Endless Downloads - Steam Workshop Woes

• I have literally downloaded every single map there is in the steam workshop as of today (16th Dec 2013) and yet it still asks me to download something every fucking time I try to go onto a custom server. I have let the download play out fully just to make sure, several times even where it always tries to get me to download 200mb of something.

I now accept and then cancel the download every time which gets me into the game after a few accept/cancel attempts but do I really have to go through this every FUCKING time I want to join a custom server?

Is there no end in sight? I want to get off this wild ride.

• Global Moderator

Well, that server hasn’t been updated for a while. So if the steam workshop version of the map updates then it will be a different version from the server.

• I am beginning to see that Lemon is TBS’s excuse posting machine. Clearly there is something wrong then that over simplification if you are being forced to download files even when joining a server that has a standard map running. I cannot tell you how many times I join an official map server and still have to download something. It actually doesnt matter if it is official or a clan server. But al,most every time I join a server I end up downloading something pr or it asks be to download something to join. Something is broken. Hope it gets fixed.

• Global Moderator

This is not an official server genius. This is a GON server with custom maps that hasn’t been updated in a while the only one in the oceanic region (dokb isn’t actually in Zimbabwe) so it you are subscribed to the workshop version of the maps it will redownload the whole map again because its a slightly older version on the server.

Torn banner decided to make you download the maps all at once. Which would have been fine of it wasn’t so slow. 0.4 megabytes a second and pretty much everyone gets that speed. Should be 1.4 for me. And it is when over them off the workshop.

• This is probably my fault since I haven’t updated that server recently. The problem is that server doesn’t have a steam ID and therefore I can’t just use the workshop user tool to auto update every time someone updates their map. The problem you’re having dokb is that you are too up to date nd the server maps are behind so you’re having to auto-download the older versions of the map every time you join (I think).

• Global Moderator

I un-subcribed to a lot of maps and deleted them properly and it fixed my problem. I had to redownload all of them again but only once. Now every time I join I’m not prompted to download anything any more.

• So I’m either not up to date because I don’t have the exact map version which I have no way of checking and now this where I am too far ahead?

Maybe some way to check map versions in server details so people don’t have to jump through all these hoops as well as server owners not having to always update as soon as possible.

I presume then Kimiko’s custom server is up to date because I sometimes use that to join off to see whether I need to download still but I always need to download something, no matter what custom server I join.

• wow I totally forgot that Lemon knows all. My apologies. Kimiko tries and keeps her server files up to date but that can be a daily battle. It is too bad that Steam Workshop doesnt have it set up to upload to the servers or there should be like two days a week for uploading or something. I am still not sure why an official server would be any different than a hosted rented server. I understand if one is hosting custom maps and an official one is not. But like I said. It seems no matter what server I join, even if it is a regular map, I am getting the download file question when I shouldn’t be. If I am subscribed to the maps on Steam, they auto download in Steam. So why are they downloading again while I am in game, joining a server?

• Global Moderator

Unsubscribe and delete all map content and you won’t have this problem. It will download it once then and there and not download it a million more times.

• This post is deleted!

• @DokB:

I have literally downloaded every single map there is in the steam workshop as of today (16th Dec 2013) and yet it still asks me to download something every fucking time I try to go onto a custom server. I have let the download play out fully just to make sure, several times even where it always tries to get me to download 200mb of something.

I now accept and then cancel the download every time which gets me into the game after a few accept/cancel attempts but do I really have to go through this every FUCKING time I want to join a custom server?

Is there no end in sight? I want to get off this wild ride.

Whole thing is broken and useless? TB completely screwed it up thats why no new maps servers have anyone it apart from the one map rotation duel ones.

• I also noted an increase in updating even though no custom maps are on my pc.
    when login onto steam chivalry updates, after exiting a game it updates again hehe.
    yes you guessed it all happens again on next login of steam. I am dreading the one that
    simply resets my config as they used to.