Whatever you did with nerworks in last updates, undo it

• The game lags horribly since few small updates before. I can’t play a game without teleporting everywhere. I also join servers that are like ping 50 and then my ping there constantly going between 70 and 100. Sometimes it spikes up to 700 or 300. It becomes nearly unplayble.
    Before anyone even starts saying something about my network since we all know people like nothing more than talk shit to someone they don’t know. My net is fine, everything else works fine. I tried other games online and there is no lag. Also if you noticed there been similar posts before, people start lagging more since about 2 updates ago. This reminds me how DW was in beta, the lag was terrible. No one crashed as much or lagged before. If you undo what you done it wont make other people lag but it sure will stop the ones that do now.

• Well none of the above happens to anyone else I know.

You sure your net is fine?

• We’ll at the moment you seem to be having issues with either your own network or the game net code. However the majority of people are not reporting lag in the way you describe (the games has been fine for me too) so whether you like it or not we’d still have to start trouble shooting at your end of things.

So firstly, what is you network card (wifi etc) and what the connection speed of your connection, chivalry does seem reasonably high on the bandwidth compared to other games as there’s a lot going on. Are you able to ping a geographically close server, there are a couple of them in the uk in my sig. You can run ping -t @@@ where @ is the server ip. This does a constant ping, it lets you see if there is any intermittent packet loss.

I assume when this lag happens there is no drop in fps (stat fps in the console)? Also worth the usual things like updating any network/wifi drivers as a good starting point.

Failing the above I’d probably start looking at something like a port sniffer to see exactly what’s happening with you the network connection when. The periods of lag occur.

• I understand how annoying it can be to get such a common problem while it’s still unique for everyone. For example, I once got no more than 5 servers in the list to show up but any attempts at Googling the problem constantly came up with the classic “Empty server list” bug.

As for your problem, I did in the past have a lot of connection issues(mainly with this game) so try the following, if you’re willing to:

1. Active services in the background
    I’ve never had lagspikes in other games, but when I tried Chivalry my ping tended to go haywire from time to time. Aborting any background processes in the Task Manager didn’t fix the problem. So in the start menu, I typed “Services”, opened that menu, and disabled EVERYTHING I didn’t need for online gaming. (And I mean everything, not just the ones that seem like downloaders).
    Trust me, you probably won’t crash your PC or anything like that. This fixed the problem for me.
    My guess is that for some reason Windows didn’t realize that the UDK.exe process was a game and therefore any background streaming services should have been paused.

2. Network users
    Log into your router (if you have one) and check whether or not you can see which user in your network is taking up the most bandwith. Because honestly, I can’t tell how many times I’ve pondered with this problem only to find out my brother is streaming his usual crap. Trying to play Chivalry is a valid reason for blocking someone from the network temporarily >:D

• I’ve seen it happen a few times on TO 24p official servers, where everyone’s ping shot up to 200+ and then defending team stopped respawning. But it seems somewhat rare and most of my play sessions are pretty normal as usual.

• It worked fine for me just not long ago, why would it change now? Everything else works fine, every other online game I tried works ok but chivalry. I saw peoples ping shoot up in servers I was at and saw people asking if anyone else spikes so it’s not just exclusive to me problem. There been some topics since last update that have people report their game crash and some ask if anyone else have performance issues.
    I do join official servers and some other ones, all close to me. I joined them before and never had any lag issues. I will check what you guys suggested but honestly I already know it wont help. I had similar issue in one other game few years back. Where an update made my ping horrible if I joined any partys while every other game worked fine. The issues was fixed a few months after when they had more updates.

• I, too, have had this issue. Being moderately conversant in the state of my computer and connection, I can testify that it’s not an issue on my end.

However, I have not had this issue on all servers. My observation suggests it’s not related to consecutive playtime nor server population, but just to certain servers. Most of the DW servers are like this to a small degree, and about 60% of the CMW servers I’ve visited recently are like this. When I find a good server, I try to stick with it for a while. =3

• If it’s a case of everyone’s ping is fine in the server, then suddenly after playing for sometime, everyone’s ping shoots up to 200-300ms (often then inducing a team, usually agatha, to be unable to spawn) then that would be a bug that’s already been reported (common on TO maps) and has been around long before the last patch.

