Wow, how could the game get worse?

• So I gave the new patch a few weeks to set in and I originally thought it was much improved, or so I though. It seemed to be optimized somewhat and was excited to see what the netcode improvements would lead too.

Sadly after a few weeks now, the game has become worse. This is on top of the cheap noob weekend sale that brings out the worst of them. So now parries are pretty much useless, specially against MAA, Archers or any spammy weapon.

It seems that 80% of all attacks just simply go right through the parry, even with turning, looking up and down in the right directions of the tip of the weapons do no good. Parry, boom, hit, spam, parry, boom, hit, spam, parry, boom, hit. What is the point in parring if it fails 75% of the time?

This leads me to stabs…… 60%+ stab through with no damage specially with pole arms. Considering that this is mostly what I play it is amazing I haven’t totally raged and killed a kitten or something. I have tried tweaking my network settings, jump on servers with really low ping. It just doesn’t matter. The percentage of failed parries and attacks makes me wonder wtf you did to make it worse. It was already pretty bad but now it is ridiculous. It is really bad when your opponents tell you they though they were dead and couldn’t believe they survived that stab through the chest and into their spine. But maybe like in another thread the damages are just not registering. Why is it taking 4 + hits to kill an archer with a pole arm? Wtf happend to the flinch system? It never seems to work. Yet, magically everything I swing at gets parried just fine. Not only that but I get insta-hit in return with freaking no animation.

I have been watching noob archers spam 3v1 like it is nothing, same with MAA. My KDR has gone to total shit each round as so many attacks go through my parries. Then you have a ton of these level 5 players that are so freaking annoying. It is like dealing with 12 year olds going through puberty. LMB spam is the way of the sword. Trolling is a way of life for these kids. I miss all the veterans that used to play. I wonder why the all left?

• I’m sure you’re frustrated with the level 5 players, but you have to realize that some of them may not know about any other attack besides LMB. A lot of the new players, especially from the sales tend to hop onto a server and just give it a go. They haven’t got a good grasp of the mechanics yet and no one has taken time to show them a few pointers.

So in the future, if you want to prevent them from constantly LMB, mention to them that there are more than one attack. Also do it in a way that is helpful and not hateful. The more that we help out the new players, the better they become which overall would increase the skill level and fun of each match.

As for the parries, I don’t have an answer, however it could be related to the servers or other player’s pings. Whatever the case may be, hopefully it won’t go on too long like this. You may need to find a new rhythm or timing in your swings to counter whatever it is that is happening.

• Noobs are just annoying to begin with so that is really just a moot point of me ranting but many are annoying trolls as well. The problems of the ghost swings, no hit detection, parry fails, and flinching not working has appearently gotten far worse since the patch. I usually have great ping from 20-45, it doesnt make a difference unless they are 120+ then that is noticable in lag. OH I totally forgot to mention all the swings animations are stuttering horribly as well. Even worse if their ping is crap. So how the hell can you time a parry if the attack animations are stuttering? This is in addition. I dont know if there are rate settings that can be tweaked or something but I have noticed servers crashing a lot as well. Hell my servers crash logs at least 4 times a day and there is virtually no one playing on it. I dont know what to tell you other than the game’s performance has gotten worse. I even had to go in and tweak my graphics settings in my INI files just so I could get decent FPS on a 24+ player server. Sorry but playing this game is a lot less fun and increasingly more and more frustrating. It is clear that the Parry system is completely flawed even before the patch but now it is far worse.

• Personally, I don’t think there is any information that could help. However, maybe a fellow community member has experienced the same thing and has found a solution.

I apologize that your experience in the game is currently not what it should be.

• I can tell you that I’ve experienced, very very rarely, a “seemingly” higher amount of swings needed to take out archers/vanguards than before. But then it seemed to go away, or I adapted. I think I have about 15-20+ hours of post patch play in and I have not noticed a difference in Parries at all. They all work at least as good as before, imo, so no help there, sorry Hammer.

• I think parrying is certainly different now since the patch and hit detection can be a little less forgiving when it comes to 1h weapons, but you can still parry just about anything. You will have to adapt to the new net code and each noob’s ping, which can take some time. It certainly feels worse at times. If you’re used to only doing matrix parrying, you might have to give it up.

As for swings needed to kill, it’s definitely the same. But the hit box for hitting someone’s head is bigger now, so you should actually be needing less hits to kill because you’ll be landing head hits much more often. A lot of my hits to kill have went down by one since this patch because of it, and I’m getting far more decaps than before.

The patch did change things quite a bit and does need more improvement and work, but it was a step in the right direction for animations and hit detection.

