The thrown Dory. Pirates nor Ninja have any defence.

• This weapon has become the new beta blunderbuss. It 1 shots both pirates and ninja with a body shot. It can be thrown easily in melee situations, when face to face with an enemy. You can quickly pick it back up and throw it again. And it is quite accurate even while moving. A melee dominant class such as Spartan also wielding a 1 shot ranged weapon that cannot be defended against is rather frustrating, especially when playing a melee pirate only to have 5 Spartans throwing Dory’s over and over during a melee situation. A single kick and a pirate or ninja is pushed far enough away to quickly kill him with the Dory and draw his sword before the distance can be closed. It’s a weapon that allows even the worst players to beat most others.

You might say that pirate guns also penetrate shields, but it reduces the damage of the bullet by 70%, making it do very little damage, and the only time either of the firearms are a 1 shot kill is a close range head shot.

Do you consider this weapon balanced? Or too effective in many situations. I think at the very least the transition from melee to being able to throw should be slightly increased, and the accuracy while moving reduced.

• You need to be able to block it with a melee weapon IMO. You can block a tiny shuriken thrown by a ninja, a large spear wouldn’t be that hard to block.

• I think it’s nice that the Spartans have a spear that can one-shot the weaker classes, but I think the throwing animation needs some work.
    Even with 50 ms + 50ms lag, it’s impossible to react to a throw and dodge/raise shield. The very moment you see the throw animation, the spear has already traversed right to you in most situations. You have to anticipate the throw, kind of like a crossbow arrow. (Which I wouldn’t really have a problem with if the thing didn’t one-shot you as a weaker guy)

Anyway, I don’t think the Dory throw has been too problematic so far. Also, I really don’t think any changes to accuracy should be made.

• Ninjas aren’t exactly defenseless. They may be made of paper, but their roll can dodge spear throws just fine.

Pirates have a significant range advantage to begin with. I think it is reasonable for them to pay the price, should they let a Spartan get close enough to throw a spear.

@wyrda78:

You need to be able to block it with a melee weapon IMO. You can block a tiny shuriken thrown by a ninja, a large spear wouldn’t be that hard to block.

I don’t think that science is on your side this time. The momentum of a thrown shuriken isn’t all that intimidating. It’s a different story with a thrown spear.

• I believe you are able to parry any thrown projectiles, shurikens and shields are the easiest because they have a throw animation that can’t be stopped. I must admit that I never managed to parry a thrown spear, I managed to parry thrown viking weapon a few times though. Some claim they managed to parry even a spear, and that dazed them but not dealt any damage.

• Vikings, Knights, Spartans have shields - perfect defense, no point in discussing further

If you assume that the Spartan is not going to miss the thrown spear… the best is to interrupt the attack when he is readying the throw.

Ninjas just throw a shuriken. Samurais is the same, get your bow and interrupt. Pirates is the worst case scenario. You can do the same thing, but in different order. Either shoot first (interrupting) and then go melee, or go melee first, interrupt, and shoot after.

The game balance is really asymmetrical

• @Martys:

I believe you are able to parry any thrown projectiles, shurikens and shields are the easiest because they have a throw animation that can’t be stopped. I must admit that I never managed to parry a thrown spear, I managed to parry thrown viking weapon a few times though. Some claim they managed to parry even a spear, and that dazed them but not dealt any damage.

I don’t think you are able to parry thrown spears, at least not to my knowledge.

• @OmmNomNom:

If you assume that the Spartan is not going to miss the thrown spear… the best is to interrupt the attack when he is readying the throw.

I like how you answer w/o reading the OP’s post. He already told you why this suggestion is just silly in OP’s mentioned combat-situation. Reading-comprehension 0/10.

• @Martys:

I believe you are able to parry any thrown projectiles, shurikens and shields are the easiest because they have a throw animation that can’t be stopped. I must admit that I never managed to parry a thrown spear, I managed to parry thrown viking weapon a few times though. Some claim they managed to parry even a spear, and that dazed them but not dealt any damage.

I’ve even been crouching and could never parry a thrown spear.

• @OmmNomNom:

Vikings, Knights, Spartans have shields - perfect defense, no point in discussing further

Ninjas just throw a shuriken. Samurais is the same, get your bow and interrupt. Pirates is the worst case scenario. You can do the same thing, but in different order. Either shoot first (interrupting) and then go melee, or go melee first, interrupt, and shoot after.

