How do you feel about CTF?

• I just wanted to ask how do people feel about CTF, as it would occur to me that not many people like it. Multiplay CTF only is always empty and many servers don’t even feature them in rotation.

So if your stance is negative, then why? What is the problem about CTF that bothers you? I play tf2 quite a bit and CTF is my most favourite mode, and apparently quite a large part of the community would agree with me. Is it that, that it’s so hard to catch the flag carrier? Having to watch him run away but only being able to chase, trying to activate the chase boost but failing because of the jukes, wanting to have some gun to shoot him instead? Or is it that, that you have to split, someone defending, someone attacking?
    Please, share.

• I like CTF in general. I fondly remember facing worlds in UT 2000 for example. However I think perhaps the mechanics of chivalry or perhaps the map layout don’t lend themselves to chivalry so well.

Chase boost is probably the main issue since the game is mostly melee (except for that pesky archer class) compared to most FPS type games where someone can drop the flag from distance (also allowing both sides to try and retrive) whereas in chivalry the person that kills you will also return the flag 99% of the time

• CTF and LTS are the two greatest teamwork-oriented game modes in this game IMO. I don’t like it because it requires too much coordination. It’s not very fun when solo pubbing, because whoever has the better random team wins in most cases. Doesn’t feel like there’s too much you can do by your self that often that contributes to the game’s outcome in a significant way.

• I have not tried it yet :| , if you read back through my posts I made a lengthy post about CTF and what it needs , as an old CTF clan leader of Q3 back in the day of barrysworld.
    If the servers are empty I might go check it out and see how chivalry ctf is done.

• If just Moor was added into the rotation of the TO games I think it would be a nice break.

The ruins CTF is a bit of a turn off.

• @gregcau:

If just Moor was added into the rotation of the TO games I think it would be a nice break.

The ruins CTF is a bit of a turn off.

We’ve tried adding moor into the middle of our TO rotation, not just as a break but also to shuffle the teams a bit. It proved less popular than even citadel, so we got rid of it :P

• I enjoy it. It’s a nice intermediate between the heavily objective-oriented gameplay of TO, which can get to be frustrating when your team isn’t very focused, and the mostly mindless TDM, which can be an enjoyable diversion but quickly becomes repetitive.

• People only play CTF on the full rotation servers really.

Our full rotations servers go.
    2 TO maps.
    2 other game modes.
    2 TO maps.
    2 other game modes.

And the other game modes are all but duel. So people get their share of TO then get some Other game modes. As we also try and not put the same two maps next to each other. So there’s no arena FFA then arena LTS straight after or anything.

And CTF ruins was removed from a couple of servers. Not many people like that one its sort of a stalemate. Frigid is the best for it. Moor its easier for the agathians. The masons actually have to think and use tactics to win but in the pub game there’s very little of that.

• I myself enjoy ctf a lot one of my favorite modes

• @SOC:

whoever has the better random team wins

When is that ever not the case in pubs?

• @Ready:

@SOC:

Fixed that for you. I mean come on, it’s team vs team. Better team wins. Should be pretty obvious.

• @Kreittis:

@Ready:

@SOC:

Fixed that for you. I mean come on, it’s team vs team. Better team wins. Should be pretty obvious.

Yeh, but he said random, the random part only really applies to pubs

• How do I feel about CTF? I love CTF… in games like Quake, Jedi Knight or Tribes. But in Chivalry it feels quite boring. Maybe it’s the lack of speed but I think the lack of points is also a reason. In clanwars I obviously don’t care about my personal points on the scoreboard but on public you need a reason for the pubs to do the actual objective (capturing the flag). 95% of the time on public CTF I’m the only one who actually tries to score (and maybe one other guy on the enemy team), it’s far worse than on TO. In Quake you get points for assists, capturing, killing the flag-carrier etc. Also the hud in CTF is really, really ugly and the scoreboard doesn’t even display the captures (not to mention anything else that would be relevant in CTF).

• I love a good game of CTF. Especially Moor_CTF. Even though it’s heavily in favour of Agatha, I still love playing those close games and nothing beats the feeling of sprinting away as Mason MaA with the flag and spamming “HELP! HE-HELP MEEEE! I NEED HEEEEELP!”; all while a legion of frothing angry Knights chase after you and you can hear the thousands of projectiles from archers hitting the shield on your back.

Wish you could dodge with the flag though. :cry:

• @lemonater47:

And CTF ruins was removed from a couple of servers. Not many people like that one its sort of a stalemate. Frigid is the best for it. Moor its easier for the agathians. The masons actually have to think and use tactics to win but in the pub game there’s very little of that.

Yeah I agree, Ruins is too long and Moor is too heavily balanced towards Agatha. Frigid is the best although is slightly easier for Mason based on the map layout but doesn’t seem to matter much on pubs.

Most of the time the game goes like this: one team get’s the flag early because someone who knew the map was smart enough to run straight for flag but go around the sides to avoid being spotted. Then that team goes super defensive and waits out the end of the game.

• Ah, but…

You can use the flag.
    You. Can. Use. It. As. A. Weapon.

That’s gotta be atleast worth some points in originality because it truly suits the game.

• CTF is fun once in a while, for a change of pace. Ruins is frustrating. Moor can be pretty lopsided. Frigid is probably the least annoying.

Never been a huge fan of CTF, although it was good fun in Tribes 2 for a while.

• Ctf is fun on certain maps, it is absolutely 0 fun on ruins large, although ruins is ALRIGHT. I would only really like playing on moor for the most part, frigid isn’t bad either. Moor is pretty open but still has nice avenues for attack, and it allows for a LOT of good tug of war type combat and a decent bit of strategy is involved. We had a bunch of pretty good players on balanced teams going at it on CTF and it was a ton of fun. If it’s just a steamroll like most of the team games are now due to stacking… it’s not very fun for ANY game mode. but even balanced teams are pretty darn fun and challenging.

I still wish for a lot of the game modes that you could change the time limits and actually have them work. Free for all especially for classic duels but yeah… for ctf i would like to make the time limit not really end to have it so that one of the teams must complete whatever number of captures is set (typically 3)

• So if I get it right, it’s the maps that bother people. Doing some improvements to the maps would indeed be welcomed for any game mode but for CTF it seems like the most needed. I would maybe also say that CTF could use some HUD improvements. A solid counter on-screen with score and flag condition would help a lot too. Coupled with some sound clues like in Quake or old UT this would be perfect.

• MoorCTF needs some rebalancing but besides that I love CTF :D I wish more people played it and gave it a chance! I also wish that we had a reverse CTF mode so you had to take the flag from your spawn to the enemy’s.