Haven't played in forever, how's the game?

• @DokB:

Didn’t intend to start a feint discussion, but saying things like “block not working” and comparing it to a game of poker (which is slightly ironic because you still need insight as well as a forever changing game plan based on the cards and what your opponent does in poker) is silly. A feint in Chivalry is supposed to fool your opponent into blocking early. You act as if there is nothing you can do to prevent falling for feints.
    Brandistock, polearm tracers, buggy charge range/speed, knockback etc. etc.

Push to feint is a luck thing because there are no proper visual queues that a feint is coming. This is different to dragging however where you can see what attack is coming and have ‘live’ visual queues on what is going on. The only clue you have with a push to feint is the grunting noise and that is unreliable unless your playing 1 v 1. As there are no visual queues for feinting Dragging > feinting and feinting needs to be abolished from the game - you can achieve a similar level of deceptiveness with a drag with skill and not luck.

Regarding, C:MW, i never stopped playing. Just slowly perfecting as many loadouts as possible.

• If you expect your opponent is going to feint, then put yourself in a position where you are less likely to fall for it, this comes down to knowing the range of enemies weapons. That, or you can simply attack first yourself + if you are close you can always move yourself forcibly into your opponents tracers when you parry.

The point of it is, if you expect it, then you have the means to counter it. Feinting and dragging are too different mechanics all together. Suggesting that you remove feints is the dumbest thing I have heard for a while however, I expected better from you. If you remove feints, you remove a part of the skill ceiling that is there in Chivalry. Sure, not everyone uses it, but it is good to have it there. Remove feints and you dumb the game down even further than it’s already become.

• True,
    It still holds that graphically it’s broken, it just doesn’t look right, and there aren’t proper visual queues, so it should be fixed or removed.

Even just making it so that if you feint you have to continue with the type of attack you started with would be better then what it is now. Swing feint -> stab looks retarded. Failing this, if you pick an alternative attack after feinting you should have to windup the subsequent attack (given that your doing a completely different motion now). Visually the feint would at least look more sensible then as opposed to a 4kg sword teleporting to a new position.

• I don’t have problems with feints anymore. I find feint duels to be much more fun than no feint duels. Feints open up a whole new way to duel it’s amazing. Plus in feint duels, when you’re at a high-level there a very few feints used normally. I would recommend you just find a dueling buddy and do feint duels with him/her for a few hours. Once you get the hang of it, it is so much more fun than the whole " Drag-parry-riposte-parry-drag-parry-riposte-drag-parry" etc.

If you are new I would recommend you always duel with feints. I have a friend who has always used and dueled against feints. Since he always used them he got used to them and now rarely falls for them. Seriously when he calls my feints my jaw drops because he can call them so consistently and punish me for using them nearly every single time.

• @DokB:

If you expect your opponent is going to feint, then put yourself in a position where you are less likely to fall for it, this comes down to knowing the range of enemies weapons. That, or you can simply attack first yourself + if you are close you can always move yourself forcibly into your opponents tracers when you parry. The point of it is, if you expect it, then you have the means to counter it. Feinting and dragging are too different mechanics all together. Suggesting that you remove feints is the dumbest thing I have heard for a while however, I expected better from you. If you remove feints, you remove a part of the skill ceiling that is there in Chivalry. Sure, not everyone uses it, but it is good to have it there. Remove feints and you dumb the game down even further than it’s already become.

I completely agree. There is no reason to remove one mechanic without removing the other. Neither is more powerful than the other. Neither takes any more skill than the other even though I have seen far too many drag spinning. Which looks even worse than anything I have seen.

• @Flippy:

If you are new I would recommend you always duel with feints. I have a friend who has always used and dueled against feints. Since he always used them he got used to them and now rarely falls for them. Seriously when he calls my feints my jaw drops because he can call them so consistently and punish me for using them nearly every single time.

Exactly this, my strategy from the beginning has always been to completely ignore the existence of feints because they cost more time. If you instead place more importance on timing and range what ends up happening is that you see an opening on your enemy and start your attack, they start a feint and you hit them before they can execute their attack.

The reason feints are cheap is because they don’t have proper visual queues; meaning you windup a swing, you can feint, and then proceed to finish with a stab. That whole process looks wrong because the animations don’t match up properly. This also means that you can flail about thoughtlessly and then when you realise you selected the wrong attack for the task you can push to feint and start the correct attack.
    (Sometimes you’ll run into spam bot machines (actual players) where all they do is swing->feint->stab ; parry -> riposte. Depending on their weapon choice this can actually be really challenging if they’ve spent hundreds of hours doing only this.)
    Moreover, with push-to-feints there is actually no way of knowing what the final attack will be because the end part of the ‘feint attack’ doesn’t have to be what the feintee started with.

So you end up in a situation where the attacker doesn’t know what his final attack will be and neither does the target. Because until the attacker has expressed his mandate to pick his final attack no one knows what is coming and this rewards thoughtless play.

