Review of DW / Pros and Cons.

• @Mockingbirch:

@lemonater47:

And how are they gonna implement 6 team TO?

They don’t, is there some rule that every game of Deadliest Warrior needs six teams? I’d be perfectly happy if they just ported MW’s objective maps over.

Well you could probably did a way in the SDK to do that.

• @Flippy:

#7: LMB spam sucks, and rarely works. It only works sometimes because people forget there’s a parry mechanic. Also it’s a new game and the noobs come. Eventually the noobs will get better and use more overheads and stabs. (They already use plenty from what I’ve seen) Also mindless comboing and missed swings…I fuck people who do that. So do any good players. It is very easy to punish missed swings…you just let them miss, then attack. Also, good footwork is just as important as it was in MW, if not more so because of the speeds. I’ve won a 1v5 with Ninja before with good footwork. That whole con is moot.

While I appreciate how you are not intentionally flaming me - im afraid im going to have to empty both barrels on this, because you are definitely indirectly implying that my criticism of the combat system stems from my own lack of ability.

Perhaps that I am a ‘noob’, because I find that LMB is has easily the best overall usefulness/profile as an attack, considering three things - speed of attacks/ease of hitting/damage dealt. To elaborate, It is **by far **easiest to land, still very fast (fast enough to hit trade any of the other attacks thrown at roughly the same time) and still does strong damage. Is this really debatable?

Have you ever played for a team in CMW? Call me elitist but, if you want to make speculation about me as a player, I want to know which team you played for :P. As for Lemon, Oceana pretty much never even had competitive play so, I dont require an answer. ;).

Perhaps I wasnt clear when I say ‘spam’. It probably looks like I mean wildly repeatedly clicking lmb while running at enemies brainlessly - thats not difficult to deal with, no. Whereas I meant ‘spam’ to be referring more to generally using the LMB attack the majority of the time, albeit whilst paying attention to timing - and being precise with it.

Im careful with my timing, but in DW I’ve (along with everyone else) been using LMB most of the time - because its often the best option, especially as an initial attack. If I land the attack without a hit trade, ill then usually use stabs and overheads as second attacks in a combo, otherwise the risk of missing the attack and receiving an LMB for my trouble is too high to really bother with.

–---------------------------------------

Movement. Because you move so much faster now, using movement to dodge attacks is easier - simples. Because of slow footwork in CMW, you had to be more precise because every inch counted when you were timing swing speeds and distances, whereas in DW you can dance around all over the place without too much precision and avoid attacks with relative ease - again why LMB is the best option for landing attacks on these wriggling opponents that aren’t facing you. I rest my case.

Alas, to confirm I am not a total fool - thanks to the lovely statistics feature, I can also point out that for DW I have 338 kills and 90 deaths overall in the final version, with 140 duel wins to 30 losses, all the while not even playing the game seriously. Yeah - I played the beta more and ive hardly played the final game much overall, but frankly I’m so bored by it that I have no desire to play it any more - either.

• @magilla:

i’m somewhat inclined to agree with you… i think that a lot of the appeal in mw’s combat is lost within dw. playing for a while in dw seems like it will be a much more diminishing return. succeeding, and becoming better at the game does not have the same thrill, and i don’t see myself sinking so many hours into this one. the air is quirky, the feel almost comical. the fast pace delivers an arcade-like feel. much of the intensity is lost.

This sums up how I feel really. I had so much fun progressing and getting better at the vanilla game despite its flaws, but here it just feels meh.

• @Triumphant:

@magilla guerrilla:

i’m somewhat inclined to agree with you… i think that a lot of the appeal in mw’s combat is lost within dw. playing for a while in dw seems like it will be a much more diminishing return. succeeding, and becoming better at the game does not have the same thrill, and i don’t see myself sinking so many hours into this one. the air is quirky, the feel almost comical. the fast pace delivers an arcade-like feel. much of the intensity is lost.

This sums up how I feel really. I had so much fun progressing and getting better at the vanilla game despite its flaws, but here it just feels meh.

He doesn’t feel this way because DW is a worse game, it’s because he was new when he played MW. when chivalry came out, all of us were noobs (barring some AoC players - but we had to get used to comboing, feinting).

When you play DW and compare the experience to MW and say well it doesn’t feel like im getting better…it’s because you are familiar with the combat system. Look at every “3” in every sequel. Modernwarfare 3, Assassin’s creed 3, Battlefield 3, Gears of war 3. They get the low reviews because People are familiar with the gameplay. To say that DW doesn’t offer the same amount of skill increase is silly.

I personally feel there is huge progression in the game. Particularly because of the variety of classes and how they play. Playing spartan is a whole different story to a knight, or a ninja.

