About archery

• Not sure if this is a good idea but let me just mention it

What do u all think of more realism with the archery stuff. Longbows: Those weapons should one hit every type of enemy when hit near the chest/ head area, but for balancing and realism u should only be able to hold it exactly 1 second, just cause a longbow can have like 100 lbs(like 50 kilo drawing power) wich pierces through everything but is nearly impossible to hold for much longer, even for most trained soldiers. It would take more skill to shoot them and give more rewards and removes the players feeling of immortality by hiding under their beds for a few minutes. Crossbows (the heavy and the ordinary one) should onehit aswell but be easier to aim for the lack of reloading speed.

archers in general should drop their arrows when hit.

there should still be somekind of recoil area because not everyone is able to split arrows just by aiming at the same spot. (nerves, Heartbeat, breath, Concentration and for the love of god humans are no robots)

i´d say least give it a try and u ll see if it makes sense or not.

• Recoil? Really?

As for Archery, one thing does need to change. I can’t draw my arrow for more than a few seconds before it goes back. That’s crap for me wanting to wait for the perfect shot.

• Arrows couldnt pierce through everything. Damn, the order of Malta knights who repelled the ottoman invasion force took rifle hits to the chest with bruises and a couple broken ribs as the only result.

About the longbow, its pretty realist that you cant hold it in firing position indefinitely (in real life you can only do it for a few seconds), but maybe for the sake of gameplay, or hollywood realism, the devs decide to change it.

• Realistic?

Take some archery classes. I have. You can hold it for as long as you want, of course, it gets harder and you just want to release.

But still.

• I think you double-posted, instead of editing Wingy!

• See you guys dont read properly.

First the bows u used mkilbride CANNOT have 100 lbs (50!!! kilos) just because u took some classes in something u dont go all the way up to the highest difficulty stuff. U wouldnt be able to draw that thing a tic mate. Read proper books about archery in the medieval times.

Second yes bows with that strength can pierce throug everything. Guns of that age, were really really weak had crappy accuracy and were just for making the enemy go all panic n stuff.

I agree if the devs made this cause they thought its the best way. but maybe they havent htouhgt of this what i mentioned.

• Hollywood realism takes the point for me (thanks for pointing it out Wingy).

• Yeah, I double posted.

About the bow, in archery classes you dont use a medieval war bow. A war bow is basically as strong as you are. The more strain you can put on it, the stronger the shot is. You couldnt keep the strain on the bow for more than a few seconds, and if you can, then the shot is not going to be very strong, or pierce through anything.

• Doublepost fixed.

I like the idea of recoil on bows, actually - having your aim automatically fall back to where you shot your last arrow is kinda silly.

However, I understand why it was left out. It would increase the learning curve for bows disproportionate to how much it effected players who already know how to aim them.

The only changes I want to see to bows are changes that increase the skill ceiling, not the learning curve. This also includes only being able to hold bows drawn for a brief period - experienced players won’t care, they’ll be wanting to shoot as rapidly as possible. New players would find it frustrating because it takes them longer to line up a shot.

I still say increase projectile speed, reduce base damage, increase headshot modifier (though it’s already higher than melee headshots, I’d say 2x modifier for arrow headshots wouldn’t be unreasonable if their base damage was dropped by ~30%)

• @SlyGoat:

Doublepost fixed.

#1 mod. :)

• k well i kinda agree to you sly taht this might be really toooo hardcoreish even tho its relative realistic. i dont want to tear down the fun of others or something just had that idea :), i mean i dont do archery in aoc nor chiv so its probably nonsense anywaysXD

• @Thorendir:

k well i kinda agree to you sly taht this might be really toooo hardcoreish even tho its relative realistic. i dont want to tear down the fun of others or something just had that idea :), i mean i dont do archery in aoc nor chiv so its probably nonsense anywaysXD

I like your suggestion, Im just saying what I think about the realism part of it, but then I state that for the sake of gameplay, realism is secondary imho. So if the devs want to implement it because they think the game will be more fun, so be it!