Lagging on EVERY server.

• I haven’t played this game since like, April. I just recently picked it back up again. However, I have lag spikes in every server I play in. The server could be down the street from me. doesn’t matter; still lagged.

I don’t lag the whole game, but I have lag spikes every single time. Now, I can see why I would lag in a server that is far away. But I mean, when I lag in every server, regardless of how close it is, something is wrong with the net code in this game for a certainty.

Someone please help me? I don’t want to have to deal with lag spikes every single damn time I play this game.

• Any chance you could be more exact?
    Do the lagspikes occur at regular intervals? Does your ping slowly go up?

I’ve had quite a bit of lag issues in this game so I think I can come up with a suggestion or two if I understand your exact problem a bit better :)

• @Rickvs:

Any chance you could be more exact?
    Do the lagspikes occur at regular intervals? Does your ping slowly go up?

I’ve had quite a bit of lag issues in this game so I think I can come up with a suggestion or two if I understand your exact problem a bit better :)

It happens multiple times a game. I’m nto sure what you mean by “regular intervals”, but it will usually spike up to 150+ in one fell swoop, then slowly… slowly… go back down. Rinse and repeat all game, every game.

I have 150 steam hours in this game. When I played in the spring, this rarely ever happened. It’s a new issue for me.

• Oh man this is a broad problem. Does it happen in all online games? Did you change your modem/router before you began experiencing the lag? Are you wired with an ethernet cable or are you wireless? Did you change ISP’s?

Go to www.pingtest.net and run multiple tests to servers near you over and over. Do you still experience the spikes, or is it smooth?

• @Skream:

It happens multiple times a game. I’m nto sure what you mean by “regular intervals”, but it will usually spike up to 150+ in one fell swoop, then slowly… slowly… go back down. Rinse and repeat all game, every game.

I have 150 steam hours in this game. When I played in the spring, this rarely ever happened. It’s a new issue for me.

Flippy already stated what would be my first step as well.

Next up, before you play Chivalry go to Start(I’m going to assume you run on Windows considering you play Chivalry) and then search for ‘Services’.

Open that up and you should see something like this:

(Mine is in Dutch but I’m sure you get the basic idea)

Next up would be to manually disable EVERY service you don’t need. Don’t get too picky, and don’t be too worried. You probably won’t accidentally turn off your PC and nothing you do here is permanent; it will all be reset next time you boot the computer. Shut down EVERY service you don’t need. This includes printer tools, update utilities, event notifiers etc etc. Only make an exception for: connection based services, core Windows services(like Explorer) and overlay services). If you’re really unsure about one you can leave it on.

Try to play Chivalry. For me this helped wonders, let’s just hope the same goes for you.
    If it DID help, next session you want to play Chivalry repeat the previous steps, but also right click on the unnecessary services, choose ‘Properties’ and check the ‘startup type’(or something like that) to ‘Disabled’. This means it will never automatically turn on again, and can only be turned back on manually by yourself.

(Again, don’t mind the Dutch part)

Although I have some other suggestions I believe this should work wonders in most cases. For some people this didn’t work(obviously because we don’t all share the exact same problem) so tell me when you tried this.
    Good luck! :)

• I’d also check internet connectivity - in case you’re getting a bit of packet loss by opening command prompt (cmd) and typing: ping 37.157.241.226 -t

Let this run for a bit (however long it normally takes you to have a problem) and see if you get any lost packets.

Failing that I’d probably be looking a network analyser like ethereal/wireshark to see what’s using the internet connection when the ping spikes occur

• Hey guys sorry, I was visiting family for the holidays.

@Rickvs - I’m not sure that would really help. It seems pretty involved so I’ll save it as a last resort.

@Flippy - I live in Connecticut so I only play on east servers, and thus I only tested eastern points on pingtest. The highest ping I got was 90 for Florida, and no server had any packet loss. I also tried Chicago, which said 43 ping and no packet loss. I am on wireless, and no my ISP hasn’t changed in the past year. I do however use a wireless USB adapter, which I know is garbage, but like I said this issue is a new aberration in my experience with the game.

@MonkeyFiend - my packet loss was 1%. 240 sent, 237 received. The time for each reply was above 100ms, but none above 150ms.

• You need to be wired and not wireless if you want to play games. Having it wired will reduce ping dramatically, which seems to be your problem. (from Connecticut you should be getting 60-80 ping to Florida at most) If wiring the connection doesn’t work then it’s likely that your your route has more traffic and will result in slower speeds and frequent spikes. (this is what happened to me)

Call your ISP’s tech support and ask if they can see anything on their end. If they can’t then this pretty much confirms it’s a routing problem. Ask for the tech to change your route. If they say “I can’t do that.” they’re spewing bullshit. If they refuse to change your route ask for another tech. Keep doing this until you get someone who knows what they’re doing.

Also check any/all of your torrent programs. Make sure you’re not inadvertently seeding/downloading a torrent. I was having bad ping for a week and I had no idea why. I went to download a torrent and I noticed I was seeding 2 old torrents from a week ago.

Hope you get your internet fixed. I had to deal with constant spiking and high latency for nearly 2 months since one of my ISP’s nodes were damaged. I know what it’s like to lag to hell :[