Server Disappears from Browser After a Few Hours?

• Hey everyone.

I’ve been trying to host a server from my home connection for the past few months because I live in Asia and there are practically no servers here. My home computer is quite powerful and my net speed is 100 Mbps down / 20 Mbps up, which as far as I’m aware should be more than adequate to host a 24 player Chivalry server (even when I play on it myself).

I’ve had a bit of success leaving the server up overnight in the past — I’ll wake up the next day with 12 people already on my server or something — but recently it seems like my server only stays in the server browser for a short while before disappearing.

Nothing crashes on my end; the UDK.exe is always still running. The server just seems to “disappear” from the browser.

Does anyone know what might cause this? Is my ISP interrupting the connection (somehow?) or is the issue with my connection to Steam?

Any help would be appreciated. As it stands, I have to close and reboot my server about 4 or 5 times a day just to keep it available to players…

I would appreciate any help, insights, or advice!

Fake edit: I also sometimes have problems with lag spikes (everyone on the server freezes for 2 to 4 seconds at the same time), and I am curious if anyone has any tips on how to solve that. When I run the server debug command in the console, my maximum server latency seems very good — always been 3 ms and around 10 ms. It might be a fluke, but I’m pretty sure the server experiences more of these spikes when players join from far away (i.e., Russians join the server with 500 ms pings, no exaggeration). But it has also happened when everyone on the server has <60 ms pings, just far less often.

• Mod

Any chance we could get some output from cdwlogging.exe or any other relevant logs. Is it possible that your IP address is changing and the server is bound to the old one? can probably check your IP lease time for that (and not the internal IP as provided from dhcp on your router, but the public IP!)

Do people get mass disconnected from the server when the issues occur? (can test by connecting to the server and just spectating)

• @MonkeyFiend:

Any chance we could get some output from cdwlogging.exe or any other relevant logs. Is it possible that your IP address is changing and the server is bound to the old one? can probably check your IP lease time for that (and not the internal IP as provided from dhcp on your router, but the public IP!)

Do people get mass disconnected from the server when the issues occur? (can test by connecting to the server and just spectating)

Thank you for the prompt response. I can’t believe I didn’t even think of the possibility that my IP was being renewed. That makes perfect sense and is likely the reason (I never signed up for a static IP with my ISP). However, I’ll still have to look into it further to make sure that’s the reason. If so, I think I should be able to pay a few extra bucks a month for a static IP.

I searched my chivalry_ded_server folder but didn’t find any files named cdwlogging.exe. I run my server directly through UDK.exe because I heard it cuts latency down. What would be the best way to get a log of server events as you describe? Is a file automatically generated somewhere with this info?

Thanks!

P.S. I’ve never actually witnessed the server go down while playing on it myself.

• i have a similar problem, mine isnt appearing at all when started

• Developer

That’s not the same issue, please don’t hijack threads in this subforum, it makes things messy.

• I still haven’t resolved this issue and I’m curious if anyone has any ideas?

Sometimes after a few hours my server will disappear from the browser if there is nobody in the game. However, if I open Chivalry and go into the console (~) and type “open <my server=”" ip="">", I can connect to the server, add bots, and so forth. The weirdest part is, if I do change the map, my server will reappear in the browser. I’m having difficulty maintaining a player base because the server is not always in the browser.

Does anyone have any insight as to how I could ensure that my server is always visible in the server browser…? Thanks…</my>

• I think that happens when steam master server goes down, the server should reconnect and go back in the browser but it does not, even after fall I can see the router is sending udp packets through steam port and some steam server connected to peerport, when this happens the server log window displays a new GUID reconnection but it not appear to have and unfortunately only fix is restart server manually, it´s a pain because steam fall down too times lately.

• @U.F.O.:

I think that happens when steam master server goes down, the server should reconnect and go back in the browser but it does not, even after fall I can see the router is sending udp packets through steam port and some steam server connected to peerport, when this happens the server log window displays a new GUID reconnection but it not appear to have and unfortunately only fix is restart server manually, it´s a pain because steam fall down too times lately.

But I have found that simply logging into the server in Chivalry (ex: open 192.168.0.1) and changing the map (adminchangemap XXX) will enable the server to be seen in the browser once again—without having to actually restart the server. Which leads me to think…

Perhaps if the server would automatically change maps if nobody joins, that would avoid the problem?

Is there a way to ensure that a server with 0 players will eventually change the map automatically…?

• It could be a good solution, but I think there is no way to do it.

• Hi HaHawk, I find a posible solution…

You can put two persistent bots on the server, this causes the server rotate mapcycle all the time and change maps automatically, if you server has only TO mode sure that does not bother, however in LTS the players must kill bots.

Add numplay=2 to launch batch : AOCTO-Darkforest_p?dedicated=true?steamsockets?numplay=2

Add numplay=2 in server mapcycle:

Maplist=AOCTO-Darkforest_p?numplay=2
    Maplist=AOCLTS-Moor_p?numplay=2
    Maplist=AOCTO-Hillside_P?numplay=2
    Maplist=AOCLTS-ThroneRoom_P?numplay=2
    Maplist=AOCTO-Whitenest_p?numplay=2

Good luck! ;)

• @U.F.O.:

Hi HaHawk, I find a posible solution…

You can put two persistent bots on the server, this causes the server rotate mapcycle all the time and change maps automatically, if you server has only TO mode sure that does not bother, however in LTS the players must kill bots.

Add numplay=2 to launch batch : AOCTO-Darkforest_p?dedicated=true?steamsockets?numplay=2

Add numplay=2 in server mapcycle:

Maplist=AOCTO-Darkforest_p?numplay=2
    Maplist=AOCLTS-Moor_p?numplay=2
    Maplist=AOCTO-Hillside_P?numplay=2
    Maplist=AOCLTS-ThroneRoom_P?numplay=2
    Maplist=AOCTO-Whitenest_p?numplay=2

Good luck! ;)

Wow thanks so much mate! I will try it ASAP ^_^ Definitely sounds like it will work!!

• Just FYI for anyone who was having the same issue as me –- U.F.O.'s suggestion to add a couple of bots worked like a charm and my server now remains in the server browser indefinitely. HOWEVER, beware that some LTS maps (especially Argon’s Wall) should be removed from the map rotation, otherwise the bots seem to get stuck and cause the map to get stuck in turn. On all other maps, however, there are no issues and the bots start the objective timers so that maps will rotate after the clock countdown if no players are present.

• Glad to hear you’re making progress! If adding bots fixed the issue, could it be as simple as having the empty server filter checked? This would explain why you can open it directly with your IP, but not see it in the browser.

• @lejosh:

Glad to hear you’re making progress! If adding bots fixed the issue, could it be as simple as having the empty server filter checked? This would explain why you can open it directly with your IP, but not see it in the browser.

Nice to hear Hahawk ;)

That’s not the problem, the problem is server stops query with steam masterserver when steam masterserver falls, dissapears from browser but stills online through console, bots relaunch the server again with steam masterserver when they change maps.

• @U.F.O.:

Nice to hear Hahawk ;)

That’s not the problem, the problem is server stops query with steam masterserver when steam masterserver falls, dissapears from browser but stills online through console, bots relaunch the server again with steam masterserver when they change maps.

Good to know. Thanks :)