Need more custom server

• i made 3 custom maps . i want to play it on any server but i haven’t played my maps with players
    because there are only 1~3 servers with custom contents are working.
    even though i make custom map, there aren’t any server. it’s really frustrating :c

why server admin dont host any server with custom contents???

• Probably not much help for you personally because our servers are based in NL but we are more than happy to be hosting custom maps. If someone could let me know which maps work we will do it. At the moment; I’m under the impression that they don’t work, it would be great if someone could give me a clear steer on this.

• We’ve run some custom servers to test, but they didn’t really take off from player numbers being able to connect (lot of issues with downloading from workshop etc.,). So as a clan we’re still looking to inlcude custom maps (possibly a custom maps server instead of including them in rotation) but at the moment just holding off until things are a bit more integrated

• I have a custom map server that has been pretty successful. It’s called Kimiko’s Custom Map Rotation #1. It’s based in Chicago. The maps I currently have in rotation are:

AOCTO-HelmDeep
    AOCTD-CaveHideout2_p
    AOCKOTH-NomadKing2
    AOCFFA-HolyPlace_p
    AOCTO-Bailey_p
    AOCCTF-CastleVsCastle_p
    AOCLTS-MalricManor
    AOCTD-CityWalls_P
    aocTO-siege7-1
    AOCFFA-Chamber_p
    AOCTO-DeathValley_p
    AOCTD-WinterIsComing
    AOCLTS-Savetheship4
    AOCTO-bluehour_p
    AOCKOTH-Bridge10
    AOCTD-Chabolas-v1

So far these seem to be the ones I know work. I was out of town for the last week, so I just updated it with a couple new maps. If yours isn’t on there, I’d be happy to test them out, just let me know. I like to vary the maps right now to get a good variety.

• Thanks Kimiko; if you don’t mind, we will just copy your inclusions into our “Custom Maps Bonanza” server (based in the Netherlands).

• We don’t need more we just need people to bloody play on the ones we got.

• @lemonater47:

We don’t need more we just need people to bloody play on the ones we got.

Bit tricky if they are in different regions.

• @Reginhard:

@lemonater47:

We don’t need more we just need people to bloody play on the ones we got.

Bit tricky if they are in different regions.

There’s one Australian custom map server and no one is ever on it. I look for other link servers and no one is usually on those either.

Everyone knows about the server everyone can see the server because its pink. People just can’t be bothered to join it. The autodownload works too. Better to get the maps off the steamworkshop though. Even if you don’t get all of them its less you have to download and a lower speed trying to join the server. Not that the autodownload is any slower it just fluctuates a lot and drops off completely sometimes for a second.

Way faster than the RO2 map downloads. Similar sized maps. But it takes ages just to get one. It takes less time to download the 350MB worth of maps (16 of them) using the chiv auto downloaded.

Downloading those maps could be your break from the computer. Have a drink, go outside, grab a sandwich and its done downloading and what’s more its good for you having a break from playing.

But please people play on the custom maps server. Most people I’ve ever seen on at one time was 7 people. And that was like 2pm. I sit around at peak time for ages by myself and no one comes.

But no they play on the other servers and complain about the same old boring maps.

• yes we do need more custom servers,
    but like most of the stuff “custom” in this game there is no proper documentation on how to do it or how to get a custom map on your server, and even if you did manage to do that, there isnt a working redirect yet so technically any one joining would just lag out the server while they downloaded it anyway which kinda defeats the purpose of having it.

maybe now that dw has been pushed out, we can get to the more important stuff like fixing the base game and getting some good tutorials or documentation on how to do some of this “custom” stuff thats gonna keep the game alive.

• A filter to find the custom servers would be nice, its a pain list every single server and scrolling down looking for something pink.

• I added 3 more maps to the rotation to test them out since they are new/updated. Waiting for actual map names of some others before adding them.:

AOCFFA-HolyPlace_p
    AOCTD-WinterIsComing
    AOCLTS-Savetheship4

• It would be cool to get like few “Official custom map servers”.

• @Vesanus:

It would be cool to get like few “Official custom map servers”.

Yes it would, but we can’t at this time unfortunately. So this is just a private server of mine for now.

• I’ve seen the Australian server close to full once or twice, and Kimiko’s is usually populated.

Part of the problem is that when you go to join, you have to autodownload all maps on the server which can take a long time. If I had a few servers I could at least make some with only a few maps on each so that players didn’t have such a big download when they wanted to play. For example a custom TO server with BlueHour, Siege7, Motte and Bailey and Helm’s Deep. The another custom server for smaller maps etc.

Also most maps are in beta and/or still WIP, partly because they need to be tested on servers. This can make players that bother to join and download the custom maps frustrated.

From my perspective as a map maker, it does make me wonder if by the time I’ve completely finished my TO map anyone will actually play it.

• I’ve downloaded all the maps and even when they are updated I always get some stupid fucking prompt to download these other files which seem to be completely irrelevant and overly large. And when I cancel the download, it still connects me to the server anyway. What’s the deal with this, I’d rather not have to sit through the thing downloading whatever it wants to (400mb at some super slow download rate because fuck Australia net) and it always takes some time to process the download starting and being cancelled.

Even more reason to hold a map competition and get some maps made official where everyone will be forced to download them and they can play these great new maps along with all of us.

• @DokB:

I’ve downloaded all the maps and even when they are updated I always get some stupid fucking prompt to download these other files which seem to be completely irrelevant and overly large. And when I cancel the download, it still connects me to the server anyway. What’s the deal with this, I’d rather not have to sit through the thing downloading whatever it wants to (400mb at some super slow download rate because fuck Australia net) and it always takes some time to process the download starting and being cancelled.

Not sure, it could be because I have to update the custom server maps manually so if you get an update from the workshop but the server hasn’t it causes an error.

@DokB:

Even more reason to hold a map competition and get some maps made official where everyone will be forced to download them and they can play these great new maps along with all of us.

^^^^
    This is exactly what I think. Choose the best maps which are stable and finished and make them semi-official. Then we could add some to normal server rotations. I have tried to get people on the normal TO servers to come and check out the new maps and they either just ignore me or say “No” outright. No reasons are given but I assume it’s the hassle of autdownloading plus the fact taht many maps are still glitchy.