Spear stab combos

• They couldn’t combo stab in MW. Why was it allowed in this game?

Also parrying something thats clipping inside of your view is really weird.

• I’m guessing it’s the faster foot speed, the length of the spear is no longer quite the advantage it once was now that players can close gaps so quickly. Stabs, the spears’ primary attack, are also less effective because of it. So to compensate, they added combos.

• Spartan wouldn’t be as good.

• i think it’s an experiment, but i told TB long ago if they made the spears combo-able, they’d be overpowered. Disagree if you will, but they are. This is not me whining about going against them, this is me using them, and they’re overpowered with combos. But what the hey.

• @clayton-bigsby:

i think it’s an experiment, but i told TB long ago if they made the spears combo-able, they’d be overpowered. Disagree if you will, but they are. This is not me whining about going against them, this is me using them, and they’re overpowered with combos. But what the hey.

I don’t buy it. You whined about going against the ones in C:MW and they don’t even combo.

• im abusing it like crazy its ridicoulus how op it is

• As long as the combo doesn’t have a wide arc then its ok. Spear combos for spartan require precision. A bit of footwork and you can easily make your way past his defences. Kick, then pummel him in the face and its done. Now weapons like the naginata and esp viking spear are overpowered for example because of the wide swing arc that is comboed for a setup shot.

• @Mockingbirch:

I’m guessing it’s the faster foot speed, the length of the spear is no longer quite the advantage it once was now that players can close gaps so quickly. Stabs, the spears’ primary attack, are also less effective because of it. So to compensate, they added combos.

Timings were also sped up so it shouldn’t be any different to close the gap.

@lemonater47:

Spartan wouldn’t be as good.

Things like the Dory and Javelin have much shorter range than the Sarissa or Yari. I can understand the former weapons needing a combo, but the latter? With their knock backs?

@Sol:

As long as the combo doesn’t have a wide arc then its ok. Spear combos for spartan require precision. A bit of footwork and you can easily make your way past his defences. Kick, then pummel him in the face and its done. Now weapons like the naginata and esp viking spear are overpowered for example because of the wide swing arc that is comboed for a setup shot.

For some reason, I don’t find the Naginata to be difficult to fight against. The Sarissa, Viking spear (speed increases), and at times the Yari can be however because of the combo stabs. Each blocked stab just knocks you back making it really difficult to close the gap. You almost have to pray for a miss since it’s easier to land a stab at range.

Close quarters stabs like the ones required by the Dory and Jav are completely different.
    Why would you kick? You’re creating more gaps to close for no reason.

• When I use the yari and Viking spear I find that I kill people because of their own over eagerness. They windup and take a swing at you when they themselves are out of range.

I think knock and should be reduced on those spears. I don’t think it should for the sarrisa. Its longer but slower and does less net damage.

Parry, riposte and miss while waking forwards still works though. You can get right up to their faces. Though nobody does that in Deadliest warrior nor do they do in in medieval warfare either. Its even more effective in DW as you actually waste less stamina. You actually have to parry them about 4 times with their fast speeds to get in a suitable position to engage. As opposed to about two times in MW. Parry, riposte and miss means you only have to parry once and get a stamina penalty for the miss. If you hit them and they parry all you end up doing is knocking them back even further.

Once you are close you have a slight advantage. And you completely remove their advantage.

But I wouldn’t mind them having less knockback for the nooblets who try and attack from miles away so you just stab them in the face.

Also a big kick will give you a free hit. A small kick is bad for you.

Try and get close don’t just stand there and parry. Missing while walking towards them is a brilliant way of getting close. Best use a stab so you don’t accidentally get parried. Also don’t look like you are gonna miss. Wind up and aim at them then drag away. Some of them are smart cookies and if you look like you are gonna miss they might go for a quick stab or LMB.

• @lemonater47:

Once you are close you have a slight advantage. And you completely remove their advantage.

True, except perhaps for the sarissa. Aside from the utter ridiculousness of being able to stab that thing at someone who’s a foot away from you, the animation is difficult to notice once you get in close.

• @Funkmaster:

@lemonater47:

True, except perhaps for the sarissa. Aside from the utter ridiculousness of being able to stab that thing at someone who’s a foot away from you, the animation is difficult to notice once you get in close.

Well its not doing as much damage at that range.

• A good Samurai with the Yari or whatever the spear is called, it almost fucking impossible to beat. The stab does ridiculous damage, it winds up faster than you can close the distance and hit him, and even when you parry it knocks you back out of range. There’s a serious problem when a Samurai can beat a Spartan spear vs. spear because his is longer. The Viking spear is pretty rape, but I don’t see it as over-powered.

