Chivalry causes steam to crash

• For a month or so now Chivalry has been causing Steam to crash while in game. Upon first glance, it just looks like Chivalry has crashed as the immediate symptom is that your game freezes. Now if you minimize from this freeze, you will see that Steam is no longer open. Without Steam open, Steam games will not run. I have had multiple friends experience the same thing.

It only seems to happen playing Chivalry so I am going to assume it is the culprit over Steam (none of my other 300+ games on Steam have had this happen.)

So if your game ever freezes, before you just close Chivalry and leave your computer out of frustration, check to see if steam has also closed. It happens at least once a gaming session to me.

• Heard a few mentions of this lately, but nothing concrete so far. It’d be useful if we could get some steam logs if steam itself is crashing.

When the game freezes, I assume the steam process is no longer running? What happens if you reopen it, does the game remain frozen?

Is there anything in the event logs when steam crashes?

• Process is no longer running and no error message. I’ll try to get a full report next time it happens. Any idea where in the steam folders I should go to get helpful logs for this particular situation?

• Didn’t happen to me (yet) but to some other people I’ve played with

• Same problem, i just restart the computer and it stops happening for the rest of the session, but none of my other games crash, let alone make steam crash with them, even thouh most of them are more taxing on the hardware.

• Same problem as well. If you open your task manager you can see that there is a steam error report popup that is active along with steam.exe and UDK.exe which won’t be responding. There isn’t however a steam error report pop up because steam itself crashes.

In game you get a sudden stuttering then suddenly game freezers. Doesn’t happen with any other game I’ve played, but it is good to hear that this isn’t a problem on my end but more so it being Chivalry.

• I’m not completely sure if I’m experiencing the same thing, but as of late, when the game freezes and I open Task Manager to kill the unresponsive program, my account automatically reconnects to Steam.

• Yeah I’ve randomly had this, often at the most frustrating times in a match.

Sometimes the Steam Client Bootstrapper crashes and sometimes it’s UDK but I’m not srue if it’s chivalry causing steam to crash or steam causing Chivlary to crash (I’m inclined to think the former rather than the later). Sometimes one of the processes is still open and I can’t restart Chivalry until the process(es) are stopped.

• @DokB:

Same problem as well. If you open your task manager you can see that there is a steam error report popup that is active along with steam.exe and UDK.exe which won’t be responding. There isn’t however a steam error report pop up because steam itself crashes.

In game you get a sudden stuttering then suddenly game freezers. Doesn’t happen with any other game I’ve played, but it is good to hear that this isn’t a problem on my end but more so it being Chivalry.

THIS
    Happens to me nearly every time I play, usually when I am doing really well.

I don’t know which Steam files to send but if I look in Program Files (x86)\Steam\dumps\ I have files named:
    assert_gameoverlayui.exe(datetime).dmp
    assert_steam.exe(datetime).dmp
    crash_steamservice.exe(datetime).dmp

I can PM the files to a developer, just tell me which you want.

I have 200 games and programs through Steam. Chivalry is the only program that this happens to.
    0.00001% chance this is a “Steam issue”.

Honestly, it makes me kind of scared to play the game.

• i have this problems too since the last update with sdk
    Game crash over and over all 20 minutes or less
    Sometimes steam crash too, sometimes not

When my game crash with or not with steam too, it starts with some bug with sounds ig (weapons impact) and crash 1-2 min later

• I just have both the BETA CMW and CDW dont even load and there is no button for the SDK so I am totally screwed.

• Please take this bug seriously, I can’t even play either of the games I paid for right now.

Okay, after downloading a new browser the forum is working again. Apparently there are some issues with Firefox right now.

I sent an email to the report a player email address describing this when I found the forums weren’t working either ( kimiko@tornbanner.com ) and that email has a couple of the log files from some of these crashes.

I deleted/reinstalled using Steam, and that seemed to fix the game for one round.
    Sometimes it’ll work for a few moments after getting into a server before the game crashes.

I alt-tabbed out with Task Manager open and noticed that the Steam-bootstrapper-jargon-filled-program-name-that-I-didn’t-memorize spiked to over 25% CPU usage before it closed. The game froze right after Steam crashed.

I’ll spit out the email I sent with a more detailed description, since I’m not in the mood to describe this anew. Obviously alt-tabbing out before the crash let me actually see Task Manager.

–-------------------------------------------------

Deadliest Warrior crash version:

The game loads the server and then freezes either in the first team/class selection menu, or a few seconds after. The displayed image simply stops moving.

