Why does blocking sometimes not work?

• Hey everyone,

I am new to the game but a mount and blade player and played all day yesterday. I really enjoyed it, the game is pure awesome and I love it.

On thing though that concerned me is that sometimes blocking (even with the shield) does not work. It’s not very often and I could not tell why it happens when it happens. I only used the big huge knight shield because with the smaller shields I figured out that you give the enemy quite some bodyparts left to strike at. This happened with many enemy weapons while I really stood in front of the enemy and held the shield up (at least the animation showed me that my shield was up) - and still I got hit and killed.

Why could that be? Are there some unblockable attacks? Are some weapons unblockable?

• Wish I knew. As far as I can tell, alot of clipping goes on.

• I think it only takes a tiny second of lag to screw up the timings of stuff like this.

• Developer

The thing with our blocking system is that you have to look in the direction of the attack, it is possible to get around shields. Sometimes when you just barely manage to get around the shield it can look like it goes through it a little bit, that’s most likely what you’re experiencing.

• Hm, that could be. But in many of these cases I am pretty sure I faced my opponent directly. The thing is, that every time I die that way it is very frustrating because I feel that I did everything right and still die. If there is any way to prevent these strange deaths it would remove the anger and outrage I always feel when it happens 8-)

• Also I’ve noticed what might/might not be an actual issue with the shields.

For instance:

1. Someone is about to hit you
    2. Holding right mouse button to raise the shield
    3. Too late, you get hit! still holding RMB
    4. Incoming backswing
    5. At this point it seems the shield won’t raise if you’re still holding RMB. You have to click RMB again which I tend to notice way too late, leading to 1) - 3) all over again and ultimately death

Is this by design?

• Also, how come sometimes after I swing(Left click), then I hold my right mouse button to raise my shield, it doesn’t and I have to release it 2-3 times to bring my shield up. What’s up with that? It’s gotten me killed several times.

• I discovered that, too.

I think sometimes it’s because the enemy’s weapon is too close to your player model so that the effective defending angle is so high that you’d have to look far more in the direction the weapon comes from than you’d normally do.

I’m playing in 3rd person so I can tell that by the looks of it I would have blocked certain attacks but still I didn’t. Imo there’s still something to tweak about blocking.

• @Sturmhardt:

Hm, that could be. But in many of these cases I am pretty sure I faced my opponent directly. The thing is, that every time I die that way it is very frustrating because I feel that I did everything right and still die. If there is any way to prevent these strange deaths it would remove the anger and outrage I always feel when it happens 8-)

Face the shield toward the business end of the weapon, not the player. The larger weapons are easy to get around shields if the person is just turtled up looking at you.

And yes, if you are struck you need to reapply the block. This is not m&b, you are not invincible with a shield up. :)

• Let’s also not forget the slight lag that is intrinsic in all internet multiplayer. If you play first person shooters you know about it all too well. Those time when you turn a corner and get shot anyway, because even though you made the turn on your screen on the enemies client you body could have been peaking out slightly. So in this case he hit you during that like couple millisecond delay where you pressed the block but it didn’t reach him in time.

• Developer

We’ve also made adjustments to the hit indicator that will be hopefully make it more noticeable where on your body you’re being hit, the thought being that it’ll make it more obvious why your block failed.

• @DarkWarrior:

Let’s also not forget the slight lag that is intrinsic in all internet multiplayer. If you play first person shooters you know about it all too well. Those time when you turn a corner and get shot anyway, because even though you made the turn on your screen on the enemies client you body could have been peaking out slightly. So in this case he hit you during that like couple millisecond delay where you pressed the block but it didn’t reach him in time.

I would go with this explanation if there was the same issue in M&B which there is not. :P

• @Siegbert:

I would go with this explanation if there was the same issue in M&B which there is not. :P

There is if you’ve ever been running away from projectiles. Though I don’t notice it much either in M&B, then again it’s less about moving the hit box and more about matching the side of the incoming attack.

This of course doesn’t explain the majority of cases but it can explain a few instances.

• M&b is not as dynamic as this, this has way more detail, you can miss someone because you stabbed between his armpit, m&b was more generic.

So, more detail, more chance for things to go wrong.