Crashing, Long load times, Weird Server Join Issues

• So recently, after the recent patches, I have been experiencing multiple bugs.

I have only encountered these bugs in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, and have not tested it in the new expansion, Deadliest Warrior.

The first one I can describe is where when I join a server and it does the loading screen with the helpful hints on it, stays there for longer than usual, and then the main menu music comes back. The screen becomes stuck forever on the loading screen. Keep in mind that this loading screen has no cancel option and just continues to “load” with the wheel turning and turning. The main menu’s music comes back however, so it seems that it has returned to the main menu, but it fails to show that to me. I have to task manager it and end the process in order to quit the game.

The next bug that many people seem to encounter is just “UDK.exe has stopped working” whenever the map changes. This usually occurs after the bug above happens one time. So any time after the first bug happens, I crash more often(or so it seems like). This is gamebreaking.

The third bug happens whenever I download new steam workshop content upon joining a server and it automatically joins the server afterward. When I am finished installing the content, it lets me in the server, but for some reason my spectator cam is immobile and I cannot even leave the game. I tried using the console commands “disconnect” and “reconnect”, but to no avail. The loading time is also much much longer than usual. This happens quite frequently but I haven’t joined any custom map servers for about a week. The following message also appears in the console: “NoConnection Set from DS_Inactive”.

So far, the best I could do to troubleshoot was to verify the integrity of my files, which provided a temporary solution. It said I had 8 files missing, which I received now. Later on however, the bugs came back and I am going to try verifying it again… but I am hoping for something more reliable. Note: this is NOT an edit, these bugs happened before AND after a file verification.

Thanks so much for reading, I really hope someone can help me. I’d really like a real response, not some vague “we will look into it”.

• ahh the old kernelbase issues. Firstly I’d try renaming your config folder in the my documents/my games area and then reverifying in case something dodgy has crept into your configs.

Next up with kernelbase issues, I’d try logging in as a different windows user (you may have to create new windows profile if you don’t have another account). Then try running steam/MW from the new user profile. If the user profile is corrupted, its generally best to rename your original profile, create a new one (back with the original name) then copy across any files from the original profile and delete it.

• @MonkeyFiend:

ahh the old kernelbase issues. Firstly I’d try renaming your config folder in the my documents/my games area and then reverifying in case something dodgy has crept into your configs.

Next up with kernelbase issues, I’d try logging in as a different windows user (you may have to create new windows profile if you don’t have another account). Then try running steam/MW from the new user profile. If the user profile is corrupted, its generally best to rename your original profile, create a new one (back with the original name) then copy across any files from the original profile and delete it.

Thanks Monkey, I will try these when I run into problems.

I have verified my files for a second time, and so far so good, but if I do continue to have issues, I will try those solutions. I will post an update if I run into any more problems.

Thanks for the help!

• welcome to the party (of crashes)!

JimmyT, u’ll soon discover that the varification will fail after 1/2 and hour of playing, and the playing time will get less and less until the game stop loading all together.

• @kastor:

welcome to the party (of crashes)!

JimmyT, u’ll soon discover that the varification will fail after 1/2 and hour of playing, and the playing time will get less and less until the game stop loading all together.

Actually, last night I played a good marathon session without issues so far. Maybe my problem is already resolved? I may be speaking too soon however. Thanks for the input.

• @JimmyTryhard:

The third bug happens whenever I download new steam workshop content upon joining a server and it automatically joins the server afterward. When I am finished installing the content, it lets me in the server, but for some reason my spectator cam is immobile and I cannot even leave the game. I tried using the console commands “disconnect” and “reconnect”, but to no avail. The loading time is also much much longer than usual. This happens quite frequently but I haven’t joined any custom map servers for about a week. The following message also appears in the console: “NoConnection Set from DS_Inactive”.

It also happens on normal maps, you can only see a chunk of map and enable console (But you can’t do anything in it). It only happens on my weaker PC…

• UPDATE!!

The bugs have returned!!! NOOOO! I just renamed my config, gonna verify and post an update afterward.

PLEASE, fix it soon! I shouldn’t have to deal with this… this is my favorite game. 950 hours going strong… for now.

• This error does not happen if i use the 32-bit version of UDK.exe (tested 3 times)

Try launching UDK.exe in *Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32* it helped me somehow! (no more endless loading or map freezes).

• Can we please just get a confirmation that the dev’s r working on a solution? seems there’s a bunch of proposed methods that either isn’t working with some people or isn’t working at all.

Games have bugs, we can accept that and will show our support as a community, but just let us know that this issue is being looked at so at least we can wait without the frustration and have hope for this issue to resolve :stab:

• UPDATE

After renaming my Config, I received a new config as expected and everything ran smoothly… for a little while. TODAY the endless loading screen happened again. No map crashes yet, but I am expecting them.

Also, the forums look really nice now! I wonder if they will make the game smoother and nicer too… XD

• Getting similar problems. Game takes ridiculously long to load past the splash screen and occasionally when i join a server, it just loads an incomplete version of the map and stays there. I can’t even exit or disconnect from the console. I’ve managed to connect to a few duel servers but no such luck with TO servers (only 1). I’d verified my cache, reinstalled my game and deleted my config: didn’t help. And yes when i pop open the console i get the same “no connection from ds…” message. It’s really annoying but would be somewhat bearable if the game didn’t take SO DAMN LONG to load. It’s been a while since i played and i NEVER had these problems before. Anybody have a clue what’s going on?

edit:

when i load the game steam pops up and mentions something about downloading a redist but it seems to skip the step and go straight to the game. Is this the problem? What redist is it talking about?

edit 2:

i also get the occasional client integrity error message - it’s rare but it happens. Don’t get any errors from verifying cache though.

• The game can sometimes get stuck on loading screens of a server has one slot and you start a connection, but someone else manages to beat you to the last slot. You often get stuck on loading then after a long time a connection to the host has been lost type message.

Hamster, did you try the renaming the configs thing from earlier int his thread?

Haven’t had confirmation whether this solved the original issue of crashes (even if the long loading thing did rear it heads again)

• @MonkeyFiend:

The game can sometimes get stuck on loading screens of a server has one slot and you start a connection, but someone else manages to beat you to the last slot. You often get stuck on loading then after a long time a connection to the host has been lost type message.

Hamster, did you try the renaming the configs thing from earlier int his thread?

Haven’t had confirmation whether this solved the original issue of crashes (even if the long loading thing did rear it heads again)

I did but it didn’t help.

Is there any way i can get the game to just disconnect from the server when that happens? Loading the game again just takes far too long. The console commands “disconnect” and “exit” don’t even work when i’m stuck in limbo joining a server.

And i don’t think the problem is with the server being filled up either. The ones i’ve tried joining had more than enough capacity. I know because occasionally i join the same server that i froze on and it works with the same population/capacity as indicated.

• someone send him your log files(i’m having the same problems). I really want to play, but the crashes are getting out of hand. i’m rooting for you TBS

• @int.r:

someone send him your log files(i’m having the same problems). I really want to play, but the crashes are getting out of hand. i’m rooting for you TBS

many on different posts have sent the log files and they saw them…then they will disappear and not reply for any further “support”. As demonstrated above, they just disappear.