Why does Medieval Warfare run so bad for me?

• Good evening, I need some assistance and clarity to why this game just doesn’t run well for my computer, for starters let me say this computer was a gift. I am not the most tech advanced but at the same time Im not the most clueless. The problem is in game I get 20 fps with every video setting on LOW, which is horrendously unplayable.

I have an alienware aurora
    My monitor is a 26 inch dell st3210 @ 60 hertz
    Win7 Professional 64-bit OS
    Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20 GHz
    6 GB RAM

AMD radeon HD7970
    total graphics memory: 5883 MB
    dedicated video memory: 3072 MB
    System Video Memory: 0 MB
    Shared System Memory: 2811 MB

Any help is appreciated, money isn’t an issue if something needs upgrading

• Update graphics drivers? I had low fps and that fixed it.

• The very first thing you should try is to lower your “ragdoll length” setting to around 5-8. And also try blood decal while you’re at it (lowering the length, they’re both found in graphics/video options).

A lot of times ragdoll length being too high will accumulate a lot of dead bodies that all have some physics attached to them, which causes the game to slow for nearly everyone I’ve talked to. It’s good to have this setting low. Every FPS drop I’ve had in this game was related to that.

I tried looking up your specs online (I don’t know jack-shit about an alienware) and couldn’t find anything I know concretely how to compare to. How does your computer usually run games (Low, mid, max, high?).

There are also quite a few guys on here who have become really good at making their ini files make the game work well for them. It’d be nice of one of those guys would see this, I bet they could help.

• Normally any other game including DW runs perfectly fine on max settings, I’ll try to update my driver and turn down both blood and ragdoll, thanks hopefully it helps

• updated graphics driver turned off blood decal and ragdoll and still 30 frames. sad face

• Damn strange the game won’t work on that waste of money.

Its usually CPU related for people. As while your CPU is a bit old its still a good CPU.

I have an i5 3570k. 8GB of RAM, and an AMD 5670 and I run this game on higher settings at a higher FPS. Blood on full Ragdoll on 150. So its probably not a GPU problem.

Or just thinking it could actually just be using your integrated graphics on the CPU instead of your graphics card. That would explain everything.

• I know it’s a long shot, but those dirty great overpriced alienware machines often have a secondary gfx card (sometimes a low power one) - just wanted to check the game was set to use the primary card.

Aside from that I can only suggest posting in the tech support area with specifics and we can try and hash through the options

• I’m certain the problem is your CPU, Chivalry is a multilayer game so it’s going to be much more demanding of the CPU. Whereas single player games are more demanding on the GPU usually. That i5 650 you got is not up to par for playing Chivalry. Your 7970 graphics card is really good so it’s not that.
    Let’s get some performance statistics:
    in game pull up the command console (press the ~ key it’s below the escape key)
    and type in ‘stat unit’ without the quotes of course
    What are the numbers for Game and GPU? I know they fluctuate but what do they stick around at?

• @gref:

I’m certain the problem is your CPU, Chivalry is a multilayer game so it’s going to be much more demanding of the CPU. Whereas single player games are more demanding on the GPU usually. That i5 650 you got is not up to par for playing Chivalry. Your 7970 graphics card is really good so it’s not that.
    Let’s get some performance statistics:
    in game pull up the command console (press the ~ key it’s below the escape key)
    and type in ‘stat unit’ without the quotes of course
    What are the numbers for Game and GPU? I know they fluctuate but what do they stick around at?

Its a 3.2GHz duel core CPU. Chivalry isn’t multithreaded. He might even have the quad core version of it. Its alienware after all. Not that it would make much of a difference.

• @lemoneater47:

1. Its a 3.2GHz duel core CPU.
    2. Chivalry isn’t multithreaded.
    1. Cycle speed alone is not an accurate measurement of a CPUs performance, the best way to judge a CPUs speed is to look at synthetic or game benchmarks. And that i5 650 scores pretty low, he really should be running something like an i5 2500k or better for Chivalry to run well. Take notice that the i5 2500k clock speed is only 100mhz faster, but the CPU has DOUBLE the performance of the i5 650.
      I’ve tested Chivalrys performance on many systems and I can say without a doubt you need a CPU that scores at least 5000+ on Passmarks standard test for good performance.

2. LOL yeah all of UE3 is running on a single thread, and you claim to be studying software engineering? You’re a bad joke. Of course Chivalry is multi-threaded! not well though :( . Task manager shows about 100 new threads created when running chivalry, furthermore, chivalry uses up to 4 cores and no more. I have tested it extensively.

• Not sure about socket 1156, however if you want a nice upgrade for a good price I suggest a socket 775
    asus board with a Q9550 processor, those are very good at gaming with 12mb on board cache.
    I run chivalry on my rigs here all Quad 775 socket things nps at all with any game ever.
    plus the parts are nice and affordable on the bay a system builders paradise.