Viking Throwables: Ripostes Enabled/Holding Throw Disabled

• @Flippy:

You can still react to it to parry.

I completely disagree. If you’re in the US we can get together and put this to the test but I do believe it’s not feasible to do this.

@CRUSHED:

there should be no throwables at all they are all dumb as fuck

Haha as long as they’re parryable what’s the hurt?

• @WarCrab:

@Flippy:

You can still react to it to parry.

I completely disagree. If you’re in the US we can get together and put this to the test but I do believe it’s not feasible to do this.

@CRUSHED:

Well, in very close range yeah, it’s probably impossible to react to it without predicting it ahead of time. But medium to long range it’s possible to react to it. Not easy, but possible.

• @Flippy:

Well, in very close range yeah, it’s probably impossible to react to it without predicting it ahead of time.

That’s really the problem I’m getting at.

I honestly don’t see any reason why holding a throw should even be an ability. It would be fine if it was just with daggers or firepot really. But the viking weapons do an incredible amount of damage and can even 1 shot.

• @WarCrab:

CRUSHED wrote:there should be no throwables at all they are all dumb as fuck

they help to deconstruct melee combat, adding a nuisance element.

also it’s not easy to parry multiple throwing weapons flying at you from all directions in team matches. :D

• @WarCrab:

@Flippy:

Well, in very close range yeah, it’s probably impossible to react to it without predicting it ahead of time.

That’s really the problem I’m getting at.

I honestly don’t see any reason why holding a throw should even be an ability. It would be fine if it was just with daggers or firepot really. But the viking weapons do an incredible amount of damage and can even 1 shot.

agreed. holding a throw is ridiculous. it’s basically the same as being able to hold your weapon back (except more damaging.)

• I can’t relate to the first issue you had, but the second one I agree with. By the time your brain can recognize the actual throw, the weapon has already traveled far enough to hit you. (And that’s with standard ping)
    Maybe they should just remove the ability to postpone the throw indefinitely. I seem to be doing all right with throws, using just a quick click on the MMB. Or maybe they could tweak the release animation if you hold the throw back?
    Or, of course, they could leave it be. I’m enjoying the game nevertheless. (But I think I’d prefer removing the throw hold)

• Holding throws is retarded and should be removed.

• @B4RK:

Maybe they should just remove the ability to postpone the throw indefinitely.

That’s exactly what I’m asking for.

• What about if they hold it they have to do a slightly longer windup when they finally release, but if they tap its normal?

• it’s not that they can hold it that I don’t like, it’s mostly the speed of the weapon and the bad animation that comes along with it! For some weapon it’s normal, but some weapons like axes, it just seem like it flew off their hands at light speed ! It should be thrown with the same speed like the throwing axe in chiv!

• @dragonmith:

What about if they hold it they have to do a slightly longer windup when they finally release, but if they tap its normal?

What would the point of that be?

• @WarCrab:

@dragonmith:

What about if they hold it they have to do a slightly longer windup when they finally release, but if they tap its normal?

What would the point of that be?

It would make the throw predictable if held, because you could see the windup. Actually not a bad idea.

• @Mockingbirch:

It would make the throw predictable if held, because you could see the windup. Actually not a bad idea.

I mean why would anyone want to hold it then?

• It would still be slightly faster than tossing from the start, just not an instant attack like it is now. Failing that, you could still get someone to parry early, its just a smaller window.

And some other reason I forgot. Opps

• On one hand I completely agree but on the other I like to play Spartan and it’s rather hard to just ever hit anything without a bit of aim before the throw. So if this gets implemented, it is only a question of time before people start wanting the same for Spartans.

But I don’t know, it appears to me that tossing a hatched without long aiming is actually easy while tossing any of the Spartan tossables is quite hard. So I guess the change would only go to Vikings? Hopefully?

Oh yeah and don’t forget throwing knifes, are they really so lame that no-one considers them?

• @Martys:

But I don’t know, it appears to me that tossing a hatched without long aiming is actually easy while tossing any of the Spartan tossables is quite hard.

This is kind of reasonable, considering the damage that the Spartan’s throwables can do.

My solution to this whole throwable issue would be to make everything an equippable option. If you want to throw your hatchet, make the Viking change to a different stance, where he can throw it like in MW, but is vulnerable during the ranged attack equip.

If you want to throw your hammer or shield, do the same. Press “5” or whatever your keybind is, change to a ranged throwing stance. You should deliberately make the trade, just like in MW, to make yourself vulnerable in order to use this offensive ranged capability.

It should be like this for any class. For example, the ninja should have to physically switch to the shuriken to toss it.

The quick throw, while parryable, is gimmicky as hell, and takes a lot of interesting modes of combat out of the equation because you constantly have to worry about being punished for them. The Spartan should obviously retain the ability to toss like a javelin thrower, but in my opinion making these other utilities equippable could serve to really enhance the combat experience. You could even make them more damaging in turn, for making the abilities have more readability.

I understand that this would be less intuitive, which may be why TB came up with the current functionality–but I think it would be very satisfying when implemented, and could be a great middle ground for those who completely hate it/those who enjoy it.

• @Martys:

So if this gets implemented, it is only a question of time before people start wanting the same for Spartans.

The only reason Viking weapons should not be hold-able is because you are supposed to parry them. You can’t parry Javs.

Weirdly enough the Pirate’s firepots are not hold-able.

• @WarCrab:

@Martys:

So if this gets implemented, it is only a question of time before people start wanting the same for Spartans.

The only reason Viking weapons should not be hold-able is because you are supposed to parry them. You can’t parry Javs.

Weirdly enough the Pirate’s firepots are not hold-able.

Yeah I’ve been thinking about it and that is it.

About firepots, they’re quickthrow and therefore they can’t be held.

• @CRUSHED:

amen! personally i would get rid of all ranged weapons , chivalry MW was a melee game before this toss a thon and it was better for it!

• @CRUSHED:

Throwables are necessary for enagements, mid-distance fights or a way to quickly fire back at Archer, Crossbowman or Pirates with guns.

But, I somewhat do agree that throwables are dumb, whne it comes to the duel mode. As my opinion is on duel mode in Medieval Warfare has a very big annoyance with that Archers also participate in the duels, its no fun for a guy seeking a fair hand-to-hand combat duel with another, having to run from one side of the map to the other one to catch up to the projectile weapon user, as for deadliest warrior, its even more annoying since pretty much every classes is a hybrid between both melee and ranged, in Medieval Warfare we only had Javelineers that was a deadly hybrid in both close and mid-distance.

Though, it should be available to do so, though there should also be a option for those who does not wish for ranged to be used in a duel mode to disable that.

As for another thing, being able to counter-attack from parrying a throwable is kinda a neat idea, though I never liked the fact HOW easy it is to parry a projectile. I think it should be way harder, otherwise this will pretty much take over the job shields are suppose to do all along, parry window for projectiles should be way shorter.

Hold throws are neccesary aswell, cause with that you could possibly feint a throw, or cancel it if you find yourself in a situation where you are being forced to be melee ready immideantly.