The game balance is really asymmetrical

I have actually found you can combo the spartan and he can headshot you with a spear in the middle of your combo. I am talking about combo with a one handed weapon or regular katana too. The game does not reliably stop people from shooting you when you are hitting them which is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Perhaps shuriken to reliably stop the spear throw, I havent played a lot of ninja. But asking a samurai to have his bow out while basically being in melee range is just plain ignorant.

• Rolling works as ninja. If they are close and are ready to throw you roll towards them doesn’t work 100% though but you get close as you get to hit them as they are throwing.

Reloading pirates are pretty much screwed. Then again they should be.

As pirate its best to run around looking like you are having a spasm. Only real chance you have.

In the alpha you used to be able to parry spears. You could parry bullets. Thing is spears were the easiest shit to parry when thrown. Nobody complained but I think maybe torn banner caught on and changed in somewhere down the line. Or it possibly bugged out.

• All you have to do as a pirate/ninja to counter this is to just learn to strafe unpredictably. Ninja also has his roll as well. I see no problem with the Dory.

• @Flippy:

All you have to do as a pirate/ninja to counter this is to just learn to strafe unpredictably. Ninja also has his roll as well. I see no problem with the Dory.

On a good enemy this doesn’t work I’m afraid.

• @HammelGammel:

@Flippy:

All you have to do as a pirate/ninja to counter this is to just learn to strafe unpredictably. Ninja also has his roll as well. I see no problem with the Dory.

Well if you roll before he throws it your an idiot and a bad enemy would be able to hit you. Roll when you see his arm move. Because of latency as soon as you start rolling on his screen his spear would have just left his hand.

And strafing doesn’t really work.

• it’s kind of like… hmm… the pirate guns how NOONE has any defense in ANY circumstance?

oh yes, and make sure that when you go up to archers or anyone throwing stuff at you, make sure to zig zag. great advice lemon! don’t forget to zig zag kids… it’ll save yer noggin!

• @Sir:

@wyrda78:

You need to be able to block it with a melee weapon IMO. You can block a tiny shuriken thrown by a ninja, a large spear wouldn’t be that hard to block.

I don’t think that science is on your side this time. The momentum of a thrown shuriken isn’t all that intimidating. It’s a different story with a thrown spear.

If we’re talking science, intimidation means jack. A shuriken or arrow flies much faster than a spear; I don’t know about parrying as you generally don’t want to blunt or bend your sword but you can certainly see it coming and side step it from the ridiculous throw distance TB thinks weapons work at.

• @clayton-bigsby:

it’s kind of like… hmm… the pirate guns how NOONE has any defense in ANY circumstance?

oh yes, and make sure that when you go up to archers or anyone throwing stuff at you, make sure to zig zag. great advice lemon! don’t forget to zig zag kids… it’ll save yer noggin!

Except that they actually can defend againced bullets, shields reduce bullet damage by 70%, a huge amount, nor are guns ever 1 shot kill to the body. Zig zagging will only save you against the really bad players, the players who spam the dory as a way of life will wait and laugh as you zig-zag. I call it doing the serpent and it hardly saves me either.

And the fire bomb for pirate does not do anything to help prevent a weapon being thrown. The flame bottle should heavily reduce accuracy but it doesn’t. I play Sabre + Fire bomb pirate.

• @HammelGammel:

@Flippy:

Maybe 5% of the people who play DW are good players.

• @clayton-bigsby:

it’s kind of like… hmm… the pirate guns how NOONE has any defense in ANY circumstance?

When did I say zig zag? No one said it.

Stop taking things people say and turning it into what you want to hear. In fact according to Keith that’s why torn banner don’t communicate much, because of people like you.

• @Flippy:

Maybe 5% of the people who play DW are good players.

This.

That being said, there definitely seem to be some issues with the dory, and spears in general - at least, in my humble opinion, there are.

Now, I HAVE parried thrown Spartan spears on a few occasions, though it was too hectic for me to say whether or not any of them were the dory.

That being said, remember in MW how javelin archers had a fairly lengthy windup to the throw? And how they were almost completely open for about a second after the throw? I think we could use a lot more of that on the Spartans.

Most of the other ranged weapons seem reasonable. Except maybe viking shield-throwing. Man, those things are like a discus - I’ve gotten headshot kills with them from 50 metres away. Very satisfying, but probably a little overpowered.