Kicking/Voting system tweaks

• A story to begin with. More and more often I come across these “trolls” that tend to join server, start attacking teammates and then they throw a kick vote against a random player. That random player of course didn’t do anything wrong and is not kicked, but our “troll” cannot be kicked for the duration of the vote and is happily attacking teammates over and over. Now another player comes in play… immediately after the vote ends he attempts to throw a vote against our “troll”, but as the voting system goes, he done it too early and the vote does not show on screen. So back to “troll” that was not kicked because not enough people voted and that throws another vote against another random guy. And this goes on and on until map change at which point I, the hero, come to play and throw a vote against our “troll” earlier before anyone else, but late enough for the “troll” to foolishly attack his teammates again. And so the vote shows “100% team damage” and the “troll” is finally kicked. And everyone celebrates my heroic act… well not really, no-one appreciates it and the earth continues rotating until the Troll rejoins later, I believe in an hour or so?

End of story.
    Now to the point:
    I am quite suprised such mechanic is still not in-game. A simple prevention from casting a vote for two minutes after the person has thrown a vote would solve this problem quite easily and effectively.

Another example that anyone who’s been on a pub server at least once should know. A guy TKs another, he goes mad attacks the first at spawn. That one is all mad and stuff and throw a vote against the other, it fails, the other throws a vote against the first one, it fails, and this goes on and on until the server gets sick enough of these votes and kicks both of them.

Again, wouldn’t it make sense that after you tried to kick someone and failed, you’d have to wait two minutes or even longer before you can try again? If the guy was not kicked but actually deserves it, someone else will eventually try to kick him, no?

Wanted to talk about availability of map change votes but this thread is already getting a bit long so this is all.

tl;dr Two minute or longer prevention after kick attempt.

• This is in the game and by default its 1 minute. I think the default is one minute anyway by default its very short.

And on most servers the troll has the ability to rejoin in 5 minutes. Now 5 minutes is fine in most situations except for this kind of relentless trolling.

But hey torn banners report system is better. Sort of. Get a screen recorder catch the bugger In the act and in that same video either shift tab click on view players and find he fools steam Id make sure you record yourself doing that for evidence. Upload it to a file sharing site (faster uploading times than YouTube) then email kimiko with an explanation the link to his steam account and the link to the video download. And boom he banned.

Well should be. They are awfully soft.

I mean they have more moderators now even an oceanic one. I was playing DW when someone steam messages me about 4 dudes votekicking people off an official LTS. Told him i wasn’t admin on official servers but went to check enough and sure enough I was kicked. Took a screenshot of the votekick went to the console typed in getplayerinfo into the console and it didn’t work as it was disabled. I was goann aoe a screenshot of all their IDs and I would of seen all their names and remembered them. But no I was kicked before I could take a look at the scoreboard instead. So I notified an official mod he was busy so he got another moderator to come along. Since getplayerinfo was disabled I didn’t have any of their names. I rejoined the server and one Of the players was just called ADMIN as I had said I was to a get an admin (stupid thing to say btw). I used shift tab to see who was online and yes one of the proper admins were in spec. The reason why I didn’t do that before is that I’m a GON admin and we don’t use that method. I did have that votekick screenshot and in the chatbox it tells you who did it. Problem was the name of who did it in the chatbox didn’t match any of the names currently. I had a bit of discussion with the real admin. All the whole this fake admin was impersonating admin the whole time that should be an instant ban. I went to the ram admins steam profile and had a suspicion and clicked who aliases. Bingo that was the guy who kicked me and what’s more the 3 other on the server were all on his friends list. I was gonna make a report problem was he changes his name often and sometimes his name he used to kick me doesn’t show up. But I saw another name there. He was a regular on the 27 GON servers. The real moderator had left the server by then telling me to report him (really soft admins). But instead I explained I knew who he was that he was the guy who kicked me and that he was this regular. I have the power of shift tab and his steam ID. I threatened him with all kinds if things. Getting him banned off all GON, official and some clan servers who didn’t like him if he made a step wrong. And that worked. Sometimes you just get abused as they think you won’t do it.

Anyway you can report people and the steam group works sort of.

Though why is by default now the getplayerinfo command disabled? This is stupid. There is no reason to do that. Its the most reliable way to get someone’s ID TO MAKE SURE the person reporting it isn’t faking. And it contains the bloody chatlog if someone takes a screenshot.and that is more evidence in itself and tied them to the crime.

Enable the getplayerinfo command on the bloody official servers. Or I think it would be easier just to patch the game to enable it by default again instead of making poor kimiko enable it individually on over 100 servers.

• It’s all nice that you give me all these instructions how to ban people but that ain’t my problem.

The problem is that one minute is by far too low as people that try to votekick the “troll” for some reason have their kick vote promotion hidden immediately after it starts, so another 30 seconds pass and bang, the “troll” can vote again.

My aim is to make the immediate action easier, faster and more reliable. I don’t really feel like finding a proper recording program, having to activate it and go through all the problems it brings and then having to collect all this evidence, write letters, bother other people. Nah, just nice, quick and easy solution.

• Someone has probably suggested this before; so apologises for the lack of a comprehensive search but wouldn’t it be a good idea for TKs to effect rankings? Perhaps every TK could lose the offender double or treble the number of experience points (I think that’s what they are called) that you get for a normal kill?

Hang on; maybe trolls don’t care about their ranks??? and I almost forgot ranking isn’t working too well atm, or is it?

