less,but nothing noticeable,you can see where the arrow is going which is very important for the ranged aspect(now you can’t see where you shoot with the pirate),and since shooting from distance is useless since the uber health regen i see really no point to play as pirate right now,you only lose 3 ammo using the crossbow but you got a nice armor,health pool and melee weapons and also the reload animation is being increased and now you can’t really exactly tell when you can fire the gun,like you have to wait 1 second after the reload animation or it will start reloading again.The ranged aspect was nerfed when they gave health regen,but lower damage,slow reload,crappy animation and considering all classes have a ranged attack to kill you or just to stop your animation and the faster speed for all the classes i think it’s too much,if health regen wasn’t there,the recent changes were fine.

• The guns were definitely a bit too strong in the beta, but I feel like TB overcompensated. If I can shoot someone 3 times with the blunderbuss and not kill him, then what’s the point? I understand that the Pirate is intended to play more of a support role, but as is he’s simply not as good an option.

• Blame BB. Hates ranged and a balance council member.

• @Mockingbirch:

If I can shoot someone 3 times with the blunderbuss and not kill him

If this happens to you, you are doing it wrong.

@HammelGammel:

The guns are still pretty strong. And now pirates extremely strong in melee-combat. They are fast, have decent armor and extremely good damage. I don’t know what people are talking about, pirate still is too strong, and still extremely annoying. A pirate can easily defeat 2 samurai/vikings in melee.

^This

@AndreaTheArcher:

the truth is my friend that the majority hates ranged classes

Because they ruin the fun of the melee game, and TBS is well aware of that. Even though they implemented way too many ranged weapons for some reason.

Fast regen is the only good thing they have done since the beta was released.

@lemonater47:

Blame BB. Hates ranged and a balance council member.

But there is no spoon

• I kind of like where the pirate is at right now. He’s roguish. He can lay back and ravage/assist/steal kills ez mode with the blundy, do considerable damage from afar with his pistol, and he’s brutal as hell in melee, so you can be very successful as a melee purist. Rum helps, too. If anything, it’s OP, considering that a qualified team of all pirates, mechanic wise, should never lose to any other class.

• Many people have difficulty with the blunderbuss.

At long range its not terribly effective.

At close ranged people are put off by the fact you can’t hip fire and moving to aiming position takes time not to mention your mouse sensitivity is lowered to a locked speed and there’s a 0.4 second delay before it actually fires. The pistole firing delay is 0.2 seconds you can react to that unless you have tons of andrenalin pumping through you but with the blundy you can provided both your pings are low enough.

Puts a lot of people off. And you’d be surprised by how much everyone misses.

And the blunderbuss can only one shot people if some of the pellets hit the head. Or as a ninja ALL of them hit you in the chest. Ninja can actually survive a close range shot if just a couple of the pellets miss of a few hit the legs.

Knights can survive a shot aimed at the face. As the head is a small area and most of the pellets miss.

A pirate is only good in 1v1 melee combat. Not group combat. And many pirates like to stay in groups. Against a team who isn’t scared of pirates they actually disadvantage themselves.

• Don’t make me laugh xD Pirates are still OP and so incredibly easy to play. They have insta hit altswings and alt overheads, i’d say their melee is superior to the other classes and the hipfiring is just riddiculous it takes no skill to hit with that shit xD

In terms of being easyasfuck/opnez2k13 i’d rate the classes as such:

Ninja>Pirate->Spartan->Knight->Viking->Samurai

• @lemonater47:

A pirate is only good in 1v1 melee combat. Not group combat. And many pirates like to stay in groups. Against a team who isn’t scared of pirates they actually disadvantage themselves.

Say that again when you’ve played the game a couple of hours xD pirate best melee in game after ninja, yes even in group fights

• @lemonater47:

Many people have difficulty with the blunderbuss.

At long range its not terribly effective.

At close ranged people are put off by the fact you can’t hip fire and moving to aiming position takes time not to mention your mouse sensitivity is lowered to a locked speed and there’s a 0.4 second delay before it actually fires. The pistole firing delay is 0.2 seconds you can react to that unless you have tons of andrenalin pumping through you but with the blundy you can provided both your pings are low enough.

Puts a lot of people off. And you’d be surprised by how much everyone misses.

And the blunderbuss can only one shot people if some of the pellets hit the head. Or as a ninja ALL of them hit you in the chest. Ninja can actually survive a close range shot if just a couple of the pellets miss of a few hit the legs.

