Any expeirenced Greatsword users here?

• Hey guys!
    The Greatsword is my big love in Chivalry. It has a little of everything. Damage, reach and speed.
    I’m doing good with it I think. Sometimes I kick ass, sometimes I get my ass kicked.

So now I’d love to get some tipps of experienced Greatswiord users.

Especially when fighting polearms and fast-ass onehanded weapons.

What tactics are best against those kinds of weapons with the Greatsword?

Thanks in advance.

• All I do is go from target to target, never focusing on just one person. Seems to work 90% of the time. The rest you kinda just have to improvise.

• Yeah I know that tactic already. It’s when fighting multiple enemies. Sorry I forgot to mention that I mean 1v1.

• For 1vs1s, do what the greatsword does best: be versatile. Close the distance against pole arms, and keep the distance against fast one handers. It’s a pretty straight forward weapon, with great combos, feints and mouse drags. Focus your self to only parry right before you take damage so you don’t fall to feints, and don’t ever swing when you knock your enemy out of your range. Pretty much all there is to it.

• Greatsword 101: Fishtails, lookdowns, lifts and drop stabs.

• Billhook is also an awesome, balanced, underrated weapon. It can 2 shot all the classes except Knight, which it can 3 shot. To two shot a VG you need to stab him once either in the chest or head. Any follow up attack (as long as you don’t hit the legs) will kill him.

• lookdown like a motherfucker

• My tactic is always kinda is swing first and miss purposely, then try to catch them around their shield/parry with the second swing.

• -Overhead lookdown spam
    -Helicoptor tactics
    -mostly hold them at distance
    -always hit archer’s heads (One hit kill)
    -never hit a full vanguard with two swings (he will survive it, if you don’t hit the head, otherwise 1 swing + 1nonswing or 2 nonswings kill him)

• @CRUSHED:

lookdown like a motherfucker

That comment is as unconstructive as a builder without limbs, eyes and ears

• @Peter:

That’s a good analogy, albeit very morbid. I can’t get that image out of my head now.

• @Peter:

He has a point though, so many people just force hit-trades by using lookdowns whenever their opponent tries to swing. Won’t get you any credibility as a skilled opponent, but it gets the job done 90% of the time.

• @Peter:

@Crushed:

lookdown like a motherfucker

Unfortunately true though. Against everyone except people you meet on FFA duel servers, this is pretty much all you need. Against good players, mix up the look downs with delays, miss combos and the backswing, which is mighty with the GS. Dragged stabs are also good against mid level players, but it’s kinda telegraphed to good players, and if they have a fast attack too they’ll smash you in the head while your going super wide with the stab. I’ve recently started to main GS again, and the biggest mistake I make is forgetting that I’m so fragile as a vg. That being said though, look downs are still your best friend with this weapon, do them aggressively and from different angles and you’ll do well. Kinda cheap though. Halberd is strong as fuck, the only way you’re going to do well against it with anything is just by being the better player.

• @Harry:

Halberd is strong as fuck, the only way you’re going to do well against it with anything is just by being the better player.

So you think the Halberd is better than GS overall? I used to main both, having fun with the Claymore atm.

• @Silu:

So you think the Halberd is better than GS overall? I used to main both, having fun with the Claymore atm.

1 on 1, absolutely I do. Both are very strong weapons, but the halberd feels kind of insane in a duel at the moment. In TO, though, the greatsword trumps everything for pure killing potential, imo. Mixing up accels, delays and target switching a lot you can get almost embarrassingly high scores on a pub server.

• Come on OP,
    We all know your epic with the claymore, your just going to be even more epic with the great sword.
    The only things i’d suggest:
    -riposte is your friend
    -lookdown overhead, but only for a change in pace
    -overpower people with overhead and win.
    -stab at people to keep them at bay.
    -use swing and foot work to catch MAA out as they try to hit you, but you will be out of their range and take their top off.
    -you’ll find that the windup of stab stars far out in front of you so you can give people the touch of death with your hands……
    -whiffing is good for a laugh with MAA ->whiff into overhead - you can often get away with this because the greatsword is so long and the lookdown overhead is so fast…that and your hands are ‘touch of death’
    -archers love overheads :)

Really the key is being versatile, unpredictable, and sneaky.

• To be truly great at the greatsword you must be great, in order to be great you have to use the greatsword. Step 1 to being #1 vanguard NA: Do the blender (spin spin spin), step 2: stab stab stab, step 3: greatsword.

• As usual, my boyfriend nailed the head on the hit. I am #1 Sling Bolivia so I can vouch for his swerve.

• @giantyak:

Come on OP,
    We all know your epic with the claymore, your just going to be even more epic with the great sword.
    The only things i’d suggest:
    -riposte is your friend
    -lookdown overhead, but only for a change in pace
    -overpower people with overhead and win.
    -stab at people to keep them at bay.
    -use swing and foot work to catch MAA out as they try to hit you, but you will be out of their range and take their top off.
    -you’ll find that the windup of stab stars far out in front of you so you can give people the touch of death with your hands……
    -whiffing is good for a laugh with MAA ->whiff into overhead - you can often get away with this because the greatsword is so long and the lookdown overhead is so fast…that and your hands are ‘touch of death’
    -archers love overheads :)

Really the key is being versatile, unpredictable, and sneaky.

Feints are good too.

• @Biscuit_buddy:

To be truly great at the greatsword you must be great, in order to be great you have to use the greatsword. Step 1 to being #1 vanguard NA: Do the blender (spin spin spin), step 2: stab stab stab, step 3: greatsword.

@XaleUdo:

As usual, my boyfriend nailed the head on the hit. I am #1 Sling Bolivia so I can vouch for his swerve.

All of this information is correct.