Hold the banner: picking up the banner should be keybound

• Hey guys,

I played a round of hold the banner in a low pop server. I think it was 4 on 4. I had a devious idea: when an enemy is charging you, drop the banner in front of him. He will pick the banner up accidentally and I destroy him with my weapon…and it worked, every time. The delay a player experiences after the banner pickup is enough time for a few free hits. I can’t imagine how infuriating it was for the other team.

This can easily be fixed by creating a keybind to pick up the banner.

• that’s somewhat the point, you should clear the area before going for the flag… common sense, if they lack it shame on them then.

• that’s somewhat the point, you should clear the area before going for the flag… common sense, if they lack it shame on them then. or you can have a teammate back you up while you grab it.

• @clayton-bigsby:

that’s somewhat the point, you should clear the area before going for the flag… common sense, if they lack it shame on them then. or you can have a teammate back you up while you grab it.

Well, that’s the thing. You can just throw the banner at them and they pick it up automatically. And you get some free hits.

• I’m not sure if you know what I mean. But maybe I don’t know what you mean

Let’s say the area is clear, it’s just me with the flag, and an enemy. The enemy naturally charges at me, as the objective of the match is to gain and hold the flag. I can run at him with the flag, drop it, and he will automatically pick it up. The delay of him getting the flag and me being able to attack is skewed, so I can attack him WHILE the pickup animation is going.

Reminds me of this:

• Not to mention that the flag is almost completely useless in combat, when it should at least be somewhat viable.

• Yeah this is the best thing about the Banner game modes.

• Doesn’t work very well in larger games. Especially when you are up against ninja.

• @magilla:

Not to mention that the flag is almost completely useless in combat, when it should at least be somewhat viable.

No this should never happen. The point is to leave you vulnerable. You are supposed to be protected by your teammates whilst you defend yourself as much as you can. It’s not actually useless. You can push people away with it at range.

Making it a viable weapon would end up making it harder to have an enjoyable back-and-forth game.

• @Sol:

@magilla:

Not to mention that the flag is almost completely useless in combat, when it should at least be somewhat viable.

No this should never happen. The point is to leave you vulnerable. You are supposed to be protected by your teammates whilst you defend yourself as much as you can. It’s not actually useless. You can push people away with it at range.

Making it a viable weapon would end up making it harder to have an enjoyable back-and-forth game.

because in a game full of killmongerers, with no voice chat, little pub communication, and zero competitive scene we should really base things around being protected by the team?

it’s absolutely pathetic as a weapon. you might as well be capable of killing with it. note i didn’t even say make it viable. i said SOMEWHAT viable.

otherwise, who cares? you might as well make it strong so you can have some fun when you pick it up. otherwise it makes no sense not to avoid it like the plague. you’re just gonna drop it if you have it anyways.

you actually have any personal investment in htb? lol.

• I miss the flag in CWM, go man at arms with a spear…

• @magilla:

@Sol:

@magilla guerrilla:

because in a game full of killmongerers, with no voice chat, little pub communication, and zero competitive scene we should really base things around being protected by the team?

it’s absolutely pathetic as a weapon. you might as well be capable of killing with it. note i didn’t even say make it viable. i said SOMEWHAT viable.

otherwise, who cares? you might as well make it strong so you can have some fun when you pick it up. otherwise it makes no sense not to avoid it like the plague. you’re just gonna drop it if you have it anyways.

you actually have any personal investment in htb? lol.

Unlike you I don’t think this is a sinking ship and we should just bail. Of course i have an investment in Htb. Htb is enjoyable when it’s done right, and having silly things like the flag being a “somewhat” viable weapon which would cause this game mode to be obsolete and discouraging.

As for the game having no communication - there is the chat. I personally lead by example. Comrades see a high-ranking player, clearly in the leed by quite a mile. I speak in teamchat and some listen. After they realise what I am saying is effective, the rest follow suit. Positive behaviour works wonders in this game. Being a silent, and calling your team a noob for not doing the objective is not constructive and contributes to the negativity. A game doesn’t have to have strict clan setting to be competitive. Pub games that span several rounds become a fun experience with the right attitude - and yes - I find the right attitude aplenty because people are not jerks when the atmosphere is fun.

• how is it silly to make the flag somewhat viable? you ever play oddball? it’s hard as fuck to hit but if you know what you’re doing you can beat the shit out of people with it. hell, in last chivalry the flag was a somewhat viable spear. if you don’t like the idea say so, but don’t shit your pants over it. it’s obv. not game breaking as the carrier has been viable in numerous games that are actually competitive.

the rest of your post is subjective. mostly here people just swarm you, tk slash you, tell you to fuck off. which is okay i guess since i don’t care enough to not to just throw the thing on the ground so i can actually play

• The flag is already somewhat viable as a crowd control mechanism. Aside from the usual strategy (which I also employ) of dropping the flag on enemies so you can kill them, the flag is also useful for it’s knock-back on a hit. It feels like it’s got at least a two-handed spear’s worth of momentum, and enemies I hit tend to fly back by a few feet.

Try using that. If your team isn’t entirely dumb, it gives you options. Of course, if your team -is- entirely dumb, you’re fucked and there’s no point whining about it. =p

• @Funkmaster:

The flag is already somewhat viable as a crowd control mechanism. Aside from the usual strategy (which I also employ) of dropping the flag on enemies so you can kill them, the flag is also useful for it’s knock-back on a hit. It feels like it’s got at least a two-handed spear’s worth of momentum, and enemies I hit tend to fly back by a few feet.

Try using that. If your team isn’t entirely dumb, it gives you options. Of course, if your team -is- entirely dumb, you’re fucked and there’s no point whining about it. =p

i’m not whining, i’m defending a point. knock back on a primary target is absolutely useless if another is flanking you on the side of a turtle-speed windup and thrust. in a pub-oriented game, you might as well make the thing viable is all that i’m saying. otherwise the carrier is just going to drop the shit and give it to the other team so that he can have fun, which is not proactive even for casual play.

that way, if you’re an exceptional player, at least you can still do well even if your team is completely dumb (85% of the time in any chivalry pub.)