About the Spartan shield bash

• No, the reason most people have trouble blocking it is not due to lag. The tracers of both the regular and alt. shield bash have the ability to steer past a players block or parry at close range. In order to successfully parry these attack, a player must turn at least 90 degrees, it would seem, in the direction of the very fast attack. No other attack in the game that’s swung from dead ahead makes a player do this.

So what do you people think? Is the bash in need of a “fix”? I haven’t seen much discussion about the attack on the forums outside a number of posts calling it annoying.
    Also, I recorded a video demonstrating the phenomenon against a bot in case you’re not sure what I’m talking about, but I think it’d be better to demonstrate it with a fellow human.

• No. Shield would be useless as a weapon.

• @Nihilum:

No. Shield would be useless as a weapon.

Yes, to keep weapon viable let’s give it bullshit abilities, seems fair enough. I’m tired of these posts, “don’t nerf spartans, the shield bash was all they had”. well yeah if you want the class to be all about ruining people’s fun by bypassing the basic game design then yes. But there’s a bloody truckload of ways how to make them viable and still fair.

To the point, I believe the shield bash should have the white tracers as weapons have, which help with parrying. It’s rather frustrating that it’s more or less unblockable if face-hugged.

• What you want the bubble back to normal size so they don’t facehug you any more?

Look to the left or right depending on where its coming from. You’ll find you are more likely to parry the shield bash.

• @B4RK:

No, the reason most people have trouble blocking it is not due to lag. The tracers of both the regular and alt. shield bash have the ability to steer past a players block or parry at close range. In order to successfully parry these attack, a player must turn at least 90 degrees, it would seem, in the direction of the very fast attack. No other attack in the game that’s swung from dead ahead makes a player do this.

So what do you people think? Is the bash in need of a “fix”? I haven’t seen much discussion about the attack on the forums outside a number of posts calling it annoying.
    Also, I recorded a video demonstrating the phenomenon against a bot in case you’re not sure what I’m talking about, but I think it’d be better to demonstrate it with a fellow human.

You ever play MW?

What do you want? Parries to be overly intuitive, so that you can list lazily to either side and parry anything? Wait, that’s basically how parrying works in the game; nevermind.

Either way, no. Once you get used to it that shit is easy as hell to block. The only thing it has going for it, with its range, is the fact that it forces you to lose your balance by looking away, making you susceptible to a stab if you don’t turn back fast enough. In essence it is the only wide arcing main Spartan attack, so it makes sense for the arc to be very wide. If you’re used to parrying dragging, you’ll have no problem with this attack unless it surprises you, as dragging often emulated this “wide arc” style of attack.

• @B4RK:

shield bash have the ability to steer past a players block or parry at close range.

Every other weapon can do this, and do it better. It is called the slash.

Sword slashes are Spartans’ overhead attack, shield bash is Spartans’ slash attack.

Does it make more sense now?

@Martys:

Yes, to keep weapon viable let’s give it bullshit abilities, seems fair enough.

Yes, that is fair. Shield bash is the Spartans’ slash.

Swap Spartans’ scroll down with his M1 and everything will make perfect sense.

• Did 3/5 of you people even read my post?

@magilla:

@B4RK:

No, the reason most people have trouble blocking it is not due to lag. The tracers of both the regular and alt. shield bash have the ability to steer past a players block or parry at close range. In order to successfully parry these attack, a player must turn at least 90 degrees, it would seem, in the direction of the very fast attack. No other attack in the game that’s swung from dead ahead makes a player do this.

You ever play MW?

What do you want? Parries to be overly intuitive, so that you can list lazily to either side and parry anything? Wait, that’s basically how parrying works in the game; nevermind.

Either way, no. Once you get used to it that shit is easy as hell to block. The only thing it has going for it, with its range, is the fact that it forces you to lose your balance by looking away, making you susceptible to a stab if you don’t turn back fast enough. In essence it is the only wide arcing main Spartan attack, so it makes sense for the arc to be very wide. If you’re used to parrying dragging, you’ll have no problem with this attack unless it surprises you, as dragging often emulated this “wide arc” style of attack.

I asked what the community here thought about the bash. Please note that I never called the shield bash a problem in my post.
    And, no. I never wanted parries to be as easy as they are for the most part. However, I think it’s curious that a weapon that’s swung in front of an opponent easily manages to technically hit him in the back with no regard to the big shield area. (Also, that the one attack in the game that actually has the player aim their block is among the fastest.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUNF8VfBGd4 - For people who don’t understand what I’m saying.

• Yes, this is a good thing. Every other class has a way to hit around parries, and with this so does spartan.

I can do the same thing in your video with every weapon.

• Have you tried the naginata stab? it works its way around a block as well.

So does the Skeggox slash.

So does the kama

So does the boarding axe

and so does the halberd.

Spartan’s shield is a weapon in itself, and also has the workaround, although its limited in range and leaves you open for attack.

It’s only a problem if you focus on one class. Every class has it.

• @B4RK:

Did 3/5 of you people even read my post?

I asked what the community here thought about the bash. Please note that I never called the shield bash a problem in my post.

I did read your post, and I answered it adequately. I responded the way that I did because you simply engaging in the act of starting this thread drives the implication that you find the attack problematic. Why else would you take the time?

I will re-answer with implications aside. NO. The only thing the attack has going for it is the surprise/balance throws, as parrying it is rather simple after encountering it a few times.

• Okay, then. Seems like reasonable arguments to why it should remain unchanged. Though, my experience with many weapons has really differed from yours, it seems.

Oh well!