Frame rate drops in the middle of the game

• Hi all, I’m new to this forum, and I made an account because of this problem. I recently bought Chivalry during the sale, and for the most part, it’s been a blast playing it. However, I’ve noticed that even with the game on medium/low settings, I experience frequent framerate drops. I’ve found that the drop varies in severity depending on how many people are in the game. If I’m in a duel match with 4-5 people, my framerate starts at around 60 for the first 5 minutes, then drops to about 30 at times. However, if I join a team objective match with about 32 people, I start off at 60 for the first 5 minutes, including minutes in combat, but then drop to about 5-10 fps for the rest of the match. I don’t think it’s my computer specs that’s causing the problem, and I’ve already tried the texture compressing method. If anyone could help me out with this, that’d be awesome.

My specs:

Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
    6GB RAM
    DirectX 11
    Display 1: Intel® HD Graphics Family
    Display 2: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M

I have also gone to the NVIDIA control panel and forced Chivalry to start the program by using the NVIDIA card instead of the Intel card. It showed some improvement, but not much.

• Sounds like your computer’s hardware is becoming very hot after a short while of playing. When your hardware becomes too hot it can dramatically reduce performance. Are you on a laptop? Or what kind of cooling system do you have if you’re on a desktop?

• Oh, I didn’t think about that. Yes, I’m using a Lenovo Y570 laptop. I use a stand for it that puts the laptop at a right angle, so the laptop doesn’t heat up as quickly. When I play the game, it does get hot, but it’s about the same for other games, like League of Legends. I’d say that the keys do get a little warm after an hour or so.

• If all else fails then something like a trace from perfmon when the game is running will let you know what the computer is getting up to when the framerates occur, it could be something silly like scheduled AV or search indexing

• Ok, I’ll go try perfmon out when I can. As for the heating problem, I guess I’ll just put a fan next to my laptop when I’m playing next time?

• @tohnado:

Ok, I’ll go try perfmon out when I can. As for the heating problem, I guess I’ll just put a fan next to my laptop when I’m playing next time?

If you’re on a laptop then you’ll always have heat problems. But there are measures you can take to try to cool it down. http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/19/10-ways-to-cool-down-your-laptop/?_r=0