Fixes: Things that need fixed (IMO)

• 1. Spartan Shield Bash: (My most hated mechanic atm). It’s simply too difficult to parry a Spartans Shield Bash the animation and where you need to parry are different places. (Both shield bashes although the overhead is harder to block than the alt “slash”).
    2. Shield Kicks: IMO it’s much too easy to kick someone’s shield down (although you are glued in place half the time when you do -.-) it should give you a little more warning seeing as how it’s just a free hit of the attackers choosing. Suggestion: Make it take longer to kick down (Not a whole lot but at least give me the time to react I would have to react to any other overhead/really damaging attack).
    3. Spartan Spear Throw: Why is it you can parry shurikens,shields,and other thrown weapons but not the spartan spears which are just as accurate and typically more damaging. This is not really a major concern I just find it a nuisance.
    4. Spartan Sword mechanics: The spartan swords seem to have more reach than their models indicate.
    5. If you couldn’t tell Spartan is kind of ruined for me atm :P (Even though I really want to play them as they’re my 2nd fav warrior in this game. :L )
    6. Stab ripostes for a few weapons are just a little too fast: Katana,Skeggox,Cutlass,Sometimes SoW (if that makes sense),Ninjato. There are probably more but that’s just off the top of my head, and yes I realize stab ripostes are supposed to be fast I just think these are a little too fast.
    7. I just hate the look of ending this with 6 so this is my 7th complaint of me only having 6 complaints.

• 1. They can be pretty hard to block if a Spartan squeezes against you. The fact that this is one the fastest attacks in the game and also makes you rotate your block more than any other default at attack can make it a bitch. However, after some practice, I think they’re possible to block, even at close range. (Provided your opponents ping isn’t too high) Players who are gonna use it tend to telegraph the attack pretty obviously before doing it.
    2. A tip is not to hold your block up unless you see a weapon attack coming at you. It’ll be easier to see the kick animation. Even if you hold your shield up, it is possible to react and release the block to a kick. Hard, but possible. I’ve met several good shield users who didn’t let me kick their shields up with ease. Also, this is a much needed weakness for shields.
    3. -
    4. Mostly a factor due to lag, I’d say. Applies to many weapons other than Spartan swords. I’d be lying if I said I don’t know what you’re talking about.
    5. -
    6. Now this right here is where I really disagree with you. Stab ripostes is a great way to keep players alert during combat, and to punish better players for falling into the patterns you draw. Also, the stab ripostes have very clear animations, so if you’re prepared, it’s easy to tell one is coming. I guess if you play against a Ninja with 200 ms ping, the Ninjato riposte stab would be a bitch. Also, about the “Sometimes SoW”, you might be thinking about ripostes when someone is one-handing the weapon. Ripostes get much faster with that weapon then.
    7. -

Speaking of stabs, I really think stabfeints should be given a look at. I was playing some duels against a dude who utilized the infamous “3rd person look down and feint-spam” tactic, and I was doing surprisingly well reading his attacks. That was, until he realized that stabbing is where it’s at. With a total of 90-100 ms ping between us, which is perfectly normal, I found it literally impossible to read stabfeints if he my opponent was at close range. The window you need to wait out during the windup animation is so long, that if you wait until it is safe to block, you’ve already been hit on the enemy’s side. (Which of course means you get hit on your side after you raised your parry.)

Of all the things in the combat in the game, this is the only thing I really think should be changed. Granted, there are other ways to get around this tactic, but for now, they don’t involve having the ability to block these attacks. And I really think players should be able to block all kinds of attacks with reasonable ping.

• The only thing I gathered from this thread is that you don’t know how to fight spartan class.

1. Why does the shield bash seem so unblockable?

protip: alt bash is thrown off to the side and dragged quickly around parries/blocks, usually with a misleading primary to get you to start to swing early and miss, you just need to block to the side as a counter, or not fall for the rope a dope. If the player threw the bash straight on it would be easily blocked like any other attack. You have to think of the tracers similar to an axe strike. Around instead of straight on.

