So what happened this time?

• So I load up chiv, and find that since the new patch the combat manages to feel very odd compared to what it had felt like playing a few hours pre patch. Movement speed definitely feels a decent bit faster, vanguards are sidestepping attacks all over the place in a way that wasnt possible before.

Some attack animations are choppy, and somehow less fluid than before - particularly overheads…

Actually it feels a little like how i remember DW feeling when I played that. Combat feels floaty, has lost some of the ‘chunkiness’ about it. Is this in my head? Just curious because I wasnt expecting any gameplay changes, as none were mentioned: I was pretty surprised that everything felt different. Pretty much leads me to thinking its not in my head, as I wasnt ‘looking’ for it to feel different in any way, not expecting it, i noticed it instead.

Im just tired of updates that make the game feel totally different to play - and ive sunk enough time into it to know how it feels.

Whats happened?

• Did you join a Chiv+ server?

Standard Chivalry shouldn’t feel that much different.

• They said they improved network code, but I think it’s worse. However, they changed the animations you see in 3rd person/on other enemies. It’s supposed to make mouse dragging look more fluid and easier to read/update on your screen faster, but it adds to some desyncs/harder to read scenarios with some weapons. I have noticed, however, that the hit box for landing hits on the head seem to be more accurate. I’m 3 shotting knights and 2 shotting vanguards with the longsword much more consistently now since the patch, and it’s because when I hit their head it actually damages them as if I hit their head more often now.

I think this is a step in the right direction for making mouse dragging more “reactable/readable,” but they shouldn’t settle for this and instead keep trying to improve it. It’s definitely not like Deadliest Warrior to me, that game has some of the worst choppy animations I’ve ever seen.

• @SOC:

I think this is a step in the right direction for making mouse dragging more “reactable/readable,” but they shouldn’t settle for this and instead keep trying to improve it. It’s definitely not like Deadliest Warrior to me, that game has some of the worst choppy animations I’ve ever seen.

I always thought they were kind of choppy and I do feel like a lot of the animations have been improved upon significantly with whatever the hell they did. The spear weapons in particular are much easier to read feint or attack on, as they now have frames in-between release and striking (whereas I found most spear weapons were a guess right before windup ended, almost like they teleport into you).

But you’re right, it’s definitely not all improvements. Desyncs are really bad right now and I see lots of times where things are hitting WAY before their animations. While this might be a ping issue I’m not thinking as much because it’s fairly consistent across all players that use the same weapons. The claymore is just an atrocity in a game where ping is so important. The bearded axe overhead was never a problem for me before, but now I’m getting nailed in windup a lot. I don’t feel like my parries are as reliable as they were pre-patch because I’m not entirely sure what the weapons are doing or when they’re really supposed to be hitting. Lookdown animations often-times lead to being stuck right at windup (almost as though they all had pole handles now). You will still be stared to death on the occasion.

I agree it’s not DW. I’m not a fan of DW in the slightest, but I still like this game. I just feel like it’s getting even less consistent at times. I had an occasion yesterday when one of my attacks on an opponent with 0 HP was parried correctly (my sword bounced off, heard the sound, etc.) and then he died (and it was in a duel) and several times when I’ve typed “gf- you parried that” into chat because I’ve hit directly into an opponents parry and scored successful hits (as well as thought this happened to me several times).

Still love the game though. There’s no substitute just yet, and I love my melee combat.

• ^This. Seeing a lot of inconsistent strikes as well, which with the new shield block system is driving me nuts. Also, did they do something to the poleaxe? Seems really slow now in comparison to its old self.

• @LTTLWLF:

^This. Seeing a lot of inconsistent strikes as well, which with the new shield block system is driving me nuts. Also, did they do something to the poleaxe? Seems really slow now in comparison to its old self.

Hey man! I am so with you on the poleaxe being a little less useful now, but I think it’s the same thing we see with spears. That stab used to be the greatest combo introduction, now it’s really easy to read because everyone can see more frames between windup and hit. It’s now very easy to parry as a result. I’ve noticed this both using (up until very recently I used to main that sucker) and fighting the weapon before and after patch.

Used to be only more experienced players were able to read the windup animation, now it’s more fluid and much easier to see coming as well.

I guess I could believe it was a little broken before, but not any more broken than the brandistock or any other polearm that had teleport stabs.

• It does feel different now, mostly because of what they did with how the connections work(like SOC said).

I’ll have to disagree on this being an improvement however, there are some desyncs. They are starting to occur less or less that might be because a)servers have been updated or b)I’ve somehow managed to get used to it.

The desyncs certainly do have their spikes though, like when you suddenly start spectating mid-fight because ‘supposedly’ you were killed even though the enemy was barely at the end of his previous attack’s animation.

• Ok I just played for a little while and I’m almost POSITIVE look down overheads have become disjointed with the animation. They are hitting significantly earlier than the animation shows. Polearms are still instant (or sometimes even before the animation) but look-downs have gotten really wonky in general.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I also have the occasion now where I get killed before a strike seems to hit me (or even well before the release of the swing), and instead of a death animation I just disappear and it goes into 3rd person view. This is incredibly frustrating as I don’t even get a chance to parry. It might be a desync thing though.

• It could be just me but the riposte stab of Brandi and Spear is easier to notice as well. Before it was like a choppy windup and then a hit. Now I can see a fluid release animation.

• I seem to be getting more swings blatantly passing through people.

Other than that nothing “feels” that different. Not on the same level The Turd is talking about.

• Yeah, having big problems after the patch. Animations passing through people, desyncs and just choppy gameplay.
    I am having major problems but I have played with people that aren’t having any problems at all. It’s so unfair :(