Deadliest Warrior vs Medieval Warfare

• Why did they try to reinvent the wheel?

Is it just me, or does MW seem to have grossly superior production values? MW animations, pacing, and sound seem much smoother than DW. Deadliest warrior appears to be much choppier as a whole, as if they’ve added fewer frames for the combat. Whereas Medieval warfare combat seems to flow much more intuitively.

I’m struggling to understand why they felt it necessary to change the fundamentals of combat. Why make it faster in DW, when the pacing was pretty spot on in MW? Either the overall speed has made it seem to be choppier, or they physically altered the animation frames.

There’s also a glaring difference in stamina drain. In MW spamming attacks is punishable by running out of stamina, and while you can run out of stamina in DW, it just doesn’t seem as detrimental. Thereby promoting a much less punishable spam based pace in DW than in MW. It detracts from the strategical element present in MW, and replaces it with a larger element of luck.

It’s a shame, I really like the idea of DW, and enjoy the class diversity, but the actual game play is forcing me back to MW. You could argue that they created two different games just for that reason, but it seems silly to me to split the community between two titles so closely linked.

I don’t think I’m alone in saying this might have been better served as an expansion to the current code, as opposed to another game entirely.

• As a shield user… Shield stun in CMW was the worst thing to ever happen…DW is a far superior game for a duelist that hates 2 handed knights in CMW.

• @trooper:

As a shield user… Shield stun in CMW was the worst thing to ever happen…DW is a far superior game for a duelist that hates 2 handed knights in CMW.

Oh I definitely agree that there are some great things about DW. Which is the reason i care enough to speak out about it. If the game was complete garbage, I would just uninstall and not look back. There are some weapon improvements in DW, some great classes, and some utility that I think is an overall improvement. See: health regen out of combat, throwing system, etc. In fact, most of my time spent in chivalry as a whole is dueling, so i’m well aware of the imperfections that exist. My point though is, they could have melded the good things about both games into one game, as opposed to creating new problems by forgetting about the things that they did right the first time around.

• I like DW as a game, by itself. I think it’s unfair to try to compare it to MW as TB clearly intended for it to be a completely separate game. I think the whole spaminess people berate it for is just because it’s a bunch of newbs and casuals who’re playing it. You can become a much better player if you actually try. I’ve gotten ridiculous scores before, without spamming.

• I agree that it feels like DW has worse production value, and overall I’d say that MW is the better game.
    However, when I play DW, I feel like I’m playing some kind of and Unreal Tournament with the Chivalry’s melee fighting. Some fights I’ve had in DW, like Ninja vs. Ninja against a really good player are simply amazing.

Like Flippy said, you shouldn’t really think of DW as a sequel, or something.

• @trooper:

As a shield user… Shield stun in CMW was the worst thing to ever happen…DW is a far superior game for a duelist that hates 2 handed knights in CMW.

I can’t disagree more. If there were no shield stun, you could just block all day with shields and not worry about a thing. I can get around the shields without kicks but so can a good player use shield to where they block drags. So you could forget about timing and just aim your shield and block, thats very fair… To everyone who is about to say that you cant riposte with shields, you attack faster with shields. Take those faster attacks and combine them with fast one handed weapons and it makes up for no riposte while also giving you better defense.
    As for dw being less polished, I do agree. The depth of combat is reduced compare to mw.

• @Sciffer:

I can’t disagree more. If there were no shield stun, you could just block all day with shields and not worry about a thing. I can get around the shields without kicks but so can a good player use shield to where they block drags. So you could forget about timing and just aim your shield and block, thats very fair… To everyone who is about to say that you cant riposte with shields, you attack faster with shields. Take those faster attacks and combine them with fast one handed weapons and it makes up for no riposte while also giving you better defense.
    As for dw being less polished, I do agree. The depth of combat is reduced compare to mw.

Agreed. Without shield kicks it would be turtle city. Combine that with the reduced importance on stamina management in DW, and you’d have a big problem. DW, aside from its merits, feels very rushed as far as quality is concerned.

• DW seems to have pretty decent balance, and a decent skill ceiling compared to MW, but I love just playing music and running around slaughtering 10, 20 people before I die. It’s the best. You could do it in MW, and it was incredibly satisfying, but pub-stomping is even better in DW in my opinion. Something about a Spartan with all the gear on or some pissed off Viking throwing things and being unstoppable is like fantasy football for Chivalry; something that we never thought we’d see, but always kinda wanted. People asked for dual-wielding and beards, other people asked for a Samurai mod, and TBS said fuck it and did it all. But I have to ask, where are all the bears at? Ridable, playable, whatever, just add em in bro. This is a polarizing issue for the community.

• @Oy:

DW seems to have pretty decent balance, and a decent skill ceiling compared to MW, but I love just playing music and running around slaughtering 10, 20 people before I die. It’s the best. You could do it in MW, and it was incredibly satisfying, but pub-stomping is even better in DW in my opinion. Something about a Spartan with all the gear on or some pissed off Viking throwing things and being unstoppable is like fantasy football for Chivalry; something that we never thought we’d see, but always kinda wanted. People asked for dual-wielding and beards, other people asked for a Samurai mod, and TBS said fuck it and did it all. But I have to ask, where are all the bears at? Ridable, playable, whatever, just add em in bro. This is a polarizing issue for the community.

All the stuff you mentioned is awesome. What’s not so awesome is the distinct different feel in the game play mechanics. What if they added all these things to MW, and kept the smooth game play. Do we really need a faster pace, with choppy animations to enjoy beards?

• @scy22:

All the stuff you mentioned is awesome. What’s not so awesome is the distinct different feel in the game play mechanics. What if they added all these things to MW, and kept the smooth game play. Do we really need a faster pace, with choppy animations to enjoy beards?

My theory is that MW was their “fuck it this is our last chance” maneuver, and it got them a new studio. Then, DW was their “fuck it, let’s throw our new man-power and resources into an experiment and see what we can do” plan b. I’m expecting the best of both worlds next time around, third time’s the charm. If they fuck up Chivalry 2 or decide to make some pixel indie game, I’m out of here lol. Then again, I could be wrong about the whole thing, I am baked after all.