2. Kicks are risk/reward right now, seems fine.

3. Spartans have a long wind up to throwing… adding the ability to block on top of that would make throwing them entirely useless. Plus the long stun after being hit when preparing to throw… often leading to another throw being qued for no reason.

4. Literally true of 90% of the weapons in the game, not just the spartan sword. It’s also not due to lag. Due entirely to poor oversight and rushed design.

5. Sounds like you spent more time on that class, and quickly mastered the ins and outs making it feel OP to you.

6. you may have OCD. :} in good jest

And I think feints should have been removed entirely, should severely affect stamina, or that a parry should be able to be stopped with the feint button. It’s just broken in certain situations with the sped up combat, essentially giving free hits – due to the inability to react.

• In the alpha you could parry anything. And spartan spears were really damn easy to parry. No one really complained a it it though. But they were easier to parry than Viking thrown weapons. The spinning of the Viking weapons in flight makes it hard enough to mean you can still parry them

Though I don’t know if try removed it entirely or just made it harder. There are some who claim to have parried spartan spear throws. I haven’t really tried.

• I thought I parried a Spartan spear throw once, but after repeatedly trying to do it again, I concluded that the spear flew past the body, and onto the insider on the shield of my back as I parried. If you get hit by a thrown object in the shield on your back as a Viking, you get the same stagger animation as you get when blocking a shield, so I guess it must have been that.

• @Nihilum:

The only thing I gathered from this thread is that you don’t know how to fight spartan class.

1. Why does the shield bash seem so unblockable?

protip: alt bash is thrown off to the side and dragged quickly around parries/blocks, usually with a misleading primary to get you to start to swing early and miss, you just need to block to the side as a counter, or not fall for the rope a dope. If the player threw the bash straight on it would be easily blocked like any other attack. You have to think of the tracers similar to an axe strike. Around instead of straight on.

2. Kicks are risk/reward right now, seems fine.

3. Spartans have a long wind up to throwing… adding the ability to block on top of that would make throwing them entirely useless. Plus the long stun after being hit when preparing to throw… often leading to another throw being qued for no reason.

4. Literally true of 90% of the weapons in the game, not just the spartan sword. It’s also not due to lag. Due entirely to poor oversight and rushed design.

5. Sounds like you spent more time on that class, and quickly mastered the ins and outs making it feel OP to you.

6. you may have OCD. :} in good jest

And I think feints should have been removed entirely, should severely affect stamina, or that a parry should be able to be stopped with the feint button. It’s just broken in certain situations with the sped up combat, essentially giving free hits – due to the inability to react.

1. As I said the alt bash isn’t a huge problem and it’s much easier to parry than the overhead. (Although still fairly diffiult.)
    2. Kicks are not really risk vs reward. The shield kick down is fast enough that I can not tell I need to drop my shield until it’s too late most of the time. That allows them a free strike of their choosing. The worst case scenario for the kicker is that they get stabbed…which a one handed weapon stab vs. getting a free overhead with a 2h weapon is well worth the risk. I’m just asking it be a bit more telegraphed when someone wants to kick. I find myself only using a shield when facing multiple opponents but in a 1 v 1 I will never pull it out vs a competent player.
    3.Their throw windup is fast enough they can use it comboes by backing up, which is fine except that I can’t parry that part of it. I wouldn’t mind nearly as much if I felt my shield was viable as then I could block it.
    4.Glad we agree on something xD.
    5. Yes, I did master spartan fairly quickly. I was playing duels and it did not take more than one 20-4 match to realize that what I was using wasn’t exactly fair.
    6. XD I hope not but it’s possible.

• This post is deleted!

