What's up with the Steam friend highlight?

• Hey, been playing this game last few days with a friend and in our first game we noticed we could easily spot eachother with the new very nice and useful friend highlight feature. It even showed up in FFA and really helps enjoying the game (which has many other flaws which I’m amazed are still so predominant so long after release, but that’s off topic)

However it disappeared now, and we can’t find eachother when playing… Most of the time we give up playing together since it’s too much of a hassle to meet on map. It kind of feels like we re playing on different servers when there’s 40+ players… So is there an option to enable it somewhere? Did they remove it in last patch? Is it server specific?

Or… another bug?

• When the patch came out last week they replaced the old tag system with the one from Deadliest Warrior. That means it shows some little (actually its too large IMHO) yellowish icon above your friends’ heads, instead of just their name. If you are aiming more or less in their direction their name shows up under the icon.

Another side effect is that it no longer works in FFA. I assume this was intentional? It’s a bit disappointing, as I always very much enjoyed being able to find my friends in FFA.

• @dudeface:

When the patch came out last week they replaced the old tag system with the one from Deadliest Warrior. That means it shows some little (actually its too large IMHO) yellowish icon above your friends’ heads, instead of just their name. If you are aiming more or less in their direction their name shows up under the icon.

Another side effect is that it no longer works in FFA. I assume this was intentional? It’s a bit disappointing, as I always very much enjoyed being able to find my friends in FFA.

I see what you mean, I actually witnessed that new system.
    But I just played TO and I’m pretty damn sure nothing showed atop my friend’s head!
    I would understand if they removed from FFA to discourage people from teaming up (although I personally don’t really see any harm in doing that as it doesn’t really give a significant score advantage)

Could it be a server side setting?

• The new tag system is really annoying in scrims. Since you can’t see who’s who unless you’re close to them and you have your cursor close to them, you can’t call people’s backs. Like if you see one of the knights on your team is about to be ambushed by an MAA, but you can’t see his name. So you have to go off of other features, like customization, playstyle weapon, etc. It’s just extra stuff to process.

• I like the current way better than a thousand green names stretching the screen.

Also so tempted to make a joke about the processing powers of flippy’s brain right now. He’s left himself wide open.

• @coo_snake:

I see what you mean, I actually witnessed that new system.
    But I just played TO and I’m pretty damn sure nothing showed atop my friend’s head!
    I would understand if they removed from FFA to discourage people from teaming up (although I personally don’t really see any harm in doing that as it doesn’t really give a significant score advantage)

Could it be a server side setting?

Hm… sometimes it doesn’t show up and I think it’s something to do with Steam. Even though 1 of my friends will be online, he won’t show up on my screen unless he quits/rejoins, or maybe goes offline/online on Friends. Naturally it will only show your friend in TO if he is on your team, but give it another try and see if it works.

I think the new icons are really annoying at range. When you’re playing archer all you see is this huge fucking cluster of these icons (I have many regular players on my friends list), and it rather obscures your aim. You can’t disable them without disabling all HUD markers, so that’s annoying on some TO maps where the HUD markers are sometimes useful.

They should either shrink or get more transparent at range, IMHO.

• Okay I guess I’ll try restarting steam or other stuff next time then

I don’t have issues since I only have one friend on chivalry, but it looks like shrinking is the way to go at range

• @lemonater47:

Also so tempted to make a joke about the processing powers of flippy’s brain right now. He’s left himself wide open.

Once again, going off topic and trying to derail a thread to insult another user. How funny would it be if somehow you just lost your account and had to make a new one and start with a fresh post count? I bet you’d never even post again. If you’ve got a problem with me buddy take it to PM, quit spewing your sour lemon toxins in threads.

• I think the new icons are kind of ugly. Fortunately, the H button still works.

• @Flippy:

Once again, going off topic and trying to derail a thread to insult another user. How funny would it be if somehow you just lost your account and had to make a new one and start with a fresh post count? I bet you’d never even post again. If you’ve got a problem with me buddy take it to PM, quit spewing your sour lemon toxins in threads.

Sorry. Its hard man. It just tickled my sense of humour. The whole way you laid it out. It was perfect. My apologies. I have no beef with anyone. Not even Retsnom.

And I got that forced holiday for calling someone a COD player. You didn’t have nice words to say either about that guy but you had nothing prior. Lets not talk about this again or we will both get forced holidays. The mods are on a crackdown. Well Mod. Only one of them does anything.

Back on topic.

The H button does take it away but it takes very thing else away too. They aren’t that ugly. Personally green text that’s constant is more ugly. Eww Green. Yellow is better.

• Yeah, press H.

• New tags suck, you can’t tell which one of your friend it is unless you move your mouse over the tag.

• I just wish there was a way to turn off objective markers but keep the steamfriendtag turned on…

• @Flippy:

The new tag system is really annoying in scrims. Since you can’t see who’s who unless you’re close to them and you have your cursor close to them, you can’t call people’s backs. Like if you see one of the knights on your team is about to be ambushed by an MAA, but you can’t see his name. So you have to go off of other features, like customization, playstyle weapon, etc. It’s just extra stuff to process.

Well considering we used to have to identify players based off of their skins, classes, and weapons in the old days (older multiplayer titles) I’m sure we can adjust to this new system :)

• @Dr.Nick:

Well considering we used to have to identify players based off of their skins, classes, and weapons in the old days (older multiplayer titles) I’m sure we can adjust to this new system :)

I actually find that quite cool.
    In TO I always turn off the markers (I’d leave on the friendmarkers if that was possible). But I still see who pf my allies is my friend, because of the customization :)

• @Peter:

I just wish there was a way to turn off objective markers but keep the steamfriendtag turned on…

I second this idea wholeheartedly!