Heroes are dressed in Fps.

• I must say after playing on that First person only server that it was a much better quality of game
    and players.

Infact at various points I lead the leaderboard.
    You actually can see the true skill of players you fight
    in combat. Sense a depthness to players relaxing,
    knowing its a First person utopia as the whole game
    should have been tbh.

Why do we even have a 3rd person option I ask?
    it is obvious to me that in a T/O server with
    mixed perspectives the 3rd person players get away
    with murder and have it to easy lacking any skill
    depth.

Ban 3rd person completely you know you want to.
    When buying computer games if I even see a mention
    of 3rd person in the description it goes back on
    the self in disgust.

KickStarter Quotes
    Besiege castles and raid villages in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, a
    fast-paced medieval FPS (Slasher with a Multi-player online focus)

CHIVALRY: Medieval Warfare is a first-person slasher with a focus
    on multi-player. Featuring competitive online combat that seeks to
    capture the experience of truly being on a medieval battlefield.
    We’ve drawn our inspiration from the intensity and epicness of swordfighting
    movies such as 300, Gladiator and Braveheart and we want to bring that experience
    to the hands of a gamer.

The game is skill-based and controls like a FPS, but instead of guns
    and grenades, players are given swords, shields, maces, battleaxes and
    longbows. Set in a fictional yet gritty and realistic world, players will
    fight in fast paced online battles besieging castles, raiding medieval
    villages and fighting for glory in the arena with up to 32 players

Were in that does it say 3rd person? TB.
    Remember us the Slobs at kickstarter tibby?:chuncky:

• They said something about it being part of the engine. 3rd person was already all there and done for them all they had to do was add it to the game. I think they wanted to cater for a larger audience. Not fully realising the implications of 3rd person.

Down here about 30% of the servers are restricted to 1st person only. About 50% of TO servers and the majority of 32 player TO servers.

• It must be the bug that got away for now grumbles

• Is this some sort of poem that you have to cut the line off after 7 words?

• I would like to see more 1st person only servers, and I would like to see 3rd person have a FoV cap.

• @SOC:

I would like to see more 1st person only servers, and I would like to see 3rd person have a FoV cap.

Agreed. 3rd person for this type of game is one of the biggest mistakes in this game. This and crosshairs.

• @HammerSword:

Agreed. 3rd person for this type of game is one of the biggest mistakes in this game. This and crosshairs.

I think it’s good to have the option available to those who want to use it. I personally feel third person limits how you play. You can’t judge weapon lengths as accurately in third person and you’ll get sneaky stabbed/overhead much more than you would in first person.

I always thought there was a FoV cap on 3rd person view. It would make sense, don’t want people being able to see so much around them. If you have a really far out FoV in 3rd, does it even really give that much of an advantage?

I disagree on crosshairs however, I think they are good to have, especially the melee crosshairs which offer a good indictor for stab drags and precision overheads.

• OP is 100% right, no if’s or buts.
    People using 3rd person are only doing it to exploit the mechanics of the game.
    Player intractions are much less enjoyable when 3rd person view players are present.
    3rd person view FTL TBS.

• Talking to people who play in 3rd person predominantly you’ll find that they generally play on a lower FOV anyway, otherwise they can’t parry anything. Also having your body blocking your view makes reading stabs a bit of a chore, so it’s only really useful in the slashfest that is free-weekend chiv.

• @DokB:

I think it’s good to have the option available to those who want to use it. I personally feel third person limits how you play. You can’t judge weapon lengths as accurately in third person and you’ll get sneaky stabbed/overhead much more than you would in first person. I always thought there was a FoV cap on 3rd person view. It would make sense, don’t want people being able to see so much around them. If you have a really far out FoV in 3rd, does it even really give that much of an advantage? I disagree on crosshairs however, I think they are good to have, especially the melee crosshairs which offer a good indictor for stab drags and precision overheads.

Clearly you never played Age of Chivalry but I do agree with you on the FOV cap. Not having crosshairs forced you to actually learn each weapon even more so because each weapon hit was at a different location of the screen. This is exceptionally true with archers where you were actually forced to use the tip of the arrow and the bow itself. Add this to 1st person only and you have a skill based game where you have to have situational awareness…. But I guess that would be too hard… I know right?

• You’re correct, I never played AoC. But you’re missing the point I’m trying to make, I’m saying it’s good to have the option of a crosshair with weapons and you’ll find most high ranking people don’t go out of their way to use it. Everyone knows where their weapon is going to go when they attack, the crosshair is just a nice little insurance to have.

The thing I probably use the crosshair for mostly is chasing people and that’s it.

• Can’t lmb hero in first person.