Ctrl+Alt+Del > Task Manager > End Task seems to be the only thing that works to unfreeze the computer.

When performing the End Task, the Task Manager is not actually displayed: there’s some sort of black screen that covers up everything except the bar and the start button at the bottom of the screen. Arrow keys and Ctrl+E are necessary because the Task Manager isn’t actually displayed.

Afterwards, when opening the hidden icons in the bottom right of the screen (“Show Hidden Icons” button), the Steam icon is present but disappears as soon as it is moused over.

Medieval Warfare crash version:

It’s a similar crash to the one described above.

The difference is that the game freezes in the loading screen while connecting to the server.

The Steam icon still disappears when mousing over it as in the Deadliest Warrior crash above.

System specs:

It’s a new laptop (not sure if that matters).

MSI GE70

i7-4700MQ

Geforce GTX 765M (2GB GDDR5)

8GB DDR3 RAM

Windows 8

Start8 addon from Stardock (not sure if this matters)

• Not sure if this will be a double-post, sorry if it is.

This Steam-crashing bug is preventing me from playing either of the games (CMW and CDW).

Okay, after downloading a new browser the forum is working again. Apparently there are some issues with Firefox right now.

I sent an email to the report a player email address describing this when I found the forums weren’t working either ( kimiko@tornbanner.com ) and that email has a couple of the log files from some of these crashes.

I deleted/reinstalled using Steam, and that seemed to fix the game for one round.
    Sometimes it’ll work for a few moments after getting into a server before the game crashes.

I alt-tabbed out with Task Manager open and noticed that the Steam-bootstrapper-jargon-filled-program-name-that-I-didn’t-memorize spiked to over 25% CPU usage before it closed. The game froze right after Steam crashed.

I’ll spit out the email I sent with a more detailed description, since I’m not in the mood to describe this anew. Obviously alt-tabbing out before the crash let me actually see Task Manager.

–-------------------------------------------------

Deadliest Warrior crash version:

The game loads the server and then freezes either in the first team/class selection menu, or a few seconds after. The displayed image simply stops moving.

Ctrl+Alt+Del > Task Manager > End Task seems to be the only thing that works to unfreeze the computer.

When performing the End Task, the Task Manager is not actually displayed: there’s some sort of black screen that covers up everything except the bar and the start button at the bottom of the screen. Arrow keys and Ctrl+E are necessary because the Task Manager isn’t actually displayed.

Afterwards, when opening the hidden icons in the bottom right of the screen (“Show Hidden Icons” button), the Steam icon is present but disappears as soon as it is moused over.

Medieval Warfare crash version:

It’s a similar crash to the one described above.

The difference is that the game freezes in the loading screen while connecting to the server.

The Steam icon still disappears when mousing over it as in the Deadliest Warrior crash above.

System specs:

It’s a new laptop (not sure if that matters).

MSI GE70

i7-4700MQ

Geforce GTX 765M (2GB GDDR5)

8GB DDR3 RAM

Windows 8

Start8 addon from Stardock (not sure if this matters)

• This happens to me 3 times a day for some strange reason.

• MSI GE70
    I just got that laptop delivered today!

• @DokB:

This happens to me 3 times a day for some strange reason.

Ditto and always at the best part of a game.

Glad I’m not alone.

• I tried to make a post about this, but was post blocked by moderator approval.

I get this crash all the damn time, along with the cannot rank up bug, with my weapons all borked at low level.

• I’m getting the same types of crashes randomly. Screen stutters, then freezes and eventually UDK dies and takes Steam with it. Never had it happen on any other game.

• yes, this has been happening to me the past three days. once it crashed my pc and I had to restart it. I think TBS will, in true and proven TBS fashion, NOT respond to this, and the fanbois will quickly come to the defense of TBS. I, like everyone else, paid for this game and, silly me, expect it to work. Prove me wrong and address it Torn Banner. I doubt they will, but oh well. none of my other steam games crash or even glitch.

• @LordBenedictIronclaw:

yes, this has been happening to me the past three days. once it crashed my pc and I had to restart it. I think TBS will, in true and proven TBS fashion, NOT respond to this, and the fanbois will quickly come to the defense of TBS. I, like everyone else, paid for this game and, silly me, expect it to work. Prove me wrong and address it Torn Banner. I doubt they will, but oh well. none of my other steam games crash or even glitch.

None of them? About half of mine do.