Knight loadout lackluster?

• So I took Deadliest Warrior for a spin this week. Loving the class diversity so far, but just one thing that buggers me- the knight, the representative warrior brought in from the original game, seems to have severely limited arsenal. The weapons that were chosen to be ported make sense- the sword of war, poleaxe, flanged mace, the halberd, they all represented balanced, good at everything weapon choices in CMW.

After a while of playing, however, I tend to miss the niche weapons with not so balanced stats. Was it so hard to port some of the more iconic weapons of the knight over to this game? The maul, for instance, comes to mind- the ultimate knight powerhouse, which I severely miss in this game. Especially since both the Samurai and the Viking are given their versions of big blunt weapon, but not the knight. Why? The flail also comes to mind- something that was a unique knight weapon in CMW, and also something unique in relation to the five new classes in CDW, seeing how none carry anything even remotely similar. It should have been there in the game.

And last but not least- the Samurai gets to have his version of the greatsword, but not the knight? Come on, devs, since you saw fit to steal the halberd from the vanguard and pass it to the knight, why not go all the way? Give him a zweihander or a greatsword, so we can give the odachi samurais some of their own medicine.

Right now it just seems weird that both the Samurai and the Viking have a larger melee weapon pool to choose from (6), most of which were created anew, while the knight, the iconic class from the original game, gets mere 5, all of which are ports anyway. How hard could it be to give him some more?

• Global Moderator

The maul is literally a hammer used to drive stakes into the ground. Never militarised. A peasant weapon.
    The flail is again a peasant weapon but it was militarised. Originally farm equipment it become a weapon. Though uncommon.

Their weapon choice is good. I think its the fact that we have all used those weapons before. Though their stats are different. And the flanged mace is actually 30% longer than its CMW counterpart.

• Thanks for the history lesson, but that wasn’t my meaning. When I said “iconic” weapons, I meant the more distinguished knight weapons in the game, not history. I’m not saying the weapon choices are bad either. It’s just that the roster is filled with jacks of all trades, is all, while the more niche weapons (I would also say the more “interesting” weapons) were left out. As it stands, the knight lacks a powerhouse weapon with slow speed, as well as any weapon that would truly distinguish his arsenal from the Viking or the Samurai. I’m simply saying it wouldn’t hurt if he had more weapons.

• I jumped into MW for the first time in like 6 or more months last night, and I was fuckin shit up with the Double Axe. I love that thing. I really think the Double Axe should get into DW, since it’s just a quicker maul with big ass blades.

• Knight is a lot faster in DW than he is in MW, so there’s only a handful of weapons that he can get without completely smashing the game. Weapons like the Morning star and Broadsword would have too much reach, damage and speed in this game. Just like weapons like the Maul, Messer and vanguard swords/brandi would deal too much damage to be given to the most armored class in the game. Keep in mind that most players hit trade, so lolmaul.

I would like to see the tower shield in instead of the kite, since the kite and the heater are pretty much the same thing.
    Being able to pick up the crossbow bolts would be swell too, so I don’t feel bad about devoting half of my loadout to something I can only use 5-8 times. If you’re going to run across the map to pick up a bolt, you should be able to use it again.

From a balance standpoint, all of his current weapons deal average damage. There’s a reason the nodachi deals the same damage as the katana, the vanguard swords would just break this game since they’re enormous and deal a boat-load of damage. Weapons like that paired with the tankiest class in the game would just make him the LMB facemelted.

There’s only a handful of weapons I feel they could give the knight without making him too good. A few would be the daggers/SS, falchion/waraxe/snorehammer, or one of his more niche 2hers like the grand mace/double axe, or a toned-down messer.

In order to be given his really heavy hitters, he would need to be slower, or less armored. But I really would enjoy more diversity on his loadout, without turning him into the OP LMB monster.

I’m curious the hear what other people think about this topic though. Oh and they should add the mason knight, because sometimes I tire of mead, I thirst for blood.

• @Velociraptor:

As it stands, the knight lacks a powerhouse weapon with slow speed

Halberd and Poleaxe are slow and devastating in the right hands, suitably.

@lemonater47:

The flail is again a peasant weapon but it was militarised. Originally farm equipment it become a weapon.

The hell? I’m genuinely curious, how the hell was the flail used in farm equipment? Not a dig or anything, I want to know.

• @Ma:

The hell? I’m genuinely curious, how the hell was the flail used in farm equipment? Not a dig or anything, I want to know.

iirc the farm tool version of the flail which is a lot longer than the weapon version was for threshing wheat and stuff I think it’s to get insects out of the crops idk what exactly threshing crops does for it but the get insects out thing could be it

• I want the OP to just come out and say that he likes swords and wants BIGGER swords available to knights.

