Why should I ever use 1st person view instead of 3rd person?

• Like topic says, I don’t really see why I should ever use more immersive, more detailed and beautiful 1st person view.

3rd person camera gives me better awareness, peaking around corner and shields never block my view.

Am I missing something here?

• You’re missing depth perception, accuracy and a proper sense of timing.

• I am sorry, but for me at least, this is not true. I can be more effective in 3rd person, but I am not enjoying it as much as 1st person view.

I feel that game should have only been 1st person… 3rd person gives so much advantage that I don’t see why anyone would want to use 1st person view.

• I have to agree. First person is the most fun, but the game is much easier from third person. I instantly get more kills from third person because it’s easier to surprise people around a corner and you have a better view of the battlefield. For archery it’s another story though. Well, after release the servers can be locked to first person perspective and I will probably only be playing on servers that do that.

• I’ve only used the 1st person view so far but I like that a 3rd person view is also available. Likewise with gamepad support, it’s always nice to have the freedom to play how you want.

• first i thought 3rd person was better aswell, but then i was aware of the fact that you can read your opponent much better in 1st person view. fov 100 helps aswell.

you just can read the attacks better, if he swings, if he stabs, if he’s blocking or feinting, which is very important to know in higher levels of play.

another advantage is that you can aim your throwing weapons much better and your stabs and attacks in general aswell, which is also very important.

ask the high-level guys who are leading the scoreboards in which perspective they play and you will most likely hear: 1st person.

• @Vyy:

first i thought 3rd person was better aswell, but then i was aware of the fact that you can read your opponent much better in 1st person view. fov 100 helps aswell.

you just can read the attacks better, if he swings, if he stabs, if he’s blocking or feinting, which is very important to know in higher levels of play.

another advantage is that you can aim your throwing weapons much better and your stabs and attacks in general aswell, which is also very important.

ask the high-level guys who are leading the scoreboards in which perspective they play and you will most likely hear: 1st person.

What you are saying is pretty much alright for 1vs1 situations, which make up for very little percentage of the whole game. Most likely you will be fighting in crowds and 3rd person will just give you better awareness and bigger field of view. Also, if you are claiming that most people use 1st person anyways, why not disable 3rd person view altogether? I would personally enjoy that decision very much.

I just can’t get over the fact that sometimes you are forced to use 3rd person view, for example when you take that big shield. In 1st person, while blocking with it, it covers 95% of the screen (like it should), but than you ask yourself, why should you bother being blind if you can just switch to 3rd person view and you can navigate around because nothing is blocking your view… Just makes no sense to me, and also breaks balance.

• I can’t stand 3rd person in this game. I do better in first person all around.

In third person, I feel like aiming is impossible, and I just can’t grasp any concept of range with my weapons when my body is blocking half of my view of the swing.

• I will myself go for 1st person only…
    Although I could not say which one offers more advantages in which situations (I myself find it balanced in the whole lot of situations the player comes to face), but I do prefer 1st person because of the immersion, the feelings that go out of it, for the fact that nothing blocks your sight to see what’s right in front of you (if I want to have awareness, I just turn the head).

• Hopefully most server will support 1st only. I still use 1st anyway, because like said above, gives you better timing and sense of distance to an opponent.

Everyone gets jumped, but if it is happening to you alot in 1st then your situational awareness is low and needs to be kept in mind.

• Make this a server-sided option, i agree that having the 3rd person advantage of peaking around corners is quite silly, altho in this game it doesn’t matter that much.

• Yes I’d hope competitive play bans 3rd person. First person has it’s advantages too, but essentially seeing around walls is a great tactical advantage.

• Developer

@heady89:

Make this a server-sided option, i agree that having the 3rd person advantage of peaking around corners is quite silly, altho in this game it doesn’t matter that much.

It is an option. We don’t have it set on any of our own currently, but server operators can do it if they choose by editing PerspectiveLock in the _Game.ini.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

@heady89:

Make this a server-sided option, i agree that having the 3rd person advantage of peaking around corners is quite silly, altho in this game it doesn’t matter that much.

It is an option. We don’t have it set on any of our own currently, but server operators can do it if they choose by editing PerspectiveLock in the _Game.ini.

That’s really good news. I hope AoC veteran admins will keep the 3rd person view disabled.

• I had never played in 3rd person until yesterday, and after just a couple maps of it I adjusted to the aiming enough that it was nothing but an advantage. So many of the tricks you can pull against someone playing in first person just don’t work in third. In third person behind a tower shield you are practically invulnerable.

• i find my self switching views constantly in games it depends on my needs and my mood :)

• @SlyGoat:

I had never played in 3rd person until yesterday, and after just a couple maps of it I adjusted to the aiming enough that it was nothing but an advantage. So many of the tricks you can pull against someone playing in first person just don’t work in third. In third person behind a tower shield you are practically invulnerable.

I do think there needs to be something, for as SlyGoat stated, hiding behind a shield in 3rd person does not seem to come at a high enough price.

• I kinda really enjoy the thirdperson since the animations and graphics on the models are really nice.

• I’m playing in 3rd person only.
    I don’t like 1st person in melee combat games. I feel it’s complicated and takes away my peripheral vision. Also I enjoy seeing my character perform the swings.

I have not yet experienced any disadvantages in 3rd person.

I hope it’ll not get banned on most servers as I really love it. If you don’t like it, don’t use it!

• When I first found out about 3rd person I kind of said the same thing. It felt more natural to me coming from warband, I have a much easier time judging my weapon timing, distance, and position from 3rd.

I tried 1st for a bit, and I find it more fun, easier to see attacks coming in front of you and is more immersive, but honestly I’m just not as effective, esp in a crowded battlefield.

Facehuggers are less of a problem in 3rd for me. Better peripherals, but I tested and fov 100+ gives you about the same amount of screen view.

I don’t find there is really that big a deal to see around corners, there aren’t many you need to see around, and honestly in a melee game it doesn’t matter so much, the foot steps are nice and loud and if your machine can afford the high detail shadows, you get all the warning you need for knowing there is someone there.

The shield thing I think is the only clean advantage on 3rd. Maybe they can add an overlay on the screen or something when you bring your shield up, not sure on the solution there.