• @DokB:

You’re correct, I never played AoC. But you’re missing the point I’m trying to make, I’m saying it’s good to have the option of a crosshair with weapons and you’ll find most high ranking people don’t go out of their way to use it. Everyone knows where their weapon is going to go when they attack, the crosshair is just a nice little insurance to have. The thing I probably use the crosshair for mostly is chasing people and that’s it.

I am not missing your point at all. I am telling you which is better because I have played both. Since you have never played AOC then you really have nothing to compare it against. Most everyone that has played AOC will tell you that both crosshairs and 3rd person was totally unnecessary. If you really think everyone knows where their weapon is going to hit then why have crosshairs? You defeat your own point. Just turn off crosshairs and play. Better yet, DL AOC and play it for a few weeks and tell me which is more fun. Granted the hit detection is not as good but as far as 1st person melee and needing to learn each weapon hits on the screen is truly skill based. Crosshairs are again noob friendly, no skill.

• Crosshairs are pretty much useless unless as DokB stated, you’re using them to chase people down or trying to find archers in bushes haha. I’d say they were brought in to be “noob friendly” on purpose, new players generally need all the help they can get. Once you get a feel for the game though the tiny little dot in the middle of your screen becomes irrelevant.

• Would be nice to have a server side setting to turn off crosshairs for the more hardcore end of the player base.

as for the perspective, I only play in 1st person and given the choice I’d rather force my servers into this mode to hinder some of the grey area techniques like floor sniffing overheads. That being said the server rules in my clan are decided by majority vote and both my internal clan vote and a public vote (for comparison) both voted in favour of keeping 3rd perspective on

• @HammerSword:

I am not missing your point at all. I am telling you which is better because I have played both. Since you have never played AOC then you really have nothing to compare it against. Most everyone that has played AOC will tell you that both crosshairs and 3rd person was totally unnecessary. If you really think everyone knows where their weapon is going to hit then why have crosshairs? You defeat your own point. Just turn off crosshairs and play. Better yet, DL AOC and play it for a few weeks and tell me which is more fun. Granted the hit detection is not as good but as far as 1st person melee and needing to learn each weapon hits on the screen is truly skill based. Crosshairs are again noob friendly, no skill.

Why remove them if they don’t have much impact in game? That’s the difference between noob friendly and making a game more difficult for difficulties sake. Nor have I ever seen anyone correlate the use of crosshair to being skilful. It’s handy to have and that is that.

While the crosshair doesn’t have much impact when two people are fighting against each other, it has a number of different game mechanics tied to it. Chase mechanic, differentiating between friendly/enemy, all these mechanics require the crosshair. Removing crosshairs just so you can feel slightly more accomplished is silly, I am arguing that it is nice to have the option there for all kinds of players, from new players to experienced players. Toggle it on or off, it’s good to have choice in these sorts of things.

Removing the crosshair all together from the game is a step backwards. This is the sort of thing you might recommend for a mod like Chiv+ where it auto-disables the crosshair for people.

EDIT: Sorry if I’m sounding presumptious but when I hear you say that the crosshair is one of the biggest mistakes in the game, it makes me think that you’d want to removed entirely. Sorry if that’s not the case.

• You are correct, I would want both the crosshair and 3rd persion removed from game. In addition to a few other things that were dropped from AOC to Chiv or added as a feature were big mistakes and really took away from the skill level and enjoyment of things that you could do in AOC that you cannot do in Chiv. It is not a step back so much as it was more of a “hey wouldn’t it be cool if……” and as usual, it wasn’t all that cool.

• @DokB:

I think it’s good to have the option available to those who want to use it. I personally feel third person limits how you play. You can’t judge weapon lengths as accurately in third person and you’ll get sneaky stabbed/overhead much more than you would in first person.

I always thought there was a FoV cap on 3rd person view. It would make sense, don’t want people being able to see so much around them. If you have a really far out FoV in 3rd, does it even really give that much of an advantage?

This, I play 3rd and this is all true. Having a high FOV is a trade off, you can see more around you but your awareness of what’s going on directly in front of you is less. Third person is not all cherries and rose blossoms so stop whining.

• As a Fps Player from way back on computers and consoles one simply can not understand this 3rd person
    rubbish in Fps games Gref. Regardless if its not all cherries and rose blossoms, it does not belong in a Fps game were the majority are in fact in another perspective. I tried final fantasy? ps2 version and that was very good a game made for 3rd person no doubt. Basically is playing in 3rd person because you 3rd person junkies lack skill to actually put effort into a game learning to play it in Fps as was intended? Can you imagine Defrag or Quake3 in 3rd person hehe. You don’t see that because they have respect for the game and its players.

• 3rd person

• situational awareness
    • much easier to combo switch targets when surrounded
    • running around as a vanguard pretending to be a helicopter never been easier
    • harder to block, especially faster, shorter weapons
    • as you tend to look down slightly, blocking an OH can be tricky
    • in huge disadvantage when facehugged