AOC Pawn Player Collision and Crouching

• After working in the Chilvalry Editor for a couple of weeks. I’ve notice some concerning problems with the Characters!
    Which lead me to wonder why these problems even exist and WHY? this wasn’t one of the first bugs to fix. I have spent 3 years working with the Unreal engine …modding and mapping for UT3. Needless to say these problems don’t exists in UT3.

The Main problem…when crouching the player collision does not change! Its seem that the code is in the AOC Pawn code…but it doesn’t seem to work. I’m not sure if it’s due to the Character Scaling or what. This leads me to wonder if you were fighting with another player and he goes to stab you in the head…but you Crouch…you still get stabbed in the head! Because your collision still says that your head is there.

Heres a quick vid I made. Using a square of BSP which is exactly 128uu’s above the floor surface. The player which I was told is 128uu’s and apparently is not. I was told the scale is 1.5 of the original which seems about right but In actuality the characters are 142uu’s. When crouching the player is clearly under the bsp…but still cannot get under the bsp block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teOzjREp6qQ&feature=youtu.be

• Crouching doesn’t change your collision at all, although it does change your hitbox (where weapons can collide and do damage).

• Do you think they will bother to fix this?

• Well it doesn’t really change anything in the game. There aren’t any small holes/vents (lol) in the game you could go through anyway by crouching.

• It doesn’t change the game Huh…obviously you’ve never made a map/level! So because it doesn’t appear to be broken its Ok to deal with glitches and problems. Its simple …there is a proper way to do stuff when it come to the Unreal engine!

• This is intentional. Crouching through vents and under tables was not part of the design, as it would be highly exploitable by ranged classes in a melee focused game.

• So by allowing the Pawn to appear to be crouching is intentional…he can crouch to avoid an attack but there’s an invisible blocking collision stick up from his head to restrict his maneuverability. Sorry I don’t see it. I guess were just gonna have to fix it in our custom game code. Thanks for the reply Andrew

• A lot of that has to do with the fact that they dont use the default DUCK command for actually ducking the player pawn. If you typed DUCK in console then you would be able to duck under it. I am not sure why they didnt toggle it to the DUCK command other than being able to animate it correctly or due to the lean forward and back ducking that is used as a combat duck. I believe it would be easy to bind DUCK to a key but not sure if it would toggle correctly. You would have to ask them directly as to their reason.

It kind of sucks because this also negates the possible crouch jumping to get to higher elevations. I know that they did not want to allow crouch jumping. Why, I dunno. It could simply be that they just didnt know better. The example of not knowing any better is why the player model scale is so big.

• Well said Retsnom… Much agreed about the player scale. I believed they caused more problems for themselves…and anyone who wants to mod their game. I honestly can’t believe this game is so popular with all the glitches.

• @MG-Powers:

Well said Retsnom… Much agreed about the player scale. I believed they caused more problems for themselves…and anyone who wants to mod their game. I honestly can’t believe this game is so popular with all the glitches.

Look at GTA V, skyrim.

• I agree with you MG-Powers, it was very short sited to not allow real crouching and and crouch jumping. This was not never an issue in Age of Chivalry and indeed was quite fun and added another level of skill and combat elevations. It sadly also limits level design.