How am I supposed to be playing this?

• I’m obviously not playing the game right because I keep losing all these duels.

It seems that everyone else has memorized a lot of special moves that look a lot like exploits or glitches. Is that what I’m supposed to do if I want to get better at this game?

• The best way to get better at the game is dueling on clan duel servers. Look for servers that say “clan Duels”. It should be a FFA on Moor. Most clan players are willing to train and offer tips to new players. If you live in NA I would suggest Ineritus Duels, The Three Hander Duels, and Lg Duels. If you’re in EU KnH Classic Duels is one I know of, there’s probably others though. If you live in AUS The Resurrection Duel server I hear is also good.

• @Praslek2:

I’m obviously not playing the game right because I keep losing all these duels.

It seems that everyone else has memorized a lot of special moves that look a lot like exploits or glitches. Is that what I’m supposed to do if I want to get better at this game?

It is not something you can learn very quickly, since weapons have different length, speed, animations it takes hundreds of hours before you can reflexively adjust your block positioning and timing to win duels against a good player. Then throw in acceleration, drags, feints and you have a whole new level of play.

As Flippy said find an old school duel server, declare yourself a noob and get a mentor.

Might help if you say you are a hot college girl.

• Unless you are duelling with a friend who changes his style up, I would honestly recommend LTS or TO over duel mode if you are fairly new to this game. You’ll experience all sorts of weapons and play styles where you can learn from a wider source instead of a singular opponent in duel mode who will more than likely just use the same weapons. Might feel a bit like a cluster fuck at first but trial by fire is the best method of learning this games mechanics quickly in my opinion, even if you get slain a hundred times over, if you learn from them then you will get better.

• What DokB said, basically.
    In team modes, it’s usually the easier and more fun way to get a good feel for the mechanics, which will come essential when playing on higher level.

• Don’t forget FFA mode.

In FFA you wont get the detailed 1v1 fights of Duel mode, you will however quickly pick up weapon speeds/lengths and various strategies people use. You’ll also get cheeky kills on people not even looking at you. When you die, you respawn and get right back into the action within 5-20 seconds. It’s a good place to just practice random stuff.

After you are comfortable with the controls, have a vague idea of weapon speeds/reaches then head to Duel servers were you will learn to parry/block much more precisely. Then after you are decent enough with defending yourself, start learning how to hit people with cheeky stabs around shields and whatnot.

• #0 join a free for all server with good ping and between 10-20 players (no more)
    #1 pick vanguard
    #2 use default setup (greatsword)
    #3 attack players and learn to combo into a stab which you will do constantly whether or not you are facing an opponent, because you will do it and move your mouse 180 degrees to stab the loser trying to hit you in the back.
    #4 $$$

k, so the idea is the greatsword is a mix of slow and fast and powerful. keep it swinging, and be wary the jerks behind you. I can’t tell you how many kills I’ve gotten by killing someone in front of me with a overhead and comboing into a stab which I use to kill someone else nearby. greatsword stab is fucking OP as shit because it takes like 5 seconds to go away.

After you start doing good with this you should try other classes/weapons out. TIll then you suck at chiv and other classes/weapons won’t help. good luck

• ^^ Dude has a point, in FFA the ‘Other’ guy you are not fighting is your best target. Soooooooooo many kills from using the parry from guy A’s attack riposte into the Guy B who thinks I’m an easy kill.
    Always assume that the guy behind you is coming in for the attack, they almost always do. So combo into his unsuspecting arse.

• @Crum1y:

#0 join a free for all server with good ping and between 10-20 players (no more)
    #1 pick vanguard
    #2 use default setup (greatsword)
    #3 attack players and learn to combo into a stab which you will do constantly whether or not you are facing an opponent, because you will do it and move your mouse 180 degrees to stab the loser trying to hit you in the back.
    #4 $$$

k, so the idea is the greatsword is a mix of slow and fast and powerful. keep it swinging, and be wary the jerks behind you. I can’t tell you how many kills I’ve gotten by killing someone in front of me with a overhead and comboing into a stab which I use to kill someone else nearby. greatsword stab is fucking OP as shit because it takes like 5 seconds to go away.

After you start doing good with this you should try other classes/weapons out. TIll then you suck at chiv and other classes/weapons won’t help. good luck

TB!? Why U No Have +1 Button?

• @Praslek2:

Is that what I’m supposed to do if I want to get better at this game?

No. But if you want to get better you are supposed to know how to counter those.

First you need to know you weapon - Greatsword is a good choice for a beginner as mentioned above. Try to get a feeling for your reach and attacks. You want to know whether you can hit your enemy even when he is moving. You also want to improve your parrying. Thats timing (just in time - your enemy must not be able to feint because he can see your parry), aiming (turning to the tip of the weapon - careful with stabs!) and avoiding panic parry (drains your stamina in seconds). Stay on the aggressive side - you want to attack at least once for each of your opponents attacks and either hit him or force a parry. Finally: Keep the right distance. Facehugging is high risk/high reward and will favor people who are using a lot of tricks. Distance gives you more time to react and read your opponent. And keeping the distance that favors you over your enemy is one of the harder things to do.

THEN you should start dueling. :friendly_wink:

• @Praslek2:

exploits or glitches

/10characters

• @Praslek2:

exploits or glitches

Trails’n’tears. You have to have your ass kicked at first, no way around it. All the advices here are good in theory but the thing is you need to figure things out on your own - what works and what doesn’t. All comes with experience.

One tip though - don’t play archer.

Ah and I’d avoid FFA at first (well, I don’t play it at all) unless you are able to eliminate ppl quickly and can manage backstabbers, teamers and multiple enemies at once.

• Quick tip, if you are going to start with the greatsword, stick with it even after you unlock the claymore. Claymore will teach you bad habits if you haven’t got a firm grasp on the mechanics.

• You are correct, OP, you have to learn all the special little exploits or you simply can’t compete. So have fun having your moveset reduced to a formula of exploitation if you want to get good.

• Sorry for late reply OP

One tip though - don’t play archer.

I would have to disagree with this.

I started this game in the duel mode january patch, started dueling at rank 4. My idea was, what is everyone playing? I want to be different. So i started playing archer for my first 3000 duels.

As an archer, you are at a disadvantage at melee compared to the other classes (range, no dodge, tankiness). It really forces you to learn how to keep up in your melee quickly, especially since you’ll most likely not be very accurate with your bows early on, and it will also force you to learn to deal with feinters quicker.

It also forces you to learn how to fight shield users a lot faster, since shields make landing bow shots considerably more difficult and end up with them taking less damage (having to shoot them in the foot, unless you go for those over the shield headshots like a man).

But you can do whatever you want, I’m sure the path you take will get you to where you want. Just be sure to ignore all the feint whiners, or toxic exploit crybabies as you keep learning.

• Global Moderator

Pfft disadvantage in melee. Archer’s in melee have the biggest advantage.

Everyone thinks you are an easy target. That’s your main advantage.

• Yeah I’m always wary of the archer that DOESN’T attack as soon as your in range and steps about just out of your range, they are the dangerous ones. I love the ones that lunge straight away ;D They usually die within 5 seconds.

• @Toll:

Yeah I’m always wary of the archer that DOESN’T attack as soon as your in range and steps about just out of your range, they are the dangerous ones.

They are the ones getting feinted like b*itches. I hardly ever feint, though I feint archers like crazy, feels good.

• Yeah, that is generally my solution to them. Gota mix it up though.