How to host custom maps on a rented server.

• [Mod - new sticky: [url]http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/18763-How-to-Host-a-server-with-custom-content]

I have looked and read through the instructions on hosting custom maps on a server you are running but there is no instructions on how to set it up on a rented server. I have tried uploading the map files to the server and tried several different locations to put them as well as putting them into map rotation but nothing has helped. Please, someone who has done this on a rented server post up on what folder to place them in on the server and or any other info. The info on the Dev’s page is woefully incomplete. Thanks.

• I downloaded the maps to my client and then got the .cmwsdk files out of chivalrymedievalwarfare/UDKGame/CookedSDK/__CMWSDKFiles

Then manually put them onto the server also in UDKGame/CookedSDK/__CMWSDKFiles
    and finally put them into PCServer-UDKGame.ini

not sure if this is the way it’s meant to be done, could prove a pain when it comes to updating maps but i haven’t come to that yet

• There is not CookedSDK folder on the rented server. I have updated the server. I even created a cookedSDK folder and put the custom maps in it and it still didnt work.

• Some detailed (idiot proof) instructions would be great.

• It’d be nice to know how to do it. Though I’d want to know how to add it on a personal server…

• Ok i have successfully downloaded the files…

If your using the SteamCMD (dedicated install) You need to do the following things…

1. Get the WorkshopServertool.exe from a client install of Chivalry:MW
    2. Uploaded That WorkshopServertool.exe to the dedicated install in the following folder
    (Your INSTALL PATH)\Binaries\Win32
    3. Create the following folder in the UDKGame folder: CookedSDK
    C:\servers\chivalry2\UDKGame\CookedSDK
    4. Create the following Folder in the CookedSDK foler: __CMWSDKFiles/
    C:\servers\chivalry2\UDKGame\CookedSDK__CMWSDKFiles
    5. Create a Text document in the the CMWSDKFiles folder named: Serverdownloadlist.txt
    6. Pull the Steamcommunity line from the url.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=190055029

Presto……

• Simple to activate download guide

To pull custom content, use the URL of the Steam Community page and insert it in the Serverdownloadlist.txt located in C:\servers\chivalry2\UDKGame\CookedSDK__CMWSDKFiles

next open CMD:

change directory to

C:\servers\chivalry2\Binaries\Win32

insert the following line into the cmd

WorkshopServerTool.exe -downloadfiles ServerDownloadList.txt

it will pull the files for the url

additionally, if you need to force a redownload (update) change the line to reflect

WorkshopServerTool.exe -forcedownload ServerDownloadList.txt

• Rented servers probably have different directories depending on the company’s control panel.

Is it possible we can get examples based on which company is hosting?

I have questions about this regarding using NFO hosting.

• Developer

We need to clarify this. If you can modify the command line used to start the game, all you need do now is add

-sdkfileid=00000

To it. Replace 00000 with the item id (the numbers at the end of the Workshop URL). Then, add the maps (map names should be in the description for the item) to your maplist. Start the server, and it’ll automatically download and update the items specified.

You can add as many of those switches as you want.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

We need to clarify this. If you can modify the command line used to start the game, all you need do now is add

-sdkfileid=00000

To it. Replace 00000 with the item id (the numbers at the end of the Workshop URL). Then, add the maps (map names should be in the description for the item) to your maplist. Start the server, and it’ll automatically download and update the items specified.

I don’t feel like this has been clarified at all. Adding custom maps to a dedicated server is extremely confusing and there is no sticky in the Server Operator’s Hub, of all places, which specifically explains “HOW TO ADD CUSTOM MAPS TO YOUR SERVER”. Unless I am missing something. This should be very straightforward.

I previously added custom maps to my server by first downloading maps through Steamworks, which is an opaque method of downloading files that involves “subscribing” to the map, which may or may not download immediately, and then locating folders with random code (example folder name AOCSDKLevels_3A3D31E64E6C2EC839DA9ABE130B86A5) and copying those folders manually into my server directory (…chivalry_ded_server\UDKGame\CookedSDK).

That’s that only way I’ve been able to add custom maps to my server. Surely there is an easier way?

• Developer

• Are you unable to create and make use of separate .ini files with UDK? Map and ban lists would be nice.

• Developer

I don’t understand the question. Separate from what? What ‘UDK’?

• I mean, could you not split stuff into discrete files instead of having shit all in like 2 main config files.
    ie maplist.txt

I thought maybe UDK required all this crap to be in their appropriate stock ini files that all UDK games seem to have DONT LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT UDK STUFF

Can a mod do this? I haven’t hunted through the UDK scripting documentation. Perhaps file streaming is not supported.

• Developer

I was a bit confused about why you were referencing ‘UDK’. We had a full UE3 license more than a year before launch (I think? I joined the team 8 months before), UDK games don’t have source code access. Yes, we left the executable name as ‘UDK.exe’ and that’s created a lot of silly confusion; we were really busy on the game working up to release and it slipped past.

Splitting it up is possible. UE3 games usually don’t do that because that’s just “not how it’s done”. You’ll notice we have a few non-standard config files; we could set up more as we wish, but it’s frankly simpler just to leave the maplist where it is right now, and it’s following the example laid out in UE3. The maplist in code is part of the game type, so it goes in the config where everything else game type-related is (_Game.ini), which happens to be enormous.

Easier than doing a mod, you could set up a script (Bash? Python? Powershell?) to plop a maplist.txt into _Game.ini, then start the server. That’s… odd… but possible.

• Ah… I thought I’d understood you had a full license, but you know, UDK.exe and all that.

edited out: n/m, you could do what I was thinking with an ini file anyway

You shouldn’t be afraid to break convention. Those other UE3 games aren’t gonna come bully poor Chivalry ;)

• @CrustaceanSoup:

-sdkfileid=00000

Yeah this doesn’t work for deadliest warrior servers, at least not for my NFOservers. :(