DW High CPU Usage

• Ever since the official Release, Our DW servers when near full or full (max 32 and 36 for my servers) are using a full logical core.

It could just be me but it seems like DW is a cpu hog.

CPU using…

2 Intel E5506 running at 2.13 GHZ With 144 Gigs of Ram

• That’s because 2.13Ghz is -really- low and UDK is not multi threaded. So it only benefits from high core clock speed.

• @Raizio:

That’s because 2.13Ghz is -really- low and UDK is not multi threaded. So it only benefits from high core clock speed.

I understand that, But the MW servers which are also running do not have the same problem. Those servers do not hit 13% cpu and stay there when full. I believe that this is a problem as the pings are always high in-conjunction with the cpu usage.

Can anyone else post if they have this problem.?

• @Kahne:

@Raizio:

That’s because 2.13Ghz is -really- low and UDK is not multi threaded. So it only benefits from high core clock speed.

I understand that, But the MW servers which are also running do not have the same problem. Those servers do not hit 13% cpu and stay there when full. I believe that this is a problem as the pings are always high in-conjunction with the cpu usage.

Can anyone else post if they have this problem.?

Oh well in that case CDW does something weird, CDW is heavier on the RAM for me, but not really heavier on the CPU usage.

• Hm, what do you mean by high ping? I’ve been on plenty of 32 player DW servers that are between 50-150ms user ping.

CPU-wise, it is normal for DW servers to be moderately higher in CPU, but that shouldn’t cause problems because there is a thread separate from the game thread that does more work related to stats.

Couple things for you to try.

1. Make sure nothing else is using Internet bandwidth on the box. If your upstream bandwidth is maxed out, you can see elevated pings.
    2. Measure in-game CPU latency directly. This will tell you how many milliseconds CPU work is adding to your overall ping. Connect to your server with your client and bring up the console with ~. Then run “adminlogin <password>” and “showdebug” then keep an eye on “Server ms”. It should be <50ms.</password>