Please explain the logic behind Bo Staff?

• Honestly, I just don’t even. It is the most crutch weapon I have ever seen… someone please explain why it has good range, high damage (lol its wooden bitch), speed, and dumb animations?

Not venting or anything, I just want to possibly see someone back up this perfectly balanced weapon.

• I think it should just do less damage, and have differently colored tracers like most other weapons.

In the current beta for DW, they’ve changed the animations of the staff. I don’t know about the damage, I think it’s about the same.

• @B4RK:

I think it should just do less damage, and have differently colored tracers like most other weapons.

In the current beta for DW, they’ve changed the animations of the staff. I don’t know about the damage, I think it’s about the same.

It’s just insane. You give the most agile class a long range high damage fast weapon. I don’t understand it.

• @Khyy:

@B4RK:

I think it should just do less damage, and have differently colored tracers like most other weapons.

It’s just insane. You give the most agile class a long range high damage fast weapon. I don’t understand it.

It was much better in the early beta. I think it did less damage back then, and nobody complained.
    Then, for whatever reason, the devs decided to redden all the tracers for the staff, as well as increasing the damage of overhead and pokes. (along with other Ninja weapons)
    I don’t think the Ninjas ever needed a buff other than fixing the roll (which they did) and the bo staff kick, but oh well.

But as I said, they are working on nerfing the staff.

• @B4RK:

@Khyy:

@B4RK:

It was much better in the early beta. I think it did less damage back then, and nobody complained.
    Then, for whatever reason, the devs decided to redden all the tracers for the staff, as well as increasing the damage of overhead and pokes. (along with other Ninja weapons)
    I don’t think the Ninjas ever needed a buff other than fixing the roll (which they did) and the bo staff kick, but oh well.

They need to make the tracers go back to normal not continue to nerf it stat wise.

I though they said they knew about this bug.

• @lemonater47:

I though they said they knew about this bug.

At this point, I’m almost convinced the red tracers are intended. I don’t know much about programming, but surely it shouldn’t be that hard to revert a property of a weapon? If you check out the beta, you’ll see that they’ve reanimated the Bo staff attacks, but haven’t touched the tracer colors.

The overhead attack is no longer possible to abuse by looking down and instahit someone with. However, they should really implement different colors for the swing.

• Hmm, no wonder. It does an insane amount of damage in my opinion for the speed/range at which it has. I agree with you bro, I think ninja were perfectly fine outside of their roll. Now they decided to increase their damage across the board and it’s bullshit.

Good ninja (which are hard to find now) use to be exciting to see. I use to be like, “oh fuck I got rolled”. Now it’s just oh I got 3 shot by a class who’s speed is unmatched. It really kills me when i’m mid swing and they can poke before my swing lands. ;(

• 1. It used to do much more damage
    2. It used to have horrible animations and bad tracers to go along with it, which is why it usually did like 50-75% of its normal damage, making it seem week
    3. Now it does less damage, (pretty much the same as Ninjato)
    4. Now it has better, SLOWER, animations.

I don’t think the weapon is OP, I still prefer the ninjato.

• @FallDown:

1. It used to do much more damage
    2. It used to have horrible animations and bad tracers to go along with it, which is why it usually did like 50-75% of its normal damage, making it seem week

Are you talking about current beta or live version?

• Bo Staff tracers were originally all red because the animation caused it to hit with both ends of the staff, meaning a properly aimed attack would actually hit instantly for blue damage if you were up close. The damage was obviously too high when taking this into account, and overall it was decided this was just a silly solution either way - so it’s been reanimated to fix the instant hits. The tracers should be fixed soon, the fact that they weren’t when the animations were changed was a simple miscommunication.

I don’t think the staff was really numerically overpowered, just the fact that you could hit at the very start of release for full damage and not even have to accelerate your attacks by looking down/to the side made it “feel” a lot faster than it was. Before it was given all red tracers it was weak because you’d be hitting at the very start of release, yes, but you’d be doing half damage as a direct result.

• @FallDown:

1. It used to do much more damage

Damn right. Ninjato 4 lyfe.

