Chiv+ Review

• Hey guys. After playing Chiv+ for 5 or so hours total I’d like to present my thoughts on it.

It’s amazing. 'Nuff said. The game modes all work flawlessly, the combat is soooo smooth and crisp with the bubble gone. The reintroduction of cftp is a wonderful thing and brings back that sky-high skill ceiling we all missed terribly :).

Nabster you’ve done an awesome job! There’s only a couple problems I’d like to point out.

#1: The free duel mode is amazing. There’s just one small problem. People can bow and attack in the same motion making for an instant attack right at the beginning of the duel which is very annoying. Adding a 1-2 second immunity time at the beginning of duels should fix it.

#2: There’s a very weird death bug on the map Dungeon. It occurs randomly, and causes everyone on the map to just randomly die where they’re standing. Once it happens once, it happens every single round henceforth. I’ll play on it later and record it happening so you guys can see it.

Those are the only 2 problems I’ve seen so far. Other than those the mod is flawless. I hope the entire comp scene moves over to Chiv+ myself. I know Tempest is currently the only server in NA that has Chiv+ right now. Hopefully more clans switch over.

Seriously Nabster, you’re amazing. If we could all give you a big fat hug we would.

• Global Moderator

Desyncs can still happen. Though that was my shit server run off my computer. On a proper server it should be better.

And what do you mean by “smoother combat”? The smoothness of combat again largely relies on the server and computer specs. My definition of smooth is they are about as smooth as each other between + and vanilla. And compared to games like m&b and WOTR chiv was already the smoothest.

And I was only playing against randoms who saw the shiny new blue server on the list. And they don’t notice any difference what so ever lol. They thought it was jus new maps. But the combat has changed.

• The combat feels smoother because you’re not bouncing off of someone’s bubble every 10 seconds. Also there is no longer a sprint lockout (I think) which makes it feel smoother. Of course noobish randoms aren’t going to notice a difference. LMB still works.

• glad you enjoyed it

• Someone mind explaining how to get this? I see it’s on the Steam workshop. So if I subscribe to it, and have it downloaded, will Chiv + servers start showing up in the live game’s server browser?

• Chiv+ servers should show up in your server browser no matter what. But yeah, you just subscribe to it in the workshop then join a chiv+ server.

• Is the chase mechanic back to what it was too? If yes this seem more like a nightmare than a good mod. Basically for everyone who though that knight with sow owning everyone was balanced… It’s just my opinion of course. I maybe don’t like the bubble for everything it does but I sure do not miss funny to the face one handed that very tricky to block. Not impossible but sure was stupid how much you had to turn to block it.

• Remember, Nabster is the one who made the mod, not TB. This means there will definitely be balance changes and frequent updates.

• @Flippy:

Remember, Nabster is the one who made the mod, not TB. This means there will definitely be balance changes and frequent updates.

TornBanner DOES do balance changes and frequent updates. Pretty passive aggressive there.

• I haven’t seen any chiv+ servers au lemon.

• @Smart.:

TornBanner DOES do balance changes and frequent updates. Pretty passive aggressive there.

Oh. When was the last balance change? 4 months ago? k.

• @Smart.:

The last time TB made any kind of balance change or update was over 4 months ago. They haven’t made a single update besides this newest one for quite a long time. The newest one would’ve been great, and it is. Except most people can’t even play because it is/was so bugged out. Plus Nabster is himself a competitive player so he’ll have much greater insight as to what to change/fix than someone at TB who rarely plays the game does.

If TB does turn a new leaf and cracks down on bugs and balance and new content, then more power to them. But until then, I’m not holding my breath.

• Thanks for the review, glad you’re enjoying it! I’m looking into issues people have been reporting. Should have already fixed a few already, but I want to get a few more sorted before I release another version to try and minimize the problem of servers running outdated versions. Thanks again to everyone for the awesome feedback. :D

• Interesting did you manage to get the original source code for chivalry? or use a decompiler? I used to be a coder in C and Watcomm.I may try this out in a few months.

• Chivalry Modifications & Maps just pointing out this belongs in that section I’d guess. I grow tiresome of the mods lately. At least a while back the moderators actually made sure posts were put in the right place on site. Come back Kimiko!

• @loin:

Interesting did you manage to get the original source code for chivalry? or use a decompiler? I used to be a coder in C and Watcomm.I may try this out in a few months.

The UnrealScript source for Chivalry is available in your game directory: “…\steamapps\Common\ChivalryMedievalWarfare\Development\Src”

• My only complaint about chiv+ is lack of NA servers and no noobs to give that fuzzy pub-stomp feeling. Nabster is OG

• @Smart.:

There is a difference between making actual balance changes and taking a dump on the game.

• @Wolf.:

I haven’t seen any chiv+ servers au lemon.

the iVi boys had chiv+ running on their server last night. Having the SoW back to its old self was glorious. Pretty sure either the iVi or Res server will transfer full time to chiv+ classic duels with the Omega server running vanilla classic duels, provided everything goes according to plan.

• So if everyone could move to chivalry+, that would be great. Thanks