• The vote system has many ways it could be improved:

a working implementation of limiting the amount of times someone can start a vote
    a cooldown period after an unsuccessful vote
    a quota of votes per map
    a reduction in the default percentage to be kicked based on high team damage (e.g. it would take a higher percentage to kick a player with 0% team damage than to kick someone with 50% team damage),
    increasing the rejoin server length depending on number of kicks (e.g. a player who gets kicked once from a server rejoins within a couple of minutes, if it’s their 10th offence, maybe don’t let them rejoin for say 20-30 minutes)
    limiting a player from initiating kick votes if they surpass a certain level of team damage etc,

All of the above have been suggested and have their pros/cons

Atm though with the current implementation, the best option we have is to join servers with good admin presence.

• @MonkeyFiend:

The vote system has many ways it could be improved:

a working implementation of limiting the amount of times someone can start a vote
    a cooldown period after an unsuccessful vote
    a quota of votes per map
    a reduction in the default percentage to be kicked based on high team damage (e.g. it would take a higher percentage to kick a player with 0% team damage than to kick someone with 50% team damage),
    increasing the rejoin server length depending on number of kicks (e.g. a player who gets kicked once from a server rejoins within a couple of minutes, if it’s their 10th offence, maybe don’t let them rejoin for say 20-30 minutes)
    limiting a player from initiating kick votes if they surpass a certain level of team damage etc,

All of the above have been suggested and have their pros/cons

Atm though with the current implementation, the best option we have is to join servers with good admin presence.

Aye sir. I had some of these in mind even before but your list is more than I could ever wish for. A voting system is indeed mandatory for a multiplayer game but so are limitations for its use. Once again I find myself saying the phrase “I am suprised this is not yet in the game” but now I realise how many things in this game are just placeholders or just makeshift solutions that might have been intended to be finished eventually but forgotten in the end.

• @lemonater47:

But hey torn banners report system is better. Sort of. Get a screen recorder catch the bugger In the act and in that same video either shift tab click on view players and find he fools steam Id make sure you record yourself doing that for evidence. Upload it to a file sharing site (faster uploading times than YouTube) then email kimiko with an explanation the link to his steam account and the link to the video download. And boom he banned.

I did this once. About 2 weeks ago, still no response. As I recall Kimiko once stated she had about 200 e-mails to sort through and difficult as it may be to keep up, I find it a bit unprofessional to ask people for reporting hackers by e-mail while you already have a lot to sort through.
    (Nothing personal, we all know how annoying these moments are like when you return from a no-internet 2-week holiday)

As I recall the speedhacker was online again yesterday(he has a private profile so I can’t tell for sure, I thought I saw him in-game) and was still speedhacking away. On an official LTS server.

Funny how I read countless times on the Steam Community forums that there are hardly any hackers in this game while I’ve encountered around 5 very, VERY obvious ones in the last week. Reporting isn’t exactly an option as I’m not even sure my sent e-mails are received after all the time I spent uploading proof. I’d gladly list names of those dirty hackers if it weren’t for the forum rules…

Can I however link you to a private YouTube video? You tell me whether or not it’s an obvious speedhack. Try votekicking one when 80% of the people in the server are too blind to see it. :(

• I like to hunt the TKer and prevent him from getting out of spawn alive until he gets votekicked properly.

• Yeah its not the greatest idea making the community manager have to deal with the reports as well as everything else a community manager does.

They should have a senior admin to handle reports. Or multiple senior admins.

Even get a proper request tracker system going maybe.

You could probably PM a few competitive players with the link to that video. Make it unlisted not private though. So its easier. Get a bunch of good players to say whether its a speedhack or not.

Most of them have probably been kicked becuase someone thinks their hacking when they aren’t. So they would know what hacking is.

Though according to torn banners rules you are allowed to kick people just becuase you “think” someone is hacking. So all those players who don’t hack and get kicked anyway can’t make a complaint as the person who launched the votekick was allowed to kick him just becuase he “thought” he was hacking. Now I thought that was a stupid rule and its abusing votekick and I made a point of that.

I got the following reply

Forgot to lock this thread.

Also Lemonater I think you should read the full post before replying.
    Its abusing votekick once its not that one first vote. As this entire post suggests, you need to practice common sense, maturity and reason.

Yep so I read it again and on official servers you are actually allowed to kick anyone you feel like for no god damn reason. Only if it is one kick. Someone could be better than you and you can kick him and its completely fine according to their rules on official servers. Its immature and unreasonable not to kick him for no reason apparently. Common sense to just kick people if you haven’t launched a vote before.

So all you people who got kicked for no reason or because someone thought you were hacking and complained about are immature and unreasonable according to torn banner.

Anyone else disagree with torn banner’s common sense, maturity and reason?

• this is totally up to the server admin

you can:

limit how often someone can vote

only allow teammates to vote

limit the number of times you can vote for the same person

change percentage required to kick someone

change the time limit to vote so that it’s not on your screen for 20-30 seconds each vote.

only admins can kick ( Idon’t recommend this one)

things like that, so ultimately this is up to the server admin and these options are available.
    Problem is, they need to be implemented at least somewhat on official servers, and then more server operators need to be aware and actually go through their settings. I would also suggest that after you cast your vote, THE FRICKING LITTLE BOX GOES AWAY! Yet that little bastard persists until EVERYONE is done voting or the time runs out…

• The box doesn’t need to be that big in the first place.

The box being there is useful for server admins in a way. But only as a matter of convenience when cancelling votekicks. If you see that’s its gonna fail you don’t need to do the command to cancel.

• they could easily leave it up for admins if they’re logged in, they can also check console… everyone else it goes away when you vote, or give a 3rd option to just close the thing without voting at all.

1- vote yes
    2- vote no
    3 - gtfo my face!

• Yeah that’s nice that the option to change these things is in game but how many servers do it, and how many of them are alive at reasonable times? Most serves are these days empty, the only servers that suit my requirements and still have enough players for it to make any sense are multiplay officials. So if a change was done to the default system, so servers that don’t bother with changing it would also benefit, would be most welcomed.