Admins ruining new maps

• Hey, I just went on a server which was playing some new maps. The first was Helms Deep which everyone wanted to play, then we played I think its called Malric’s manner TO. The objective was broken, the lava just wouldnt work properly which meant we had to wait for 20 mins for a new map even though everyone wanted the admins to change the map which they refused. By which point alot of people had left. The next map was the same map but LTS. Again people left and it was just boring. Then the server changed map to CTF on this grey and white map which was completely broken and had AI completely blocking doors and invisible bubbles which meant you couldn’t capture the flag. Obviously then everyone left and then the server crashed…

My point is server admins are just running broken maps and had a rubbish map order which just kills the server. Meaning the only server running new maps is the duel one on duelyard.

• That is quite subjective. You are sure that there were actual admins on? I run a mixed server with traditional and some custom maps in rotation. I only put the custom maps that are the most bug free in rotation. That means there is only 5 out of the 50+ maps available to play in my rotation eventhough most all custom maps are installed on my server. I dont even run helms deep in rotation because it is a horrible map to play, objectives suck and it is just too big. But it sort of looks pretty.

But by all means, no one is stopping you from hosting/renting a server and run it the way you want.

• @Retsnom:

…… I only put the custom maps that are the most bug free in rotation. That means there is only 5 out of the 50+ maps available to play in my rotation…

I have been thinking that 5 TO maps is just about all you need in rotation; what 5 would you suggest are the most bug free?

• These are the ones I am running on our server. I might add a few more but I mix them up with the regular maps. There are a few more that I need to test though. I think there are a few of the duel maps that were converted to TD/FFA might be pretty good. I only have 24 player slots so I prefer the smaller maps. Did you see my comprehensive custom map list? http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/17435-Comprehensive-Custom-Map-list

AOCTO-Bailey_p
    AOCFFA-CaveHideout2_p
    AOCLTS-CaveHideout2_p
    AOCTD-CaveHideout2_p
    AOCTO-siege7-1
    AOCFFA-Chamber_p
    AOCLTS-Dungeon_P

• Thanks Rets.

Yeah; I did see the comprehensive custom map list, thanks for that. Currently, I’m trying to work out what people want to play and I have a hunch that 4 or 5 TO maps in rotation is probably about right. I’m thinking, any less and it’s really repetitive, any more and they would be waiting ages for their favorite maps.

That said; it’s really hard to know what people want, our Mixed Modes server is always full these days whereas the pure TO server isn’t - so what do I know?

Currently; we are hosting a lot of the Chivaly Duelzors Cup matches so that’s taking up a few servers. When that’s finished (probably early January) I’m thinking about three custom map servers with 4 -5 maps each. So I’m looking for maps that work well and kind of tie in together….meh… I haven’t explained that very well… eg. there is a siege map, so I’d follow that with a map that’s based inside a castle etc etc.

In the meantime, what 4 or 5 custom TO maps would you suggest?

• Siege is good and so is bailey. Blue hour only has one objective and is really luck based. If the masons get to the top agatha is screwed. If the masons don’t get to the top then its a really tedious cycle of running up hat damn hill for ages only to get shot by the ten archers then get stabbed by the many spears and pole arms people tend to use. Urscogen is an interesting one weird way of installing and I didn’t play it for long so I don’t know if it works for all objectives. Death Valley and malric manor don’t work so don’t even try. I’ve never tried helms deep but I heard it was good. Big pay load works and its kinda like the double payload maps on TF2 haven’t played that in years so i don’t know what the game mode is actually called.

And those are the TO maps I know about. I Also may of not played the latest version.

Siege works
    Bailey works
    Bluehour works
    Big payload works
    Urscogen probably works
    Helms deep probably works
    Malric manor doesn’t work
    Death Valley doesn’t work.

Keep a look out for updates on the last two maps. Especially Death Valley that looks really promising. Though I suppose it was made by Lucas a TBS developer. So is bailey and citadel throne room, really good FFA map that one. Sorta cheating a little bit there torn banner. Then again he does it in his spare time.

• Probably the biggest thing which is killing the new maps is that whenever you go to a server unless you have all the maps in their rotation, it will always ask you to download them (if you have the map the server is on, if you click cancel it lets you join). What they should have done instead was ask you to download the current map, so you pick and choose what you want to download like COD 4

This will also decrease the download time, as a result people wont see the big files and wont be scared off.

• Thank you people; we will try Bailey, Siege, Blue Hour and Big Payload in rotation and see how we get on.

• @PandaChef:

Probably the biggest thing which is killing the new maps is that whenever you go to a server unless you have all the maps in their rotation, it will always ask you to download them (if you have the map the server is on, if you click cancel it lets you join). What they should have done instead was ask you to download the current map, so you pick and choose what you want to download like COD 4

This will also decrease the download time, as a result people wont see the big files and wont be scared off.

Oh is that why the download is so fucking big.

Even with my fast internet I give up on downloading 1 TB of map files.

• I am not a fan of blue hour because spawn locations are horrible, the door gets glitched, the lighting in the tower is horrible and the ramps/stairs are too narrow. It is pretty but a big waste of space and lot of places to get stuck in.

• Great to hear people are actually playing these maps. every time I check there’s nobody on. Motivates me to make more changes and fix the broken ladder on Siege (note that the whilst the ladder is glitchy all the objectives work fine).

• Almost had an epileptic fit when I jumped onto the siege ladder Zob. :excitement:

• @DokB:

Almost had an epileptic fit when I jumped onto the siege ladder Zob. :excitement:

Sorry mate, I haven’t been playing Chivalry much so hadn’t got around to that hotfix yet.