Viking dual wielding is underwhelming and suggestion how to fix it

• I know that many people, including myself, looked towards dual wielding class. With viking class we finally got it but does it work well? No it does not, in my opinion anyways.
    The dual wielding actually makes you do less dmg and only stabs do more dmg, which only worth when you are using swords but then you have to hit knights and samurais like 4-5 times. The dual wield attack that you do on a third hit is useless too since it does same dmg as normal attack. The speed really does not make a big difference either since I block dual wield as well as I block one handed. The stabs actually easier to block since you can’t drag them around the block as well as you can if you just one handed it. The berserk mode is really not great too since if you get blocked it goes away. To make it obvious, how many of you guys actually died and went, “That berserker mode got me there!” I know that I never have such reaction.
    The dual wielding seem like a huge waste to pick, it’s fun but not even that fun. The animations are not great and dmg is low, speed not worth it. I started played vikings two handed and for secondary axe and a shield, and the result is just so much better than it is with dual wielding. If anyone says that this is just me, go and pick dual wield set up and then compare your score to any two handed set up. I bet anyone will do better with two handed set up.

My suggestion is to fix dual wielding and make it actually a good set where there is a reason to pick it over two handed.
    *Leave the dmg as it is cause then it would be no different from one handed but also make one handed stab on norse sword do more dmg, since it makes no sense why the only one handed that is good for stabs is not good for stabs.

*Animations have to be reworked and the way you attack. Randomize them more. So add a set of one handed animations to each hand so when you attack it is not a constant loop of moves and istead they come out randomly. So than if you click lmb you wont always attack with right hand to the left, and instead you could do alt swig with left one. Also if you do an alt swing first then you would have a chance of either doing normal attack with left hand or alt attack with right hand. Same goes for overheads. This really will just make it look better.

*The stabs, remake it to where it stabs with single weapon and make stabs combo into each other. The single weapon stab so you can get around blocks better. The stab combo so that dual wield would have something new. This could make it better than one handed but when you pick one handed you do usually pick two handed anyways, dual wield needs something to make it worth picking. With stab combo your stabs could chain and you would take turns with which hand you stab with, left or right.

*The dual wield attack, as we know it is just as good as any other attack. I think it should actually do more dmg as it was told it would have. I am not sure how much more dmg, 150% or 200%. Something to make it so you wont have to hit knight 5 times with the sword if you land. It does rise a question but what about lighter classes? they will die faster. Yes and no. You would need to hit lighter classes 2-3 times anyways. Since you need two attack to even trigger it, the last attack doing more dmg would not matter if it did more dmg or not since it would have killed them anyways. Also all the attack should work for building up the dual attack, not only lmb cause that makes is just so much easier to block.

*There also should be different types of power attacks, normal that we got now, overhead and dual stab. We got dual stab now but as I already suggested it, it should be reworked and dual stab we have should become a power attack.

• The third “devastating strike” is supposed to deal more damage. But it doesn’t. They even called t devastating. All it does is the damage from the weapon in your right hand.

• Dual-stabs do more damage, as far as I’m concerned.
    I really like dual-wielding, always use it myself and I’m doing great with it. Attack rate is upped by default, which is really great, and you can switch between two different weapons mid-combo. (Granted, they do not differ too much in stats) Another nice advantage is that you can throw one weapon without having to go through a weapon switch animation.
    As for the “devastating” attack, I really think it should deal more damage, would be fun and rewarding since it’s hard to actually hit someone with it.

The Berserker is an amazing ability, especially with dual wield. If you manage to get to the fourth strike without being canceled by a block or an attack, your opponent will die in 80% of the cases, provided you utilize it well. Of course, against good players, you seldom get there.

The Viking really isn’t in need of any changes, imo.

• They can at least fix the bug where the 3rd strike from an LMB combo is supposed to do more damage. It doesn’t do more damage at the moment.

• Not sure if it’s a bug, but I agree that’s something that should be looked at.
    As we’ve both pointed out numerous times, it’s supposed to be “devastating”, yet it isn’t.

• I personally like 2x Norse viking a lot. In a 1 on 1 or small skirmish I stick with the shield primarily so that I can mix up with a sword throw or shield throw, while in group combat I go dual wield for the combo speed and constantly target switch. I find it pretty effective in that capacity.

• @SlyGoat:

I personally like 2x Norse viking a lot. In a 1 on 1 or small skirmish I stick with the shield primarily so that I can mix up with a sword throw or shield throw, while in group combat I go dual wield for the combo speed and constantly target switch. I find it pretty effective in that capacity.

Well why is the third attack called devastating when it isn’t???

• I actually surprised to how little replies this post got considering that nearly everyone I ever spoke to about dual wield said they are disappointed with it. I really do not think that there is any reason to pick dual wield over two handed. Simple reasons behind is that you will have more reach, more dmg, and still have a good speed with two handed than you would with dual wield. Go ahead and pick two handed and then try to come back here and tell me that you did better or as good with dual wield, I do bet you that you wont.
    The speed on dual swords is not enough to compensate for low dmg, with two handed axe you attack fast too and you have reach and dmg. The throw ability is ok too but once again better if you pick two handed and then one handed and a shield. If you do pick dual wield and throw your shield and one other weapon, you are left with just one one handed. If you pick two handed and throw your shield and other weapon you are left with more powerful two handed.
    Animations on dual wield sucks, I am not sure how anyone can deny that.