• @B4RK:

@Khyy:

@B4RK:

No.

It was much worse in the early beta. It did less damage back then and people complained. It was a worthless weapon because you’d always get blue damage. They nerfed the overall damage since now it’s all in the red.

Blunts are better against armor. I’d always switch to staff when I’m up against a knight or samurai and maybe even a viking.

• Game is updating, let’s see how the Bo Staff’s changed!

• @SlyGoat:

Bo Staff tracers were originally all red because the animation caused it to hit with both ends of the staff, meaning a properly aimed attack would actually hit instantly for blue damage if you were up close. The damage was obviously too high when taking this into account, and overall it was decided this was just a silly solution either way - so it’s been reanimated to fix the instant hits. The tracers should be fixed soon, the fact that they weren’t when the animations were changed was a simple miscommunication.

I don’t think the staff was really numerically overpowered, just the fact that you could hit at the very start of release for full damage and not even have to accelerate your attacks by looking down/to the side made it “feel” a lot faster than it was. Before it was given all red tracers it was weak because you’d be hitting at the very start of release, yes, but you’d be doing half damage as a direct result.

Great response Sly, you pretty much confirmed everything I needed to know. Hope it gets fixed soon, it’s a bit insane right now.

• Bo Staff is still rocking all Red Tracers

@SlyGoat:

I don’t think the staff was really numerically overpowered, just the fact that you could hit at the very start of release for full damage and not even have to accelerate your attacks by looking down/to the side made it “feel” a lot faster than it was.

That is exactly what you would call numerically overpowered.

@SlyGoat:

Before it was given all red tracers it was weak

Also not true. Hugging someone accelerated the attack into the blue tracers the same as it does for just about every single other weapon. Take a couple steps back into your weapons optimal range and you’ll be doing full damage again.

Saying the instant love taps from the staff made it underpowered is like calling the Mace’s stab underpowered.

Am I the only one that saw the instant love taps as a useful quirk of the weapon? You honestly didn’t need to touch any of the tracers.

• @WarCrab:

Bo Staff is still rocking all Red Tracers

@SlyGoat:

I don’t think the staff was really numerically overpowered, just the fact that you could hit at the very start of release for full damage and not even have to accelerate your attacks by looking down/to the side made it “feel” a lot faster than it was.

That is exactly what you would call numerically overpowered.

@SlyGoat:

Before it was given all red tracers it was weak

Also not true. Hugging someone accelerated the attack into the blue tracers the same as it does for just about every single other weapon. Take a couple steps back into your weapons optimal range and you’ll be doing full damage again.

Saying the instant love taps from the staff made it underpowered is like calling the Mace’s stab underpowered.

Am I the only one that saw the instant love taps as a useful quirk of the weapon? You honestly didn’t need to touch any of the tracers.

Probably. Everyone else was too busy crying that a instant hit weapon wasn’t strong enough. So, the new patch didn’t include the fix he was talking about?

I’d just like for the weapon to be slower like all ranged melee weapons. Right now, you don’t stand a chance against someone spamming it unless they suck.

• @Khyy:

So, the new patch didn’t include the fix he was talking about?

The tracers from the butt of the staff were removed so it no longer hits instantly as easily, but it’s still possible to accelerate for full damage with all red tracers.

Also, could I ask which dev came up with this idea?
    @SlyGoat:

Bo Staff tracers were originally all red because the animation caused it to hit with both ends of the staff

You know… for future reference.

@SlyGoat:

The damage was obviously too high when taking this into account, and overall it was decided this was just a silly solution either way

Sure. Silly.

• After having some splendid Ninja duels with Falldown, I can say that I really appreciate the new staff. It’s still a very good weapon, but it certainly feels more fair now. ^^

• @Khyy:

Probably. Everyone else was too busy crying that a instant hit weapon wasn’t strong enough. So, the new patch didn’t include the fix he was talking about?

I’d just like for the weapon to be slower like all ranged melee weapons. Right now, you don’t stand a chance against someone spamming it unless they suck.

It’s slower now. The best part is, I think the staff is better now than it was before… It can DRAG. 8-)