• @B4RK:

1. They can be pretty hard to block if a Spartan squeezes against you. The fact that this is one the fastest attacks in the game and also makes you rotate your block more than any other default at attack can make it a bitch. However, after some practice, I think they’re possible to block, even at close range. (Provided your opponents ping isn’t too high) Players who are gonna use it tend to telegraph the attack pretty obviously before doing it.
    2. A tip is not to hold your block up unless you see a weapon attack coming at you. It’ll be easier to see the kick animation. Even if you hold your shield up, it is possible to react and release the block to a kick. Hard, but possible. I’ve met several good shield users who didn’t let me kick their shields up with ease. Also, this is a much needed weakness for shields.
    3. -
    4. Mostly a factor due to lag, I’d say. Applies to many weapons other than Spartan swords. I’d be lying if I said I don’t know what you’re talking about.
    5. -
    6. Now this right here is where I really disagree with you. Stab ripostes is a great way to keep players alert during combat, and to punish better players for falling into the patterns you draw. Also, the stab ripostes have very clear animations, so if you’re prepared, it’s easy to tell one is coming. I guess if you play against a Ninja with 200 ms ping, t
    he Ninjato riposte stab would be a bitch. Also, about the “Sometimes SoW”, you might be thinking about ripostes when someone is one-handing the weapon. Ripostes get much faster with that weapon then.
    7. -

Speaking of stabs, I really think stabfeints should be given a look at. I was playing some duels against a dude who utilized the infamous “3rd person look down and feint-spam” tactic, and I was doing surprisingly well reading his attacks. That was, until he realized that stabbing is where it’s at. With a total of 90-100 ms ping between us, which is perfectly normal, I found it literally impossible to read stabfeints if he my opponent was at close range. The window you need to wait out during the windup animation is so long, that if you wait until it is safe to block, you’ve already been hit on the enemy’s side. (Which of course means you get hit on your side after you raised your parry.)

Of all the things in the combat in the game, this is the only thing I really think should be changed. Granted, there are other ways to get around this tactic, but for now, they don’t involve having the ability to block these attacks. And I really think players should be able to block all kinds of attacks with reasonable ping.

1. Most do I agree, however a good spartan does not telegraph well and will basically get a free hit in with that shield (which again I wouldn’t even mind that much if it was a very low damage move, but when it takes 1/4 my life it gets irritating.)
    2.I disagree that’s it needed. Shields already have weakness such as dragging around it,poking through it, etc. Also yes I know to use shield as a parry and not just hold it up, but still it’s very easy for someone to keep walking towards me and then do what seems to be a facehug attack but turns out to be a kick and I can’t react. (Yes I know I can kick them off of me but it’s very stamina consuming and shield is already penalized for that is it not?) Also, the whole advantage to a one handed weapon should be the ability to have a shield and speed.
    4.I was told by Padawan that the weapons tracers only go in a straight line and so curved weapons actually have parts that don’t work (Example: Halberd axe head doesn’t have a hit tracer on it). Idk if this is even fixable, but it really isn’t that big of an issue.
    6.“The patterns you draw” is a problem, because it doesn’t take a helluva alot to setup a riposte of any kind. It’s parry, then attack. Super simple :P

Lastly, I don’t like feints at all in a game like this honestly. They’ve been broken since day 1 so I’m done fighting against them.

• You make some excellent points, OP.

Regarding kicks, I think they are a touch underpowered against shield-uses at the moment. Spartans in particular. With the average latency between players, I find it difficult to kick a Spartan with his shield up. All he has to do is backpedal - with the high movespeed in CDW, he’s usually out of range be the time the windup finishes. The biggest issue is that when you try to facehug to ensure that the kick hits, you leave yourself open to the shield-bash attack - I’ve heard a lot of arguments on both sides of this particular mechanic, and my opinion is that the hitbox and animation are not entirely in sync. I say this fully understanding how the tracers work: it’s very difficult to parry the Spartan scroll-down attacks, even if you know exactly what you’re doing.

As for parrying spears, I believe it is possible - I’m fairly certain I’ve done it a few times. But it’s entirely possible I was mistaken, and I think I shall spend some time researching this further.

• Do you mind Chivalry is going to be fixed before DW. Que jumping. wait your turn us chivalry players have waited for a year.
    Why should DW be fixed before Chivalry? I played DW a few weeks back and it was perfect tbh. You fuss pots :)

• You know, I think I agree. But know what would be nicer? If they were both fixed–wait for it–AT THE SAME TIME!