Conversely, with a ‘drag attack’ the attacker has to select what attack he will use before he uses it (forethought/planing/strategy =/= thoughtless) and the defender can see what windup->attack is coming, so he is afforded that opportunity. Visually it makes sense. You can understand what is happening. The weapon does not teleport to a new position per push-to-feint.

• @giantyak:

The reason feints are cheap is because they don’t have proper visual queues; meaning you windup a swing, you can feint, and then proceed to finish with a stab. That whole process looks wrong because the animations don’t match up properly. This also means that you can flail about thoughtlessly and then when you realise you selected the wrong attack for the task you can push to feint and start the correct attack.

(Sometimes you’ll run into spam bot machines (actual players) where all they do is swing->feint->stab ; parry -> riposte. Depending on their weapon choice this can actually be really challenging if they’ve spent hundreds of hours doing only this.)
    Moreover, with push-to-feints there is actually no way of knowing what the final attack will be because the end part of the ‘feint attack’ doesn’t have to be what the feintee started with.

The whole purpose of a feint is to trick your opponent. If they made the animations “give away” the fact that you’re going to feint it would be pointless.

@giantyak:

So you end up in a situation where the attacker doesn’t know what his final attack will be and neither does the target. Because until the attacker has expressed his mandate to pick his final attack no one knows what is coming and this rewards thoughtless play.

I think you’re over-complicating this. If a player makes the decision to feint, he’s going to have his next move planned out in his head based on the read of his opponent. An attack “not knowing” what his next attack will be should not be playing a video game. There’s plenty of thought that goes into feinting. You have to read your opponent and time them properly. Do them too much and you become easily predictable. Attack too quickly or wait too long to do a follow-up attack and your opponent can still get a parry off. Feinting is far from thoughtless. The only thing that makes it a little more convenient than dragging is the fact that all you have to do is press a button. This does not mean press button = free hit. A skilled opponent will know how to read a feint or evade the follow-up attack.

@giantyak:

Conversely, with a ‘drag attack’ the attacker has to select what attack he will use before he uses it (forethought/planing/strategy =/= thoughtless) and the defender can see what windup->attack is coming, so he is afforded that opportunity. Visually it makes sense. You can understand what is happening. The weapon does not teleport to a new position per push-to-feint.

As described in the last paragraph, a feint does require sufficient forethought to be effective. You have to be able to predict how your opponent will react or what the chances are that he will anticipate your feint based on his read of you. It’s 100% a mind game.

If you’re saying drags are easier to read, I’m afraid I have to disagree with that as well. You have to anticipate a drag just as you would anticipate a feint. The only difference is with a drag you know your opponent is swinging his weapon, but you don’t see the drag until it happens.

• Lejosh the type of player you’re describing (those that use push-to-feint carefully and with thought) can be very difficult to beat AND if you took feint away from them i doubt they’d be much worse off.
    Compare that to a thoughtless push-to-feint player and there’s still a chance the thoughtless player might win. There are a few thoughtless push-to-feint players who are over lvl 40 and some even over 50. (when i say thoughtless i mean: spam a particular sequence over and over. It does become predictable.)

Yes drags can be a challenge but you do get constant live visual feedback on what is happening. For those players to win they generally have to work harder IMO.

• @giantyak:

There are a few thoughtless push-to-feint players who are over lvl 40 and some even over 50. (when i say thoughtless i mean: spam a particular sequence over and over. It does become predictable.)

Since they become predictable then you know how to deal with them ;)

@giantyak:

Yes drags can be a challenge but you do get constant live visual feedback on what is happening. For those players to win they generally have to work harder IMO.

I agree with you on this. I personally find drags to more difficult to execute, thus more rewarding.

• @theuprising:

Obviously I’m not talking about the expansion. I heard its terribly balanced. When I left, stamina changes finally made Van viable but they were reverted to a higher level a patch later. MAA remained the king of duels as always, and Knights were in one of their weakest states in duels.

Did feints get removed or fixed yet? That’s the one thing I hated about the game, how much luck was added in with feints. I also hated how you had to play the game in 120 fov b/c of the bizarre design decision to make a melee game Fpv.

It can be as fun as it can be frustrating and broken.
    1handers reach is still not fixed and they can still hit you from the same range than a 2h.
    That’s the biggest flaw in the game IMO, since now everyone who know this flaw goes either MAA or Knight with Hammer and tower shield.

They should just double the 2h reach and be done with it, since they obviously don’t know how to fix this properly.

• @The:

It can be as fun as it can be frustrating and broken.
    1handers reach is still not fixed and they can still hit you from the same range than a 2h.
    That’s the biggest flaw in the game IMO, since now everyone who know this flaw goes either MAA or Knight with Hammer and tower shield.

They should just double the 2h reach and be done with it, since they obviously don’t know how to fix this properly.

What are you on about?