Request: Import Original AOC catapults/balistas/trebuches/siege tower models!

• My current projects is to convert / update original Age of Chivalry maps and bring them into Chivalry. I want to do this because they were all TO maps and were superior in almost every way when it comes to balance, objectives, strategies and playability. I truly feel that Chiv’s siege weapons simply suck. Their function is not really all that good, bad visibility and highly inaccurate not to mention limited ranges. Many of the map conversions not function/play as well with the current siege weapons that are available.

Thus I would like to export these models and import them into Chiv. It is possible and I have been looking into it to some degree but it is not my expertise because they need to be reworked and scaled for Chiv in a 3d modeler. There would also have to have controls added to these models and then imported into Chiv. The source SDK would have to be used along with several other external programs for pulling these models out of the HL2 engine.

If I could only get one then that would be the catapults because they were far superior in aiming, adjusting and firing them. You were not attached to it and it would automatically reload. There was no pressing and holding a button for range as you would adjust the range lever. Then move to the back of it and hit the trigger. You could also fight around it more effectively and did not need to disengage. The current catapults are useless and annoying than being practical in any way.

So if there are any skilled 3d modelers that can export and modify these models please let me know. I can host the files for all to use on one of my website storage locations.

• There is a siege tower model in the current SDK, which you can see in play in my map.

• The models are just models. The problems with the current catapults are a result of the way they are programmed, and importing models from AOC wouldn’t help that.

• The siege tower in Chiv sucks, it is too big and the wheels dont even roll.

Yes I understand that the cats in Chiv are programed a certain way. The idea with bringing in a different model with different functions should be easily programed. Hit E on ether side and it will rotate. Hit E on the front to adjust elevation. Hit E in the back to trigger the fire. The rest would be to attach the boulders to it correctly and to have it automatically reload. Since the model already does this, it should not function the same as the chiv cats but to do similar things in that it would launch boulders and they would do damage. Like I said they would have to be programmed for Chiv. But the idea is to have better function, accuracy and not to be mounted to it.

• @Retsnom:

The siege tower in Chiv sucks, it is too big and the wheels dont even roll.

I think it’s a bit clunky looking, but the size can be adjusted in the editor and it has to be big enough to reach the top whatever wall it’s approaching. If it were any smaller then the wall would be stupidly low.

Also the wheels not moving are simply due to me not programming the animation yet. I’ve got more important things to fix before worrying about that but it’s on my to-do list.

Not that I actually disagree that siege engines could be improved. I’d love to see those trebuchets be controllable.

• I think the siege towers were better designed in AOC than Chiv. The main difference is that there was a ladder at the back of the AOC towers making them far more efficient and thinner all the way around. The Chiv towers have that spiral ramp that just takes too long to navigate. Height it not really an issue. It is function and ease of use. I am still pondering why there is a sever lack of ladders used in this game let alone more moveable objects like doors, barrels, carts and the like. I am guessing just laziness, because the engine is more than capable of doing it.

• If you really want, I may be able to donate some of my time to making a new Siege tower with ladders and what not. You guys will need to do the actual siege parts of it. But yeah, I should be able to make a nice siege tower if you get me screenshots of the old AOC one.

• @Shrogg:

If you really want, I may be able to donate some of my time to making a new Siege tower with ladders and what not. You guys will need to do the actual siege parts of it. But yeah, I should be able to make a nice siege tower if you get me screenshots of the old AOC one.

wouldn’t it be easier just to export all those models into a 3d model program and make adjustments and export in a format that UDK can use? These are free models from a free mod that precedes Chiv. Why recreate the wheel if you don’t have too? Have you played AOC Shrogg? If not download it and play it. It is free. I used to map for it and it was far easier to work with in many cases than UDK.

as I said before, If I could only get one model, it would be the catapult, but there is a working and adjustable trebuche, balista and siege tower. If you haven’t played AOC, get it and play through the maps as they were far superior in objectives and playability than the current Chiv maps. Chiv maps just look pretty. If you do, hit me up and I will play through some of it with you. Hit me up on steam if you do.

My current projects is to recreate or port AOC maps into chiv.

• I took a look at AOC, But sadly there was only 3 servers and i got kicked from 2 of them for high ping, the other one was empty :/

But in most cases it will be better to recreate the assets. They will be lacking in so many ways. It would be easier to recreate them in most cases anyway. The models/textures would be at such a low resolution that it is really pointless.

The hardest part of all of this would be getting the models to function in C:MW. Importing is the easy part.

Also, There is the catapult in C:MW (I discovered this just as i got up to this line of typing)

Textures are screwed up, but i assume this is what you were talking about? (Looks identical to the one from AOC from what i recall)

• Yes that looks similar but getting it to function like the ones in AOC is really the most important part. On each side of the cat there was a trigger that would rotate it. press E and it would rotate in one direction, press E again and it would rotate in the opposite. There was also a similar trigger in the front that was the aiming site. Same trigger procedure instead it would go up and down. Finally there was the launch trigger at the back where it would launch the cat, then it would take it’s time and reload. This way the cat was always ready to fire and could be aimed then you could go fight while someone who spawned could trigger it.

Another issue is the aiming. In AOC you could Aim it directly straight down and kill those close to the cat. It also had a more distance and accurate ranging system with aiming the site.

• @Retsnom:

I think the siege towers were better designed in AOC than Chiv. The main difference is that there was a ladder at the back of the AOC towers making them far more efficient and thinner all the way around. The Chiv towers have that spiral ramp that just takes too long to navigate. Height it not really an issue. It is function and ease of use. I am still pondering why there is a sever lack of ladders used in this game let alone more moveable objects like doors, barrels, carts and the like. I am guessing just laziness, because the engine is more than capable of doing it.

Yeah, a ladder would be better than a ramp.I got ladders to work, there’s no “server lack of ladders”. The last update to my TO map made the ladder glitch but they worked fine up till that point.

• I can tell you this much. Zombo joe and i have been able to export the old helms deep castle an a remake is in the works. If you need something specific i may be able to help you.