Black Screen in Medieval Warfare

• My life sucks. I just downloaded today’s (12/16) update, and now I can’t see the game at all. I can see the overlay (text, crosshair), but everything else is black: no main menu background, and in-game I see nothing. I still hear sound though. HELP ;_;

Tried the following:
    Re-verifying game cache
    Uninstalled, reinstalled
    Updating graphics drivers
    Checking and un-checking "64-bit support"
    Running in DX11 instead of DX9, tried both 32 and 64 bit
    Praying to Satan

Relevant information:
    Dxdiag
    Launch.log

This is what I’m talking about.

I posted this previously, but that was concerning the beta. And now it’s in the main game. pls help

• I’m having this same problem :( Did everything you did even reinstalled the game and nothing.

• Also having this problem, tried everything OP mentioned.

• Same problem, tried step 1 and 3.

• im having the same problem, this is so frustrating!

• Having the same problem. Feeling withdrawn due to lack of daily dose of chiv.

• Also experiencing this issue… I played 4 hours earlier and it was just fine.

• I tried to play with the screen all black, but I’m not zatoichi so I didn’t do too well based off of sound only.

• Same thing here… Lets get this fixed? PLEASE… I want to continue playing on my day off…

• Mod

Hi all,

I’ve a feeling something odd has crept into the configs. Can you try renaming or deleting the configs folder in my documents / my games /chivalry and THEN reverifying the cache again.

Since these configs include setting theyre not removed when reinstalling the game. If that doesn’t work I’d probably need to see some copies of yours configs

• Just tried this, no luck :/

• I found the fix, thanks to our friend Benvolio in the official patchnotes CU2 Patch2 post.

@Benvolio708:

Changing SHSecondaryLighting and DirectionalLightmaps from false to true in UDKSystemSettings.ini fixed black screen for me and my brother. Hope it helps!

Confirmed to work for me. Spread the word.

• Mod

I’ll add that onto the master workaround/bugfixes thread :)

• Didn’t work for me. Sounds like a lot of people are still having this issue despite this ‘fix’

• Didn’t work. Why is there no official ‘fix’ for such a major bug that got released without proper testing first??

• @MonkeyFiend:

Hi all,

I’ve a feeling something odd has crept into the configs. Can you try renaming or deleting the configs folder in my documents / my games /chivalry and THEN reverifying the cache again.

Since these configs include setting theyre not removed when reinstalling the game. If that doesn’t work I’d probably need to see some copies of yours configs

Thanks for the reply, Monkey! I deleted my config folders and re-verified, but now they’re completely gone. I tried uninstalling and re-installing again, but that still didn’t restore them. Anywhere I can download these?

• @Smart.:

Thanks for the reply, Monkey! I deleted my config folders and re-verified, but now they’re completely gone. I tried uninstalling and re-installing again, but that still didn’t restore them. Anywhere I can download these?

Try starting up the game, the game should recreate default files.

• Gorgasm, this didn’t work for me because SHSecondaryLighting and DirectionalLightmaps are already on true. However someone told me to type “scale lowend” in console and I can partially see now.

• Got it Goregasm, thanks!

EDIT: BUT THE FIX DIDN’T WORK FFFFUFUFUFUFUFUuuuuuu

• How do you create a launch.log and dxdiag you posted earlier? If I could do that, then maybe we or Monkey could compare it, maybe making the problem easier to find.

EDIT: Found out how by reading Kimiko’s post. Will be posting my launch.log asap.