Longsword in the competive scene

• @DokB:

You might hate me for saying this Yak, but you could always just feint them and trick them into making a mistake. :P As much as you may hate the idea of relying on feints, you should remember that you are fighting an archer. I assure you the archer does not have a problem shooting you in the shins from 50 meters away then running away laughing just to do it again. You should have no qualms with using every underhanded trick in the book to split his shit eating grin with your longsword. See how feints can be useful? While not always necessary, they are good to have available when there is little chance of either person having a weapon dragged past their parry.

And if that is really off limits, then broadsword/norse Knight secondary are always an option to match the speed/reach of an archer melee.

If i have committed to using the longsword and shield for a full round then i prefer to use some of the other tools at my disposal.
    -fly kick
    -jump up and reach over to stab in the head.
    -my primary option - flank and stab in the side
    -deliberately stab wide and drag the stab back on target at the last moment
    -win on timing
    -cross diagonally to the weapon side of my target whilst swinging. (foot work)
    -shield bash and then jump over their attack
    -put away the shield and use the long sword 1 handed so i can riposte.

With all those options i prefer to not feint, but the reason is because i feel it takes more time to feint then it does to execute a good attack and use good timing.

Funny you mention it, my last 20-30 hours have been spent on the broadsword - knight. The broadsword is more effective in TO then the longsword in terms of no. of kills. I still find the longsword can be ok for damage : damage taken if you happy to have all of your kills stolen.

The norse sword has a powerful stab but i don’t rate it over all, imo broadsword is better.

• I find the SoW wielded with 2 hands is great, two stabs to kill a vanguard I’ll take that. The speed of it is the best part.

However, I find that with sword and board the Longsword seems to be better, mainly because I find I stab less whilst using a shield, not sure why but I do. Since I’m stabbing far less the SoW isn’t as good in that situation, although the alt-slash with the SoW tends to land more often then it should. It has surprising speed and reach with alt-attack.

The Messer is also good with a board

• @Toll:

I find the SoW wielded with 2 hands is great, two stabs to kill a vanguard I’ll take that. The speed of it is the best part.

However, I find that with sword and board the Longsword seems to be better, mainly because I find I stab less whilst using a shield, not sure why but I do. Since I’m stabbing far less the SoW isn’t as good in that situation, although the alt-slash with the SoW tends to land more often then it should. It has surprising speed and reach with alt-attack.

The Messer is also good with a board

I’ve made the switch from LS and kite to SoW and kite over the last 70ish hours, and there’s no way in hell I’m going back. The dragged alt slash to stab is so useful, and with the right footwork it can get around nearly any defense. The LS is still a decent weapon, but for sword and board the SoW delivers the speed you need to prevent yourself from losing the inevitable stamina battle.

• Hmm,
    I’ve had success with the SoW and kite shield before and i like the stabs on it, but prefer to try and make use of the swing on the longsword or its overhead. the longsword and board is just underwhelming. When people are afk in duels i stab people in the head to see how many stabs it takes to kill a knight, for example, and its like 3-4stabs….wtf.
    Anyway, i’ve had very good success with the broadsword and kite shield (knight), you can overpower players quite effectively, the stab is good, the overhead is FAST, the damage is good on all attacks, and the hit to kill ratio is good because you can often get in a few hits in a row.
    I do feel for my knightly foes who pass without landing a single hit or sometimes get no swings off at all.

• @giantyak:

Hmm,
    I’ve had success with the SoW and kite shield before and i like the stabs on it, but prefer to try and make use of the swing on the longsword or its overhead. the longsword and board is just underwhelming. When people are afk in duels i stab people in the head to see how many stabs it takes to kill a knight, for example, and its like 3-4stabs….wtf.
    Anyway, i’ve had very good success with the broadsword and kite shield (knight), you can overpower players quite effectively, the stab is good, the overhead is FAST, the damage is good on all attacks, and the hit to kill ratio is good because you can often get in a few hits in a row.
    I do feel for my knightly foes who pass without landing a single hit or sometimes get no swings off at all.

I use broad and kite in scrims, mainly to minimise the chance of stabbing through and tagging a team mate, and I do agree that broad/norse with shield is one of the most potent knight setups available. The length you get with the SoW though is perfect for running down MaA.

• good point, i have noticed that the broadsword often falls just short when you stab and the MAA leaps backwards, but then they often manage that with the longsword and board too.

• Wait wait…Longsword= slow??? It’s way faster than the Greatsword, but when I kill someone with my greatsword, they always complain about it being way too fast.

• The LS is amazing in Chiv+. ^_^

• @Peter:

Wait wait…Longsword= slow??? It’s way faster than the Greatsword, but when I kill someone with my greatsword, they always complain about it being way too fast.

As far as windups go slash is the same, LS is .025 seconds slower on the overhead, and GS is .1 slower on the stab. GS has faster combo times by .02 though, so they are pretty close to identical. I personally think the GS could use to be a hair slower and maybe even cut down on the release time for the stab. You can literally stab over someone’s head, wait for their parry to drop and just pull it down. lol.

• @giantyak:

Hmm,

Try using shields against good players.
    It’s unviable, to say the least.

• Isn’t greatsword longer?

• @Le:

As far as windups go slash is the same, LS is .025 seconds slower on the overhead, and GS is .1 slower on the stab. GS has faster combo times by .02 though, so they are pretty close to identical. I personally think the GS could use to be a hair slower and maybe even cut down on the release time for the stab. You can literally stab over someone’s head, wait for their parry to drop and just pull it down. lol.

You could go and make yourself a cup of coffee in the time a vanguard has to manipulate a GS stab. Not to mention that the overheads seem to cut straight through parries/blocks half the time.

@rumpelstiltskin:

Isn’t greatsword longer?

I’d say so. Kind of mitigates the difference between LS and GS stabs if the reach allows it to connect earlier.

• @Pungvarg:

Try using shields against good players.
    It’s unviable, to say the least.

Puma and Sponge do pretty well with it…

I guess it’s a personal thing too; I struggle much more against good shielders than against anything else (except maa(obv) and halberd).

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Isn’t greatsword longer?

Even the claymore is longer.

Not sure on the spreadsheet though, but the unreliable in-game screens says so.

• @Harry:

Puma and Sponge do pretty well with it…

I guess it’s a personal thing too; I struggle much more against good shielders than against anything else (except maa(obv) and halberd).

By good people I mean the caliber of Amon, Stormchazer, Happy. And more too.
    It’s just impossible to make it work against such skilled players, because they can’t be hit unless you feints, and if you feint you lose alot of stamina - something which is crucial and expensive for shield users.
    So if they just read the feint pattern/feint outright and attack or block it, or just use footwork to avoid the hit after falling for a feint, you come to the point where the shield user is panting and no longer can feint and then it’s just facehug and overhead spam until he runs out of stamina. And when he runs out of stamina, he will die.

• At one stage before this got onto the greatsword we were talking about Longsword and board. Longsword 1h is pretty cumbersome and slow compared to the greatsword if you ask me, especially because the greatsword is one of the longest swords it does negate its slow speed (which can be dragged fast).
    I did check the chiv spread sheet and it says the 2h Longsword is slower in terms or windup and release and combo then the 1h longsword? I’m not sure if i believe that, but then again it could just be that the 2hLongsword is greatly more ‘dragable’ then the 1hLongsword.
    I kill very good players with Longsword and board often enough, those fights become all about footwork, timing, and manhandling. In those fights that loadout falls down most with the bad hit:kill of the 1h longsword. I can kill people with death by 1000 cuts, but its still pushing shit up hill.