• Turd,

Flippy plays for Tempest in CMW. Want to scrim us some time? ;)

• @Mystikkal:

Turd,

DID YOU SAY SCRIM?! I WANNA SCRIM >:D

• He doesn’t feel this way because DW is a worse game, it’s because he was new when he played MW. when chivalry came out, all of us were noobs (barring some AoC players - but we had to get used to comboing, feinting).

When you play DW and compare the experience to MW and say well it doesn’t feel like im getting better…it’s because you are familiar with the combat system. Look at every “3” in every sequel. Modernwarfare 3, Assassin’s creed 3, Battlefield 3, Gears of war 3. They get the low reviews because People are familiar with the gameplay. To say that DW doesn’t offer the same amount of skill increase is silly.

I personally feel there is huge progression in the game. Particularly because of the variety of classes and how they play. Playing spartan is a whole different story to a knight, or a ninja.

sol, please refrain from speaking about my mindset as though you are viewing it introspectively. in other words; do not put words in my mouth.

this is no matter of nostalgia; this is me looking forward at the future of dw. with mw, i felt the intensity–the grit. every individual battle was methodical and medium-paced. death became almost unacceptable. in the era before most of the true competitive players abandoned ship, i came to find that the game had no diminishing return. after some questionable changes, however, the game’s skill ceiling began to lower, adapting to reconcile the frustration of newer, less experienced players. the interest in competition died with this, but the game retained a fragment its intensity (for me.) i still feel tested at times when i play.

with dw, i find myself just starting to… not care. dw has no competitive potential, or spirit at its core. it is largely comedic, more parody than expansion to its distant cousin mw. it is fun to jump on for a bit, hack and slash at high speed. it is interesting to look at the different classes, test your skills. but ultimately what am i playing towards? even when topping the leaderboard, i simply don’t care about performance in this game. plenty of people don’t.

it is fun to jump on for a bit, hack and slash at high speed… and then i log off, but i don’t think about it or wonder if i got better. i don’t feel satisfied when i use throwing weapons or sprint around people’s backs at lightning speed, lmb wildly to great effect. 90% of the time, i feel like a jerk playing the game.

what do we have left? mw, a shard of what it once was and what it could have been, and dw, this alternate-universe expansion, bereft of the soul that made chivalry what it was.

my $0.02.

• i agree,the sad thing is when a company release a good product and then the next one is worse and it’s happening often lately

• @Mystikkal:

Turd,

Oh, NA. Assumed you were EU!

Im sure you WOULD be desperate to scrim someone! I cant imagine theres many of those going around these days. You prolly already know that most of the successful EU teams are disbanded due to the poor prognosis for the future of chiv, save for a couple that remain - cant imagine its much different in NA? Barren wasteland out there now.

I guess we could argue about skill etc etc but, the only evidence worth looking at is that probably near 80% the people that were interested in the competitive side of this game have virtually all left, and its not because the game is getting better. Its not my word on yours, or my skill on yours - its the truth of whats happened.

Continue enjoying DW I guess, if you truly believe the combat system to be an improvement then im happy for you, and sad that I cant bring myself to feel the same.

Also, magilla guerilla is pretty much bang on aligned with my thoughts really. Sol - if this expansion was supposed to breathe life into a game we were all growing ‘bored of’, then its failed, surely?

I loved MW, the thing that started to make me lose interest was not necessarily boredom - it was the knowledge of its grim future, that was going no-where but down. The sad truth.

• Turd, you are correct. The competitive scene in NA is dead as well. Even more dead after the last Tourney. There is literally no one to scrim against. It’s a shame that TB has ignored a game that had so much potential. The worst part about it all…. silence from them. Seems like I 2 will need to start looking for a new game… its a shame, loved my chiv

• fortunately, i think it’s only a matter of time before someone emulates and perfects the formula, as all things go.

• Man, it makes me sad! :(. Was just on the FF server chatting to a couple of them about it cus they still ‘exist’ as a team (old timers, inseperable haha), n they seem pretty dejected about chiv. It just doesnt have a future competitively. Sad cus I know how long theyve been around for I guess lol.

I missed out, I came into competitive play on the tail end of the famous patch that killed the game - just as all the teams were starting to decline and when droves of the really good players disappeared off. Guess I missed the golden era with daily scrims n a wealth of opponents hah!

The way that I describe it is… TB Gave me a lovely puppy for christmas. I loved that puppy. Then they murdered it. Right in front of my eyes. Then they gave me a lizard. A really boring lizard. Which I had to pay for. Alas.

I dont really know what to replace chivalry with, tbh! Even though naught but ash remains of its community. Finding a new game is hard. CS:GO is okay for a while but, it doesnt hold me quite like MW did.