Something That Would Be Awesome

• Currently the competitive community in MW has plenty of players, but not enough spectators. For example during then most recent tournament hosted by Height, the most people that were watching the livestream was I think 23 (or somewhere close to it).

All 23 of these spectators were just other comp players. If the comp scene has any chance to grow, we need non-comp players to know about these tournies and become interested in watching them.

For example in Natural Selection 2, on the main menu is a kind of news article. This news article displays tournaments, matches, patch notes, and all kinds of goodies, directly on the main menu for everyone to see. (with links to the forums, of course)

I used to play NS2 comp, and during livestreams of tournament matches, 100’s of people would watch. Most of them were, of course other comp players, but many were just pubbers, people who saw the tournament matches on the main menu and decided to watch them. NS2 has been out for about the same time as MW. Both were released some time in Oct. of last year I believe. Yet NS2’s comp scene is much more successful and commercially viable.

There was a massive world cup just this summer, with teams all around the world participating. Thousands of T-shirts and Gorge plushies have been sold. Imagine if Medieval Warfare had that kind of success.

This is what I propose. Replicate the “news article” NS2 has on its main menu. Deliver tournament dates, matches, teams, drama, patch notes, anything and everything people should see. This will help strengthen the bond between TBS and the community, and keep people informed on the current events of the game.

Imagine how many more people would’ve signed up for Aleks’ duel tournament, if they saw TBS put it in this news article in the main menu. They would get wrecked, of course. But they would learn, they would tell their friends to sign-up, the comp players could train them, they could start new clans!

I think this would help the community grow, and just be more connected and happy in general.

• TB made a good start when they regularly made posts about clans and tournaments. But then they were like “oh well, fuck it”. End of the story

• @afiNity:

TB made a good start when they regularly made posts about clans and tournaments. But then they were like “oh well, fuck it”. End of the story

Just like CMW balance patches. They decided they couldn’t balance CMW so they made DW and then they realised they couldn’t balance that either. I wonder what else they will try their hand at…

• the comp scene has already been & gone. most of the greatest players are gone

• @magilla:

the comp scene has already been & gone. most of the greatest players are gone

lol

• @Karasu:

@magilla:

lol

well, it’s not untrue

• @Karasu:

@magilla:

lol

lol its true lol

• Lies , untruths the comp scene is alive ! it breaths =p . The greatest players are here , those that left were just average.

• @loin:

those that left were just average.

So Hexen, Bada, and Moose were all just average? That’s cute. You’d be their play-toy if they were still around.

• Utter flippin rubbish tbh . Lets just re-establish the order here. The Brits are the best fps gamers in the world. Most of the strongest chivalry players
    are infact british. Always were, esp Knights, we just don’t go around bragging and are not crass but class :).

• @loin:

Utter flippin rubbish tbh . Lets just re-establish the order here. The Brits are the best fps gamers in the world. Most of the strongest chivalry players
    are infact british. Always were, esp Knights, we just don’t go around bragging and are not crass but class :).

Most of the greatest players are gone in Europe too.

@loin:

The Brits are the best fps gamers in the world. Most of the strongest chivalry players
    are infact british.

Not really, I’d say Swedish.

• @loin:

Utter flippin rubbish tbh . Lets just re-establish the order here. The Brits are the best fps gamers in the world. Most of the strongest chivalry players

Ask RK how they did against Faucheur.

• @Karasu:

Ask RK how they did against Faucheur.

We lost one and won one while playing on NA server with high pings.
    Faucher melee wasn’t even that great (we played these scrims like good months ago so I figure they improved a lot) but they had godlike archers, definitely a good challenge.

There is no way to tell if EU or NA is better with ping difference.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

We lost one and won one while playing on NA server with high pings.
    Faucher melee wasn’t even that great (but we played these scrims like good months ago so I figure they improved a lot) but they had godlike archers, definitely a good challenge.

There is no way to tell if EU or NA is better with ping difference.

Maybe I’m mistaken then. But I thought saw screens of 2 scrims where F won both. Either way, they’re the strongest players to have played in NA and they’re still around. And their melee is quite a bit better now.

• @Karasu:

Maybe I’m mistaken then. But I thought saw screens of 2 scrims where F won both. Either way, they’re the strongest players to have played in NA and they’re still around. And their melee is quite a bit better now.

I’m pretty sure we won one though my memory might be playin’ tricks on me. I think crushed have screenshots somewhere.

• The first step is building up a mailing list of players. A news letter of current clans, events, and clan recruitment part. As an event approaches mail the
    so called gaming magazines that were quick to rate Chivalry, considering some had not even ventured more then 1 map into the game.
    You don’t really need the Dev team to set that up. I suggest a small website, with some clan leaders and a spin doctor to handle media coverage etc.
    A good editor and a pool of refs for the events.

• Yes but the game has to be good for competitive play to begin with that’s the problem. As it is its almost perfect for pubs but pretty horrible for competitive games.

And a major problem TB has is they can’t balance the game for both parties. The pub players are the majority by a large margin. And guess which direction TB went. Not that its a bad thing.

Chivalry+. Though I think the SDK needs to be updated for that to become reality.

• I think the game has great potential for competitive play: high skill ceiling and big rewards for team play. The main problem i think is the lack of publicity.

• The cash tournament this summer showed all the reasons why this game is not fit for competitive play. At least not for money.

• @BillDoor:

The cash tournament this summer showed all the reasons why this game is not fit for competitive play. At least not for money.

A tournament supported by TBS in which they banned a player short notice from a wild hackusation but didn’t even really follow through in excluding said player’s contribution entirely by allowing their team to continue in the tournament. There was also a level of immaturity from some players, but in general it was handled pretty poorly.

Plus that was NA only. The scene where most players can’t even agree on the rules of the game when it comes to things like feints.