Thoughts on billhook

• I’ve been playing a lot with the Billhook lately, and would like to share my opinions on it, as well as hearing yours on it.

After using it a while, I found it a very good weapon, maybe even too good in some aspects. Lets start with the stab. You can kill new players and a lot of somewhat experienced players ( 20-30 ) just using the stab. Counter attacking into stab is one of the most viable attacks on billhook in my opinion. However, its perfectly fine and most players learn quickly when to block it. Where things get a bit wonky/op is if you start dragging stabs. Even good players can not reliable block those dragged stabs. However, that seems to be a problem a lot of weapons “suffer” from (SOW, Spear, Billhook just to name a few ). The stabs ARE blockable, but the skill required to perform them is low while it takes some block them. I don’t know if that problem has been discussed, and if there are any intentions from TBS to change something in that direction. Stab leads me into another problem: Stab->OH combo. Again, this seems to be more of an issue all polearms seem to have. I’ll describe it shortly for those who do not know what the problem is: Overhead on polearms is fast. Ridiculously fast. That alone is a big problem itself. Combine that overhead with a stab and you’ve got a kill on 70% of all non-knight players. I think that issue could be easily resolved by fixing the polearm fast overhead, and I think most of us do agree that fast overhead on polearms is broken. I don’t think polearms would lose a lot of their use if it got removed. Talking about overheads: The alt-overhead on billhook is another point I’d like to bring up: Delayed alt-overhead->delayed sideswing or into 180 sideswing ( is that a thing? I’m talking about turning the the swings hits almost instantly) is also really, really strong. Although it can be punished easily, I’m not sure what to think about it. Sometimes it seems to be to hard to read, sometimes it seems fine. It’s hard to tell because I very rarely fight vanguards who use delayed alt-overheads. Maybe some of you guys know more about that.
    Some people say that the weapon is to fast overall, but I disagree with that. It’s slower than greatsword and claymore ( correct me if I’m wrong ) as has a lot less reach/knockback than helbard. Combos with it are fast, but nowhere as fast as claymores and most hits are easy to read.

This is just how I felt while playing the billhook, maybe I am completely wrong, but if so, I would enjoy to be enlightened on how I was wrong.

• billhook is the vanguard version of sow, always said its one of the best van weapons yet not used often

• Fastest of the polearms, can 2 shot every class except the Knight. Very versatile, has a brutal stab attack when combined with feints makes it extremely dangerous. Can be dragged like a motherfucker, works like other polearms with look down overheads.

Only downside of it is the Billhook has the shortest reach of the polearms. Overall, a well balanced weapon that seems a bit underrated if anything. Not sure about its use in the comp scene, but I rate it highly. Very dangerous in the right hands.

• I’ve always done well when using it, but I just find it boring for some reason.

• What do you think: Would it still be good without lookdown overhead? As far as I can tell you guys seem to think its pretty balanced, and I think the same. But a lot of people keep complaining it’s op when I use it, and it got me wondering if it is…

• The only reason people might consider it slightly OP(which I don’t) is because the opponent barely plays it as a polearm.The billhook is faster and shorter than it’s counterparts, does pierce damage on the stab and I believe swing damage on it’s overhead and horizontal swing.It’s basically more or less a sword stats-wise.

• @Stuffy:

What do you think: Would it still be good without lookdown overhead? As far as I can tell you guys seem to think its pretty balanced, and I think the same. But a lot of people keep complaining it’s op when I use it, and it got me wondering if it is…

That just means they’re super mad you’re killing them with it. Even if it didn’t have the look down overhead, you’ve still got a great stab attack as well as a slightly quicker slash that catches people trying to get around you.

The only reason people might consider it slightly OP(which I don’t) is because the opponent barely plays it as a polearm.The billhook is faster and shorter than it’s counterparts, does pierce damage on the stab and I believe swing damage on it’s overhead and horizontal swing.It’s basically more or less a sword stats-wise.

Does “Chop” damage on slash/overhead and pierce on stab. It’s basically an axe with a powerful sword stab on it. Great combination in my opinion.

• Billhook is a wonderful weapon. I think the only reason people don’t use it more in comp play is simply because the Halberd.

• Bilhook is a hybrid between the Clay and Halberd imo (which are my 2 favourite weapons for a vang by the way). It 2shots every class but knights, it’s fast. Though it lacks the Halberd’s reach and in-your-face aggressiveness of Claymore.

I personally wouldn’t pick it over Clay (combo machine) or Halberd (reeeeeeach).

• It’s a great weapon, I used to only choose it when playing Van (before I went solely to random loadouts). The Alt overhead catches many high ranked players off-guard and the stab to overhead is perfect against anyone who isn’t paying much attention.
    I don’t think it needs any nerf imo, the lack of reach compared to the other weapons and a weak, predictable charge attack compensates for it.
    It does however still suffer from that rotten pole-arm hilt syndrome where you insta-hit at facehug range and that should have been fixed by now. By doing that, it would nerf the stab overhead combo perfectly.

• I main the Billhook because it’s the closest thing to a scythe in the game. I’d say it’s about the 7th best Van weapon. Tobiwan was a master with the Billhook and taught me some effective combos by mercilessly punishing me. Sigh … good times …

• Billhook is honestly probably one of the best balanced vanguard weapons. Its power feels just right for its length and speed.

• I agree with pretty much everything people have said, but i think it should be noted that while it has a relatively short range its stab can be deceptively long reaching!!!
    I’ve put maybe 120hrs into the polehammer (prior to its buff and nurf), i generally get wrecked by a good bilhook player.

• @jrmftw:

It does however still suffer from that rotten pole-arm hilt syndrome where you insta-hit at facehug range and that should have been fixed by now. By doing that, it would nerf the stab overhead combo perfectly.

Agreed, I don’t think it makes sense, no matter how “hard” you hit someone with the hilt of your polearm that it should oneshot w/the same voracity as the bladed edge.

• I hate fighting against the billhook. But it’s beatable.

• The billhook is to fast imo, probably because it hits with air like the other polearms. But then again it’s not unbeatable.

• I agree with this,
    I have noticed that a good many of the bilhook attacks just seem to go straight through parry sometimes….
    Its frustrating dueling against someone you know has only a fraction of your skill and they still land a couple of hits just because the attacks have gone straight through parry…wtf