Archer Solution

• I suggest the Archers Ammo is reduced by half or a third. Also they start with no arrows out of spawn. The endless games ruined by Archers just standing about spamming arrows at anyone regardless of teams is obviously in need of a fix. Also hiding in off parts of maps just to rack up cheap kills with nothing to do with the Team Objective or even aid the team they are on.

Also by no ammo in spawn they actually have to come into the map and play not just camp in spawn unreachable areas spamming arrows at players with no option to get at them or kill them. The way they can watch duelling players and simply walk up to them and shoot them with bows is astounding even shooting there own side during that duel. I have witnessed an increase of Archers purposely shooting at the same sided players and running off in another direction because they were caught or thought they were not seen by a wounded team mate hehe.

Bows and ammo reductions aside, lets not forget now they are impersonating Man at Arms with that utterly op spam attack you with a tiny knife and going full out to stab players in the back because TB thought lets give them a bonus for a back stab?? What that mindset is about who knows. Bring back integrity with team respect to Chivalry I say. Reduce ammo for archersby 30 or 50%. imo

• The knives are definitely retarded. Somehow the thrusting dagger overhead can reach around and get your back… from the front. And thus 3hit a VG, all of which takes about 1.5 seconds.

• I was playing on an official TDM server yesterday and each match there were 6 archers per 12 players EACH TEAM. Then I joined some TO on Stonehill and realized that blues consists of 100% archers and reds are Tower Shield knights trying to push the ram while being shot by everything possible, including balistas and cata.

It could be a trolly kind of fun once in a while if it wasn’t a sad routine. Archers are too appealing and too rewarding for some reason. And it seems we have quite an influx of new CoD generation players that can’t imagine playing with anything that doesn’t shoot.

There should be a hard cap on all official servers. Let’s say 30% of the server population. It still high considering we have 4 classes in the game but it still would make it better.

Ah, and nerfing the speed of equipping secondables after they shoot would be nice too. Right now an archer is able to shoot you literary in the face staggering you, reach the dagger and stab you before you can retaliate.

• @Silu:

There should be a hard cap on all official servers. Let’s say 30% of the server population. It still high considering we have 4 classes in the game but it still would make it better.

Ah, and nerfing the speed of equipping secondables after they shoot would be nice too. Right now an archer is able to shoot you literary in the face staggering you, reach the dagger and stab you before you can retaliate.

YES, both of these fixes please. Hard cap for archers at around 1/4 and put back the delay for them switching to their melee weapons. They can shoot you point blank and still have time to pull out weapon for parry or attack, absolutely ridiculous.

• @Silu:

It could be a trolly kind of fun once in a while if it wasn’t a sad routine. Archers are too appealing and too rewarding for some reason. And it seems we have quite an influx of new CoD generation players that can’t imagine playing with anything that doesn’t shoot.

Honestly I think a lot of these “noob archers” we’re seeing are just trying to stay out of melee. I think a lot of new people are frustrated with learning the melee portion of this game (because they’re so used to point, click, kill) that you have so many people who just stay away from it. 95% of the pub players going archer I see can’t parry a single non-dragged attack. That other 4.9% can’t make it past the first parry/riposte trade. The .01% of badass archers probably all started as knights or something.

Also, those are internet statistics, please don’t call me out on my over-exaggerated estimations.

• To fix the shooting enemies while camping in spawn issue, there could just be a change that gives them ammo the moment they leave spawn, instead of spawning with ammo.

• How about they just make the archer spawn in with just his lion cloth and has to do barrel rolls to a ammo box to get his gear and pray to god it’s not on CD.

• Meh, most of the time the team with the most archers loses. I find it more annoying when my teammates are archers over when the other team has a lot of them. I do think that they should remove the added back stab damage. It doesn’t work correctly. It also makes no sense that the ranged class would get any kind of added damage bonus.

• Perhaps just get one or two van guards to throw some smoke at the archers? That option would work in many of the cases listed in this thread.
    @Silu:

I was playing on an official TDM server yesterday and each match there were 6 archers per 12 players EACH TEAM. Then I joined some TO on Stonehill and realized that blues consists of 100% archers and reds are Tower Shield knights trying to push the ram while being shot by everything possible, including balistas and cata…

To me this sounds like great fun. I’d love to experience this kind of a battle in TO. TBH if just one or two van guards threw some smoke (and knew where to put the smoke) the round could very well have ended in favour of the knights quite quickly.