Knights can survive a shot aimed at the face. As the head is a small area and most of the pellets miss.

really? i’m surprised our experiences have been so different. on the servers here, pirates consistently loom about and easily grab kills with a shot from the blunderbuss. i’ve also found it considerably simple to place shots at mid–>close range, on occupied and wary opponents. this tells me that with time people will find the blunderbuss to be more and more effective.

it’s not really intended to be a one shot killer. nothing should be. it’s more of a pick a damaged foe and kill him type weapon. i think that with some more time invested you’ll see its potential!

also, as a melee pirate i can consistently fend off multiple opponents, with successful outcomes. the speed makes weaving great. just keep at it!

• Pirates are OP becuase people are frightened by the loud bangs their guns make. Teams split up and run for cover which doesn’t actually work in this game they just become easy single targets.

On fjord they are OP becuase there are places for people to hide from them. I suggest a heroic charge towards the pirates everyone agrees and follows me.

First bloody volley and everyone runs behind he buildings except me. I’m the only target running towards them shield raised. When I reach the pirates I’m on very low health as I was the only target and I get stabbed by ten things at once. And since I didn’t survive and kill all ten Of them on my own everyone who ran off and hides didn’t think it was their fault at all. No, they think its becuase pirates are OP.

And he’s pirates aren’t great at group combat. Unless the group is a bunch of LMB mashing samurai you just have to sit back RMB anything that comes and watch them kill each other.

But a group of Vikings or Spartans or even knights and the pirates have a pretty tough fight. Not to mention many of the pirates still have their guns out.

I can see how the blunder buss can be useful in FFA or in a multi team death match with no class restriction. But a pirate team won’t do that at all.

• @kywild:

Don’t make me laugh xD Pirates are still OP and so incredibly easy to play. They have insta hit altswings and alt overheads, i’d say their melee is superior to the other classes and the hipfiring is just riddiculous it takes no skill to hit with that shit xD

In terms of being easyasfuck/opnez2k13 i’d rate the classes as such:

Ninja>Pirate->Spartan->Knight->Viking->Samurai

haha viking second to last? give me a break.

• @Sol:

just because you are too shit to block a few lmb spamming noobs don’t make it any less so… knights have higher hp, better ranged options and way better weapons.

EDIT: nvm, don’t even reply i’m not gonna waste my breath arguing with some noname beginner.

• @kywild:

@Sol:

just because you are too shit to block a few lmb spamming noobs don’t make it any less so… knights have higher hp, better ranged options and way better weapons.

I think he might be talking about the fact that they throw everything at you and charge you down with fists.

• @lemonater47:

Pirates are OP becuase people are frightened by the loud bangs their guns make. Teams split up and run for cover which doesn’t actually work in this game they just become easy single targets.

On fjord they are OP becuase there are places for people to hide from them. I suggest a heroic charge towards the pirates everyone agrees and follows me.

First bloody volley and everyone runs behind he buildings except me. I’m the only target running towards them shield raised. When I reach the pirates I’m on very low health as I was the only target and I get stabbed by ten things at once. And since I didn’t survive and kill all ten Of them on my own everyone who ran off and hides didn’t think it was their fault at all. No, they think its becuase pirates are OP.

And he’s pirates aren’t great at group combat. Unless the group is a bunch of LMB mashing samurai you just have to sit back RMB anything that comes and watch them kill each other.

But a group of Vikings or Spartans or even knights and the pirates have a pretty tough fight. Not to mention many of the pirates still have their guns out.

I can see how the blunder buss can be useful in FFA or in a multi team death match with no class restriction. But a pirate team won’t do that at all.

well, all of your examples are kinda regarding run-of-the-mill early pub games with crappy players. sure, what you’re saying is true if a lot of common apes are jumping on the game, but we all know that you can’t balance a game without preparing it for implementation of skilled players (as time progresses.)

invite some knowledgable steam friends to play a mock-up pirate vs another class match, for example. there is no defeating a skilled pirate team.

• I see pirates making a good run of things when they have open ground and a wall at their backs.

@Ako17:

Torn Banner didn’t give in to the misguided hate in MW

As for this, I call shenanigans. TBS listened to the whiners from the very start - one of their greater mistakes, I think.

• @kywild:

@Sol:

EDIT: nvm, don’t even reply i’m not gonna waste my breath arguing with some noname beginner.

Perhaps if you would calm and compose yourself and have some respect you would be treated the same :).

My experience in the game spans many hours and high levels. Although im not comparing e-peens, I do have solid experience of this game, as it goes way back to AoC.

Viking is easier than playing spartan that’s for sure. Viking is easier to play not for the spam, but for their speed, high armour and arsenal.

You need a lesson in manners.