Dun dun DUN!

• Interesting theory , is it possible Multitasking in such a way? =P

• I hear multitasking is the latest technology to come out of China.

• @loin:

Do you mind Chivalry is going to be fixed before DW. Que jumping. wait your turn us chivalry players have waited for a year.
    Why should DW be fixed before Chivalry? I played DW a few weeks back and it was perfect tbh. You fuss pots :)

Well it’s far from perfect (at least spartan).Just FYI I have also waited for MW to be fixed. I’m rank 40 and eventually I decided that the devs had given up. MAA forced me to come here, and I found this game plays so much better than MW it’s not even funny. I think the Devs may have realized this too and I’m betting they’ll spend more time on their shiny new toy. ;P
    Also consider that I have a list of about 5 items that need fixed in this game and about 50 that need fixed on the other forum. IDK about you but I’d just get the little thing out of the way.

• @Funkmaster:

You make some excellent points, OP.

Regarding kicks, I think they are a touch underpowered against shield-uses at the moment. Spartans in particular. With the average latency between players, I find it difficult to kick a Spartan with his shield up. All he has to do is backpedal - with the high movespeed in CDW, he’s usually out of range be the time the windup finishes. The biggest issue is that when you try to facehug to ensure that the kick hits, you leave yourself open to the shield-bash attack - I’ve heard a lot of arguments on both sides of this particular mechanic, and my opinion is that the hitbox and animation are not entirely in sync. I say this fully understanding how the tracers work: it’s very difficult to parry the Spartan scroll-down attacks, even if you know exactly what you’re doing.

As for parrying spears, I believe it is possible - I’m fairly certain I’ve done it a few times. But it’s entirely possible I was mistaken, and I think I shall spend some time researching this further.

I hope you do well on the research :). On the subject of kicking down shields, if the shield bash were to be actually parriable though would it not be very easy for you to kick down someone’s shield? I’m hoping all of the things I’ve suggested are implemented not just half of them otherwise it would only cause more unbalance.

• You block the shield bashes the same way you block a slash.

Everything else you said is also no.

@loin:

Do you mind Chivalry is going to be fixed before DW. Que jumping. wait your turn us chivalry players have waited for a year.

Why would you need to fix a dead game? All the comp players left, who else is still caring about bugs like the Ballista that has been there since release?

• Just curious Helrin, do you play MAA or against MAAs? I left MW because MAA became OP 1v1 and I couldn’t enjoy duels as my favorite class.

I like a challenge and MAA doesn’t give it anymore.

• @BB:

I left MW because MAA became OP 1v1 and I couldn’t enjoy duels as my favorite class.

I think it’s widely agreed that MaAs have the highest skillcap, though that’s probably somewhat debatable given the low range of their weapons; it removes options like 180-overheads and makes a handful of other manoeuvres more difficult. I’ve seen skilled MaAs beaten in competitive duels by knights and javelineers, though vanguards seem to be at a dearth.

• @Funkmaster:

I think it’s widely agreed that MaAs have the highest skillcap, though that’s probably somewhat debatable given the low range of their weapons; it removes options like 180-overheads and makes a handful of other manoeuvres more difficult. I’ve seen skilled MaAs beaten in competitive duels by knights and javelineers, though vanguards seem to be at a dearth.

I’m not saying MAA is completely unbeatable, but they’re only beatable because everyone in that game is so mortal. They hold a clear advantage over almost every class in duels, and when I played MW the best duelist in our clan was a MAA named Nightshade. When I fought him as a knight he mutiliated me. MAA v MAA it was a pretty even thing which lead me to call his class EZ mode (because it is :p). Anyways, this is way off topic. I couldn’t help but answer :p

• Yeah, it’s very easy for a pretty good MaA to beat a very good Knight, I got sick of it. Then they buffed Spamgaurd to the point where fighting them is just irritating.