• @omg87:

I want the OP to just come out and say that he likes swords and wants BIGGER swords available to knights.

Did I hear someone call me out? Here I am. Yes, I do like swords. And, seeing how the Sword of War was the smallest of knight primary swords, I do want BIGGER swords. And I also like mauls. And want them.

On a more serious note, some good points were made as to why these weapons couldn’t be introduced, at least in their current state. The knight speed is, obviously, an issue, even with the current loadout, I’d say. He feels too fast. Reducing his speed would balance out his armor and allow for more heavy hitting weapons to be added. That, OR you could just give the greatsword the nodachi treatment- have it deal roughly the same damage as the sword of war, only have longer reach and swing considerably slower as a result. Even though it makes little sense, but balance.

As for the maul, it should remain a one (head)shot killer, if it’s added. And, naturally, keep its slow speed. The way I see it, if you manage to get hit by something THAT slow, you should by all means be dead. It also has very low reach. And while it was stated that hit trading would be an issue with heavy damage weapons, well, then don’t hit trade with a knight. In CMW that much was apparent- if you’re a lighter class, you don’t hit trade with a class that can outlast you. Even less when he has the most damaging weapon in the game. The parry is in the game for a reason, as is footwork.

• Making the Knight slower seems all fine and dandy until you realize he’ll drag that maul across the screen until finally after the weapon would’ve lost all of it’s momentum or his back cracked in half, you’ll get hit for full damage. The Knight’s speed atm is fine and forces less drags which imo is kind of a game breaking mechanic. That and they make no logical sense.

• I think instead of adding a maul for knight, let’s just make the Viking hammer BIGGER AND SLOWER. AND ADD SPIKES ON IT. PLUS BEAR SKULL HELMET.

• I would love seeing atleast the Longsword back into Knights arsenal, a bit slower than the SoW but with better reach and slightly more damage. Adding a Claymore might make Knights abit too much of a powerhouse but It should be balanceable seeing how good the Halberd is anyhow… Flail is must for it’s randomness and headcracking. Gief.

• @Oy:

I jumped into MW for the first time in like 6 or more months last night, and I was fuckin shit up with the Double Axe. I love that thing. I really think the Double Axe should get into DW, since it’s just a quicker maul with big ass blades.

but it was actully used to cut trees then militarized u noob !

• I agree with the lackluster of the knights loadout, but what deadliest warrior was meant to do was to use the most famous weapons used by the knight. a knight wouldn’t use a less common weapon as they could afford a nice shiny SOW or poleaxe. however, i do also agree that it would be nice to have the messer or even just another weapon because going through 4 weapons from my favourite class is just kinda boring. before i get told to go play C:MW i like the new levels and maps of deadliest warrior and prefer facing new opponents to kill.

• Knight’s loadout is fine. It has weapon filling each space across the chart.

There is no need for the maul.
    1. In a game that is basically a spam contest, something being able to 1-hit anyone would be just sick
    2. Vikings already have a big hammer.
    3. As Lemon pointed out, it IS NOT A WEAPON.

Although this issue could simply be solved be beefing the pole-axe’s overhead damage. So far it feels like the lmb-slash deals the most damage while the overhead that is quite hard to land with everyone being faster than even maa, deals not all that rewarding damage, for the effort.

Similarly with greatswords, in this game.
    1. Long slashing weapons just own in this game, just look at the viking long-axe, or the nodachi or whatever it is called.
    2. Halberd already fills the role quite well.

Now for the flail, that weapon is trash, slower and shorter morning star essentially, why would you want that to carry over? You got flanged mace for that role.

• @Martys:

So far it feels like the lmb-slash deals the most damage while the overhead that is quite hard to land with everyone being faster than even maa, deals not all that rewarding damage, for the effort.

The overhead deals Blunt damage, it’s best against Knight, and good against Sam, Spart and Vik.

• As I stated with my earlier post, most of the weapons if copied over from MW would be pretty imbalanced. The four he currently has aren’t spectacular in a lmb festival, like a majority of the vanguard’s weapons would be in DW. I’m pretty sure they didn’t want to include any weapons that were not in the TV show, though I could be wrong. The only weapon that’s not in the game is the morning star, but that would just do too much damage for its length and speed, and feel a bit too similar to the longer DW mace. Nevertheless, I would like to see a few more options for him.

• Just give him a broadsword, a messer or a warhammer. Any or all 3 would be nice.