When using smoke bombs its important to throw the smoke on the archers feet or at the wall in front of their face.

• All it takes is one friendly archer to pull of his Warbow with broadheads and starts sniping some enemy archers, which is quite fun to do.
    Just saying.

• Please keep hardcaps off official servers - its just stupid. All it does is limiting options. It does not solve any problem. Don’t impose things on people just because you hate certain tactics. Also limiting any class but Knight and (especially Archers) is breaking immersion. Hard. Having lots of Archers is a legit Medieval strategy (used by the English for example) and should not be removed because of Archer hating crybabies. Better things to limit Archer efficiency: - less ammo - longer reload times - flinch for throwables and crossbow reload - minor ranged spread - shield buff - remove the bubble and reduce dagger reach - add some Archer-free (limit 0) official servers for the haters to play on (read: about as many as 1stP/100FF servers) Or: Cry less and adjust your playstyle when facing Archers - facehugging Polearm-Vanguards are not the proper way to deal with them. Try shields - even if they gimp your melee. Try cover - even if it delays cutting off limbs. Try smoke - even if it needs some experience to use properly. Try teamwork - cover your mates with a shield and stick together to avoid getting swarmed by spammy Archers. Use the Pavise to provide additional cov… nevermind its bugged and will probably never be fixed…

• definitely limit archer numbers. I play on GoT servers at times and love it because they limit archers to 2 per team. you have a more visceral in your face melee fight with way more knights, vans, and spamatarms and still have to keep an eye out, because its usually the best archers that snag the 4 slots, but you dont have to constantly worry that youre going to get spammed by some CoD fanboy.

• remove crossbows: problem solved.

• Please just no. The archer is far from needing these nerfs due to being so squishy. And especially HELL NO to the ammo capacity reduction all that will do is make it annoying having to go to the ammo box that much more they aren’t always within close reach and some mode & map combinations have no ammo boxes. Stop being cry babies about archers if you don’t like it play something else the game’s called medieval warfare not melee warfare

• Yes I agree its called Medieval warfare not sniper elite. Do you not think being constantly sniped at is not annoying Gamerdude535? My solution offered a way to even it out. Lately your class deserves it as now Archers shooting at same team in spawn is defo increasing and on the battle field.Archers have it to easy atm.

• Just give it up. Archers are never going to get a significant nerf and you’re never going to find an intelligent debate about their balance here.

All you can really do is hope Torn Banner don’t go full retard and include them in Chivalry 2 that they’ve teased somewhat over the last year.

• Your ammo could reduce in proportion to the number of archers on your team. That would be an interesting compromise.

• @dudeface:

Your ammo could reduce in proportion to the number of archers on your team. That would be an interesting compromise.

that’s… brilliant.

• @loin:

Yes I agree its called Medieval warfare not sniper elite. Do you not think being constantly sniped at is not annoying Gamerdude535? My solution offered a way to even it out. Lately your class deserves it as now Archers shooting at same team in spawn is defo increasing and on the battle field.Archers have it to easy atm.

It is a little bit annoying at times never said it didn’t have any annoyance factor and constantly is an overstatement. There’s no cry babying from me it’s a fun game and archery is part of the game. I don’t main archer if you’re implying that I like playing all the classes they’re all fun and the knight is my most favorite out of all the classes also I almost always use shields anytime I play knight or man at arms like most people should it helps a lot against projectiles the more you know

• @loin:

Yes I agree its called Medieval warfare not sniper elite.

Did you know that during the Hundred Years’ War, the English army mostly consisted of bowmen…

@David:

All you can really do is hope Torn Banner don’t go full retard and include them in Chivalry 2 that they’ve teased somewhat over the last year.

…so how could the game be called Medieval Warfare if one of the medieval times’ most important roles were removed? Hm?

Seriously. Just add weapon sway and a greater projectile drop over distance, rather than removing all their arrows or stuff like that.