However I had assumed from your previous post that this was just yourself, rather than evryone in the server.

• It’s not just me, I see other people pings shoot up too, I just did not had that before the few updates ago.

• @MonkeyFiend:

a bug that’s already been reported (common on TO maps)

No sir, not this. Just my ping, or possibly FPS, as the screen freezes for a second or three. And it’s not just in TO maps; it happens in CDW all the time.

• It could just well be the case of new players (troll players) joining wrong servers, especially with the current sale. It is amazing how much carnage one persons 500+ ping can cause on a heavily loaded server.

• @jrmftw:

It could just well be the case of new players (troll players) joining wrong servers, especially with the current sale. It is amazing how much carnage one persons 500+ ping can cause on a heavily loaded server.

He is dead on. On an already heavly loaded server, all it takes is one noob douche bag that joins a crowded server not paying attention to his ping. Even a 200+ ping joining can crush a server if it is not very stable to begin with specially if he has friends.

• Hence why long awaited ping display in Kick Reason pop up is needed or having ping limits on servers. 3 warnings if their ping is above X, 4th warning = kick banned for X minutes.

I don’t understand TB’s mind at all on this issue.

In a game that relies HEAVILY on a persons latency, why they wouldn’t have these sorts of options in the first place?

Ping in Kick Reason should have been in this game LONG ago.

• @DokB:

Hence why long awaited ping display in Kick Reason pop up is needed or having ping limits on servers. 3 warnings if their ping is above X, 4th warning = kick banned for X minutes.

I don’t understand TB’s mind at all on this issue.

In a game that relies HEAVILY on a persons latency, why they wouldn’t have these sorts of options in the first place?

Ping in Kick Reason should have been in this game LONG ago.

Agreed but they rely on server admins to use an external server admin client, Big Brother Bot, which I could never get it to work properly or installed on my rented servers. You have to be a programmer to even figure it out. Funny how they dont even run BBB on their own servers.

• It really wouldn’t take much effort and time to pop in a simple logic check of player pings averaged over 1 min, after 1 min of the map loading. If somones ping is 200+, or better yet a variable set by the server admin in an ini file orsomething, Kick em. Too easy and really should be a staple of most modern games.

• It’s getting so annoying that I am thinking of just not playing at all. Every single server lag spikes yet I log into other online game to check and it works fine with much larger servers. Honestly if there were any updates on net just roll that back, no one complained about that kinda lag back then so it wont hurt anyone but sure would help people that have lag now.

• @Sciffer:

It’s getting so annoying that I am thinking of just not playing at all. Every single server lag spikes yet I log into other online game to check and it works fine with much larger servers. Honestly if there were any updates on net just roll that back, no one complained about that kinda lag back then so it wont hurt anyone but sure would help people that have lag now.

Problem is its only affecting you.

I mean I got a couple of lag outs today when I first joined a server and that was about it. I hadn’t lagged out in months. Though my computer booted really slowly and it took ages to do anything so its was probably more to do with me than the game.

• Can barely play this game at night because the singapore servers start filling up with retarded, bleary-eyed americans, all of whom have at least 300 ping.

• @dudeface:

Can barely play this game at night because the singapore servers start filling up with retarded, bleary-eyed americans, all of whom have at least 300 ping.

Same for Australian and NZ servers. I shift+tab to see where these people are from. About half of them are from the states. And then there’s the rest of the world.

They don’t even bloody know what ping is.

• I mention a post by me long ago about the fact the states players get the best of both peak times, in which I suggested
    ping limiting the servers. The funny thing is when I drifted onto a states server a few times in the early hours a kick was swiftly
    call voted to kick me. The EU and UK is just a soft touch tbh. limit pings max 160? I suggest. The states won’t hesitate at all to boot you off and almost instantly. Toughen up EU !