High-Skill Game I Can Play for a Long Time

• Hey guys, I want to play a new game that has a high-skill ceiling that I can really sink my teeth into. Here’s a list of games I’ve already tried.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (boring)
    Natural Selection 2 (I used to play it competitively)
    Quake Live (bit too hardcore lol)
    Chivalry: Medieval Warfare (duh)
    Team Fortress 2 (800+ hours. I’ve had my fill)
    Dota 2 (boring)
    League of Legends (boring)
    Tribes: Ascend (It’s dead)

• mount & blade warband - huge skill ceiling + almost purely mechanical skill

otherwise i would suggest QL or NS2 but you already listed that

• America’s Army: Proving Grounds.

• @Keith:

America’s Army: Proving Grounds.

Ew.

• my hopes for next sick competitive games:

Mount & blade 2 bannerlord (this will be the rise of melee scene)
    DOOM 4 MP (oldschool arena fps, hopefully)
    Reborn (new genre)

the last 2 are a year off or so tho :(

also LOL op you are exactly the same as me in terms of games except switch NS2 with QL ( i played QL comp but found NS2 a bit too hardcore) lol

• @CRUSHED:

my hopes for next sick competitive games:

Mount & blade 2 bannerlord (this will be the rise of melee scene)
    DOOM 4 MP (oldschool arena fps, hopefully)
    Reborn (new genre)

the last 2 are a year off or so tho :(

also LOL op you are exactly the same as me in terms of games except switch NS2 with QL ( i played QL comp but found NS2 a bit too hardcore) lol

That’s funny haha.

• Try M&B warband and keep on goin’ with NS2

• i have to add that NS2 was a big turnoff for me beacause of its major fps problems

• Definitly M&B:Warband (Napoleonic wars if you want to play in a clan) or M&B:WFaS.

• Try the Starcraft series!
    I played Starcraft: BroodWar, Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty, and Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm for years and I still go back to it here and there. It kinda built me into the competitive gamer I am now…

I kinda regret not trying hard to go “pro” in SC2… Rank 1 Masters Protoss and I just stopped playing one day… -lesigh- So much potential lost :<

Edit:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH4w7UZV3NA

• @Sydney:

Try the Starcraft series!
    I played Starcraft: BroodWar, Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty, and Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm for years and I still go back to it here and there. It kinda built me into the competitive gamer I am now…

I kinda regret not trying hard to go “pro” in SC2… Rank 1 Masters Protoss and I just stopped playing one day… -lesigh- So much potential lost :<

Edit:

I’ve tried playing SC2 and it just felt way too shallow. I grew up on the Age of Empires games. Multiple different resources, wall-building, etc. SC2 felt really…simple.

• @CRUSHED:

i have to add that NS2 was a big turnoff for me beacause of its major fps problems

The FPS problems were fixed months ago. So you may want to try it out again. The EU scene is very hardcore though. It’s scary 0_0

• @Flippy:

@Sydney:

Try the Starcraft series!

Edit:

I’ve tried playing SC2 and it just felt way too shallow. I grew up on the Age of Empires games. Multiple different resources, wall-building, etc. SC2 felt really…simple.

I’m kind of a SC fanboy but I feel like calling the Starcraft series simple because it has only two different resources is a bit superficial. However, I don’t know much about the AoE series so I can’t comment on that either.

And I loved SC:BW…If you’re familiar with iccup (http://www.iccup.com/), I managed to get to C- with Zerg, that was quite an accomplishment for myself haha.

• @Flippy:

I guess it gets shallow when you use the same build for ever game. I guess it’s good for bronze levels to use the same build to learn the game, but the funnest part of SC2 for me was when I started making my own builds, and learned how to multitask to the point where I could harass with phoenix and keep my macro up at the same time.

I guess it’s shallow until you get past the bronze/silver stages. I love SC2 because if you fuck up one thing, that could be the game. If you forget to build units for 10 seconds, if you lose 2 zealots, if you mess up your marine micro for just a second, it could lose you the HUGE lead you had and cause you to lose the game.

Also Custom games are fun too :D

• Hello Kitty Island Adventure has a steep learning curve.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Hello Kitty Island Adventure has a steep learning curve.

Too hardcore for my taste.

• If you don’t have anything against old isometric turn-based sprite games, then I recommend Fallout. Pretty steep learning curve and punishing as fuck… unless you know the exploits and how to do a speedrun. Or well, Fallout 2 is better imo, it has more stuff.

EDIT: Although… you ask for “high-skill games” and Fallout doesn’t require much skill per se, as it is an RPG. Your character is the one with the skills, you just tell him when to use them and apply tactics. Speaking of tactics, Fallout Tactics is much more skill-based, taking cover, setting up ambushes, playing in real time etc., but it’s kind of boring in the longer run.

• Try out Smite maybe ? Kinda interesting game.

• Quake 3 Defrag is very high skilled. Strafe pads in lanes and circle jumping then the rocket jumps up walls 3 r/j walls even plasma climbs and its First person! I even stuck some demos on the tube.

• War Thunder and Aces High have some of the largest skill ceilings there is. Learning curve is many months if not a year in some cases as Aces High is still more in depth than War Thunder but they are slowly catching up and have better graphics.