Are Spartans UP/OP, how should I play them?

• Hi there, I’m a Chivalry noob (50 hours on medieval warfare, 10 on DW) and my favourite class so far are Spartans. Normally I play with the 6 short spears and the third sword as my loadout, going into a battle with my sword then going out and tossing my spears as I heal. My KD is around 1.2, excluding assists.

The problem is, whenever I am forced to play another class due to gamemode (example samurai) I tend to do MUCH better in KDA with MUCH less effort.

So I would like to summon the Chivalry gurus in all their wisdom to tell me: should I be playing a better class, use a different fighting style, different weapons, or all of the above?

• Spartan is a very good class. A fellow clan mate of mine, Omega would roll faces and top the leader board with the Spartan. There was also another guy on the forums named Citizen to claimed to be very good at it.

I always mained Ninja, but I played a good Spartan as well. I would recommend using the Dory/Falcata setup. Use MwheelUP for the Dory a lot (It’s technically a stab, but looks more like an overhead). It does close to the same damage as the thrust, while being faster and much easier to control. Go from target to target and never focus your attention on just one person in a group fight. Always be moving.

You’ll get better with experience. I would say keep playing Spartan with the Dory/Falcata setup.

• Cheers for the reply. My only problem with using the Dory is 9/10 the game is too much of a clusterfuck to justify not using my Falcata. Would you have some tips as to when I should throw my Dory or switch to using my sword?

• Stabbing with the dory is deadly and is more accurate in a cluster of enemies and comrades. I suggest throwing the dory at retreating enemies.

• @Flippy:

Go from target to target and never focus your attention on just one person in a group fight. Always be moving.

Yeah watch 300. Did they ever stop moving? Nawh, they just keep moving stabbing, moving stabbing, anyone they don’t kill gets murdered the next second by someone else on their side. It actually looks a lot funner than the defense spartans who just counter-stab.

• People still playing CDW?

• The reason that Spartan can be feel more difficult to play is because the player is using almost all stab attacks in a game where the release time is already very short. This gives you a pretty small window of attack where you must be very accurate. You’re not using big two handed swords like the No Dachi so you can’t go around swinging carelessly. Turn up your sensitivity and don’t be afraid to use the shield bash or alt shield bash if your opponent gets close. You have a shield to make blocking easier which should help make up for the accuracy needed in using the Spartan spears.

Let’s go over some of the Spartan attacks.
    -Primary Attack aka Long Thrust: The longest reaching Spartan attack and also the highest damage (I think). Don’t be afraid to combo this attack as long as your opponent isn’t playing super risky. It’s fast, long reaching, and good in damage. I usually lead in with this attack and transition into another swing for combo. You can combo this attack three times in a row so it can be very useful for keeping enemies at range in a larger engagement. You have to be accurate as it has a short release.

-Secondary attack aka Shield Bash: VERY FAST but I believe it does the least damage of any spartan attack now. Great for when an enemy is trying to get up into your face. It can also be extremely effective to combo into this attack since your enemy will not often see the animation up close. Be careful using this at medium and long distance because your opponent can easily move to the side and avoid it without even meaning to due to the short range of the attack.

-Tertiary attack aka Stab: This attack is quick and does decent damage. It can also be difficult to react to from an opposing player’s perspective. Try aiming up and dragging this attack down into your enemy’s head as it will often go over their parry.

One last note is that if you find yourself in a crazy skirmish as you often do in these games then just pull out your sword and shield and start hacking. The spear won’t serve you as well in those wild circumstances.
    I’ll write some other notes up later.

• Global Moderator

@rumpelstiltskin:

People still playing CDW?

Yeah because ranks and unlocks work.

And to correct Dr.Nick’s points the tertiary attack (stab) does the most damage while the primary attack is the longest reaching.

• Popping back in to just say thanks guys - I’ve been getting progressively better with the Spartan, however many times I find myself switching between the Dory/Short Spear depending on how much of a clusterfuck the game is.

• DORY every time keep hold of it most of the time because it keeps team damage to a minimum unless you scewer your teammate through the enemy, you see to many people using the swords in tight group fights and it constantly hits team (pisses me off).
    If you are outnumberd however I would throw dory especialy if its a 1 hit job (pirate, ninja or somebody wounded).

FOR SPARTA!

• @rumpelstiltskin:

People still playing CDW?

Since noone else replied, I will say “Only people who have not played CMW long enough to know the difference.”

• @gregcau:

Since noone else replied, I will say “Only people who have not played CMW long enough to know the difference.”

I only play DW now because shield knight in CMW is bazooked into the ground with high explosive nerf cannon ammo. I’ve been playing CMW since early January 2013.

• DW is better than MW. Let it be said.

• I love MW and still do, but DW’s system of having a ‘sweet spot’ for attacks to do most damage is simply awesome. Why? Because it eliminates the look down overheads, the look up overheads, the delayed swings are less damaging, and for whatever reasons, the assholes who go in third person mode, look at the floor and run around swinging a zweihander do not exist.

I got back onto MW for two games, and found three people doing that shit. Nope. Not for me. If MW ever adopted this damage system I’d be all over that.

• I still do look down overheads and delays in DW, and I’m doing great. :P

• @B4RK:

I still do look down overheads and delays in DW, and I’m doing great. :P

ya, that’s why DW is a better game, you have options, you don’t have to exclusively facehug and feintspam, beat the floor with the zweihander, or just using a brandistock to have a better chance at beating other people doing it.

The choices are still there, they’re just balanced this time around. Feintspamming is less effective due to faster movement speed, and ground pounding/windup hits/dragging is less effective because of the damage ramp variation. So you can trade stamina or lower damage, respectively, to gain a better chance of landing a hit.

I’d really love to see MW adopt the damage ramp system, but I know it would never happen due to community uproar.

• @Badgers:

ya, that’s why DW is a better game, you have options, you don’t have to exclusively facehug and feintspam, beat the floor with the zweihander, or just using a brandistock to have a better chance at beating other people doing it.

If you live in NA, I’d love to duel you. I mean if all you have to do is facehug, feintspam, beat the floor with the Zwei and use the Brandi you’ll surely have no problem dispatching me.

• @Hellreaver:

Hi there, I’m a Chivalry noob (50 hours on medieval warfare, 10 on DW) and my favourite class so far are Spartans. Normally I play with the 6 short spears and the third sword as my loadout, going into a battle with my sword then going out and tossing my spears as I heal. My KD is around 1.2, excluding assists.

The problem is, whenever I am forced to play another class due to gamemode (example samurai) I tend to do MUCH better in KDA with MUCH less effort.

So I would like to summon the Chivalry gurus in all their wisdom to tell me: should I be playing a better class, use a different fighting style, different weapons, or all of the above?

lol i owned citizen as spartan and ur buddy omega

scrap me if u dont believe me but maybe after the game can actually launch