Scaling an entire level in UDK

• I’ve decided I want to reduce the size of my map to about 75%-50% of its current size. What’s the best way to go about this? I’ve tried selecting all and using the scale tool but all the static meshes seem to screw up.

• Sorry the best way to erase some part.
    Scale the entire level is not a good idea, you will lose all proportions.

Good luck

• @Goomba:

Sorry the best way to erase some part.
    Scale the entire level is not a good idea, you will lose all proportions.

Good luck

You haven’t seen his map. His map is fourcorners. It can be scaled down. At the moments its huge and everything looks to big anyway.

Proportions wouldn’t be an issue for his map.

• No i assume i have not, yet still i don’t think it is a good idea.

Did you make only brushes or did you convert it into static meshes ?

• @Goomba:

No i assume i have not, yet still i don’t think it is a good idea.

The basic shape of the map (like the walls and the floors and stuff) are just brushes, but most of the smaller details are static meshes.

• See here for screenshots: viewtopic.php?t=24331

Proportions shouldn’t be a huge issue, but I can see a few things like the stairs and doorways needing to be enlarged a bit, which shouldn’t be much of a problem.

• And that is your first lesson on building your level to the proper scale! Lesson learned!

• @the_jaz:

@Goomba:

No i assume i have not, yet still i don’t think it is a good idea.

The basic shape of the map (like the walls and the floors and stuff) are just brushes, but most of the smaller details are static meshes.

That’s how you do and it’s a good way but MG-Powers is right. Proportion is important and it is easy to be wrong, especially if it is your first map/level design.

I tell you that because i’m a graduate-internship level designer and i made the same mistake the first time i use udk during my level design course.

I honestly think you sould rebuilt it with the good proportion. TB has come out with scale unit. From memory 96 large for player and 128 height. This is a minimum.

Moreover UDK is not stable and very tricky, so is Chivalry sdk. Rescaling an entire level will have an unknow result. You could have hole in some your wall.

Trust me. Learn the lesson, rebuilt it with good proportion. You will get better, your map will be better and player will enjoy it more. Everybody wins.

Good luck.

• So it is possible to scale it though?

I think he should just do that and see how it goes. Its its fine its fine if it isn’t he can either try fixing it or do what you said.

• i think, it is technically possible in level manager selected all actor and then you can scale it (i have not done this before)

• While I think you can scale more than one actor at the same time, they maintain their old coordinates, so it’s effectively useless. That’s just in my limited experience.

• Well you could hide all meshes and other actors Manually scale the BSP to the size you want it. Then unhide the Meshes and Go around and scale mesh individually. Shouldn’t be too hard. The maps not that big really.

• @lemonater47:

You haven’t seen his map. His map is fourcorners. It can be scaled down.

@lemonater47:

So it is possible to scale it though?

I think he should just do that and see how it goes. Its its fine its fine if it isn’t he can either try fixing it or do what you said.

Good advice

• @lemonater47:

So it is possible to scale it though?

I’ll post a screenshot here tomorrow of what it looks like when you just select all and resize it. Everything gets completely screwed.

• Thanks for sharing.