• @lemonater47:

@clayton-bigsby:

i think it’s an experiment, but i told TB long ago if they made the spears combo-able, they’d be overpowered. Disagree if you will, but they are. This is not me whining about going against them, this is me using them, and they’re overpowered with combos. But what the hey.

I don’t buy it. You whined about going against the ones in C:MW and they don’t even combo.

plz show me where i whined about spear, i mained the spear you noob. As i’ve proven to you in another post where idk where it went now. Probably still one of the better spear users out there.

• viewtopic.php?f=103&t=24698

OH here it is… 11th post down first page…

try again lemon.

but either way, comparing spears in DW vs. MW is a pointless argument, but you dont need combos in either MW or DW, talking about how the spear/brandi/fork can be overpowered in MW is a complete different story than DW. In MW, the spear h as range, speed (Slashes = speed + decent damage + one of the best flinchers) Damage, 2 shot van and lower, 3 shot knights. It’s excellent in both duel and 1 vs. many fights. Plus it has insane knockback, played correctly now you’ll never get inside a good spear users bubble of reach.

In DW however, you have BASICALLY all of that, but you also have an insane draggable weapon, much moreso than spartan spears, they can combo so even if you miss a long stab where you’re already out of range, you have 2 more tries. The slash speed is nowhere near as good, but they mostly hit unsuspecting users anyhow. So basically you have range, combos… and variety (you dont ahve to just do 3 thrusts. IF you chain your combos together you can do say 3 thrusts, overhead, then 3 MORE thrusts before stamina is out… OR you could even throw a slash in there if you felt like it. Samurais can also equip a bow for long range shots… and they have practically the same armor as knights if not the exact same armor now (doesn’t matter because HTK is the same).

So for those reasons above and possibly more than i mentioned, i would consider it a bit op, yes.

So, counter argument lemon?

wait wait… i’ll do it for you

Lemonater47 : " well, you could just run forward at them to close the distance, i’ll just acknowledge and reply to one thing you said, but completely ignore the rest of the two paragraphs you write because i’m the lead role in csi miami and i believe in shitty one-liners."

• OP against noobs who oblige by parrying every strike you do without trying to get closer until they run out of stamina or pull a suicidal move.

• but of course i expected your one liner response that doesn’t acknowledge or deny anything that i said previously… as always you contribute nothing with your 5000 garbage posts.

• i’m not really sure why they implemented these mechanics with the spears. as the spear weilder, the spartan should be the only one utilizing the spear so efficiently (to make him have his unique role in the game.) for example, IMO the naginata should be a pure offensive polearm weapon, whereas the yari should be more like the vanguard’s spear from MW (a defensive & cleanup weapon.)

i haven’t played in a bit, but from my experiences to that point the viking spear is fucked up for a few reasons, mechanic and game-wise. it’s objectively overpowered, and if you don’t think so you either haven’t utilized it enough, or you simply aren’t good enough to realize its potential.

i don’t know why i’m even talking about niche mechanics anymore, though. it has become evident that the development is focused on the “arcadey” feel with this one. the LMB is more powerful than it has ever been; that’s what you get when you have a prior title that had its playerbase ship out faster than the jews left egypt.

• @lemonater47:

Spartan wouldn’t be as good.

I disagree, the Spartan in its currant state is a really good class. However, I don’t believe it’s because of spear combos. As it stands the spear combos for a spartan can be as much a detriment as it is a help (as it is difficult to hit with the primary attack). Samurai and vikings however do not suffer from this problem and is just silly how easy it is to land and kill with there spears. I would like to see the game slowed down a tad but even if it isn’t spear combos just leads to silliness (I’m being nice).

If you do keep any combos I would agree it would make a nice spartan “ability”. However, I’d rather seen them taken out completely rather than left in the game.

• spartan is pretty bad regardless of spear combo or not

the whole class is just flawed on fundamental level

• @CRUSHED:

spartan is pretty bad regardless of spear combo or not

the whole class is just flawed on fundamental level

I couldn’t disagree more! In any situation the spartan is (IMO) the jack of all trades class. Duels, tdm, lts, vs big groups, vs smaller ones Etc… In every game type I have zero problem dealing with whats in front of me and staying on top of the score board without being a spammy mcspam. When I do play other classes I don’t have the feeling of “I wish my class was this good” and so forth. Are there problems, of coarse there are.

• We have terrible primary attacks with the spear and swords (excepts the xiphos)
    • We have very limited ranged attacks (although still effective if done right)
    • We have ZERO drag ability (unlike any other class and again WHY do our sword have funky attacks)
    • I’m pretty sure the hoplon was designed around the buckler (this is bad)
      and the list can go on.

The thing is we also have a ton of good things going for us. The point though is that the spartan plays the most different from any class in DW and MW (Skirmisher?). If you learn to embrace it you can do some serious damage with the spartan.