• @SlyGoat:

I personally like 2x Norse viking a lot. In a 1 on 1 or small skirmish I stick with the shield primarily so that I can mix up with a sword throw or shield throw, while in group combat I go dual wield for the combo speed and constantly target switch. I find it pretty effective in that capacity.

You can do all of this with any two handed + one handed and shield set up but much better than you can with dual wield.

• Many players seem happy with dual-wielding as it is now, including me.
    If you really think it’s worse, why not just accept that? I’m not doing as well with the two-handed weapons, but I’m not trying to change that.

• I wanted dual wield to actually be a good pick thats why I would like have it changed. It is not just my personal opinion and that I alone do better with two handed than with dual wield. I am sure if I even pull up stat wise comparison, dual wield will just lose in nearly everything.
    I can still understand that some people might think that it is alright but even then how can you not want better animations? As for balance, example. Pick dual swords = hit knight 5 times to kill. Pick dual axes, hit them 3 times to kill but be slower. Pick two handed axe, hit them twice with more reach than and as fast if not faster than one handed axes. I never see a viking with dual wield and think that he might be a hard kill, and they never are. Ones with dual wield can be thought. It is not that good players can’t do well with dual wield, but they wont do with it as good as they can with two handed. Thats why they always run with two handed.

• fuck i voted for yes… stupid question, i read “would you like changes” cause while some suggestions like a buffed third strike sound pleasing others are definitely stupid, so rather count me in for no

• I always like it how you post a detailed info on why you think something should be changed and why it would not make it too strong and then someone just say that it sounds dumb with no explanation why they think that. Thats always very informative. What is exactly bad about any of these suggestions? A third strike should do more dmg as they said it would have? The animations look better? The ability to build up a dual attack by other attacks but lmb?

• *Leave the dmg as it is cause then it would be no different from one handed but also make one handed stab on norse sword do more dmg, since it makes no sense why the only one handed that is good for stabs is not good for stabs.

-same dmg for slashes and overheads ok, i want more damage for double stabs though; then again the norse sword though being the obviously visually sharpest one hander wasn’t a weapon that excelled in stabbing but in slashing, that’s why it has that sort of crack down the blade wheight wise

*Animations have to be reworked and the way you attack. Randomize them more.

-no, simply no; it’s your job to make them appear random and i don’t want that unreliable guessing game for myself

*The stabs, remake it to where it stabs with single weapon and make stabs combo into each other. The single weapon stab so you can get around blocks better. The stab combo so that dual wield would have something new. This could make it better than one handed but when you pick one handed you do usually pick two handed anyways, dual wield needs something to make it worth picking. With stab combo your stabs could chain and you would take turns with which hand you stab with, left or right.

-i like the way it is with a double stab, find it funny, it could have been designed like you propose, still this is not sth i feel that is really missing; randomizing stabs wouldn’t also help getting around blocks or shields e.g. but would also make it difficult and random; not going into berserk//dual wielding mod already has advantages- the shield; the only way i can imagine stab combos would be is like start stabbing right, stabbing left, double stab, but keep in mind that stabbing chains could be potentially op anyways;

*The dual wield attack, as we know it is just as good as any other attack. I think it should actually do more dmg as it was told it would have. I am not sure how much more dmg, 150% or 200%. Something to make it so you wont have to hit knight 5 times with the sword if you land. It does rise a question but what about lighter classes? they will die faster. Yes and no. You would need to hit lighter classes 2-3 times anyways. Since you need two attack to even trigger it, the last attack doing more dmg would not matter if it did more dmg or not since it would have killed them anyways. Also all the attack should work for building up the dual attack, not only lmb cause that makes is just so much easier to block.

-last but not least: agreed, third attack could be more devastating; that balancing act of not doing 1hits to low armored classes can be encountered with some sort of dual wield attack resistance as every class has particular resistances against slashes, stabs, overheads, blunt and sharp dmg. though i don’t even demand that much of a dmg increase anyways, just more than it is now.

edit:
    just played two rounds as a dual wielding viking and it rocks!
    besides, having two norse swords and trying to reeuip your shield after you have thrown it away doesn’t work, u will just switch between one and dual wield with your shield just staying at your back mehh Q.Q

• Ok, I guess I should explain.
    What you said about dmg on dual stabs, I said that it should do more dmg on dual attacks since I do want dual stab to be a power attack too. More dmg on a normal stab would be too much since it already good.
    I did not mean to completely randomize attacks, if you do read what I suggested you would see it. I want it to be possible to alt attack with right and left hand. You would be fully in control there while it would be not that hard to block since it would be the same as if you used one handed where you can just start with alt any time. I guess I should have not put randomize them there since what I suggested leaves you fully in control of what animations would come out.
    As for shield staying on a back, yeah thats annoying bug.

• It’s not a bug. Like in MW you push 3.

3 is the button that toggles your shield.

1 and 2 toggles duel wield and one had and depending on what one you push depends on what you will hold in what hand.

In MW with the knight with two handed sword 1 toggled whether you held it in one hand or two hands while 3 toggled whether of not you had a shield when you held it in one hand.

Or did you just think in MW if you picked shield as a knight with a longsword you were stuck with that shield whenever you went one handed?

Ain’t a bug. Push 3.