• I somehow got used to this.

Same stuff was happening to me a few weeks ago and now I barely have those problems(although still more frequent than pre-patch).

• There is no getting used to this crap. Stabs are ghosting right through player models, doesn’t matter what weapon class. I have tried with low ping and it is ever worse with 100 ping. Parrys are still useless against any spammy weapon no matter how I turn to the tip. I have tried everything and nothing is working. The game is just simply shit now. It was one thing to get killed by an occasionally level 5 but now I am lucky to have a positive KDR. Sorry but this last two batches of noobs are just assholes on top of it. I never thought this game would ever get this shitty, frustrating and down right rage filling. I have 1200 hours in this game and every patch seems to get worse and worse. All I here is you have to adapt blah blah blah… We shouldn’t have too if the shit actually worked as advertised. You adapt to player’s fighting styles not shitty game mechanics that keep fucking up the game.

• I’m almost to the point I can’t play this game anymore as well. I stuck through the Citadel, I stuck through the balance patch, I stuck through the customization, but now I’m all but a few steps from stopping this game for a good long time. I used to think hit detection was solid, but now that’s not the case. I’m hit in windup so often now that it’s not worth playing. Before it used to be somewhat a game of skill, now it’s a game of “who has the worst ping and can use the claymore”. This game is so bad right now (just after this patch) that I’m about to drop all of my hours put in this and just find another game. It’s not even fun anymore.

It’s like: There was one solid mechanic holding this game up, and then they decided to take that away as well (because please god, let’s not make this game better actually). Let’s make it completely random, why don’t we? I am even less impressed now than I was. This game was way better when I bought it.

Also, SOC, swings needed to kill- Just nailed a MaA 7 times with the SOW before he died. SEVEN (7). There’s something wrong here. I doubt it’s intentional, but there are definitely swings not hitting now.

• Post video of these polearm stabs going through people. Or a parry failing. I haven’t had problems with anything.

• I was using maul earlier tonight and had the maul head burried into player models many times without hit detection. The parry is just unacceptable now.

• @HammerSword:

I was using maul earlier tonight and had the maul head burried into player models many times without hit detection. The parry is just unacceptable now.

So record it or you’re just wasting everyone’s time.

• For one, the recording system doesnt work, thanks devs. Second, I must be lying and making shit up right and just come here to bitch right? UGh you sound like a DEV.

• There is some weird stuff happening. It could be a handicap for low level newbs (Level 5s).

I am a primary maul user from Australia, there was this vanguard that took 4 overhead hits to the torso before he died. It does not take 4 overheads to kill a vangaurd with a maul. 1 overhead + any other hit will finish them.

I have also noticed some parries going through, as my parry rates are near 90%+.

Slam

• @HammerSword:

You adapt to player’s fighting styles not shitty game mechanics that keep fucking up the game.

I agree with this, but this patch’s intention was a step in the right direction. It’s just, balancing and bug fixing are TBS’ two worst qualities it seems so I’m scared how long it will take for things to get into a more acceptable state.

@quigleyer:

Also, SOC, swings needed to kill- Just nailed a MaA 7 times with the SOW before he died. SEVEN (7). There’s something wrong here. I doubt it’s intentional, but there are definitely swings not hitting now.

I’ve put many hours into this patch and I’ve yet to come across this, nor have heard anyone else coming across this in game. I’ve used the SoW many times as well. I only play on central and eastern US official servers, so I’m not sure what to say.

• OP, I’ve not really had to many issues with this.
    If you’ve had some hours in the game then you’d start to recognise things like bad ping cause attacks to go through parry and block.
    People do deliberately try to exploit bad ping at times, especially in duel servers where you can’t see their ping (though their lag be obvious)
    Your best bet is to swap to a shield and hold the shield in the block position and charge at your laggy opponent. Wait until his invisible weapon hits your shield or until you’re safely past him, but quickly follow his back and then once your are behind him rain down some over head swings and its over. The troll will soon go back under his rock.
    Aside from this,
    Attacks actually going through swings and parries i haven’t had it happen much. The bilhook seems to do it the most obviously on occasion. Bilhook stabs seem to go straight through good blocks at times, although, i’ve only experienced this on duel servers where you can’t see your opponents ping.
    Brandistock ghost swings pretty good……
    SOW leaps stabs get over shields a bit suspiciously at times, but this can be countered by predicting what is going to happen, but then this gives your opponent enough time to feint and kick you in the shield causing your brain to be dazed and you will yield a free hit in the face(i love being punished for playing well TBS - AHEM.), or your parry will be rendered useless as the feint bypasses the parry window.

• @giantyak:

SOW leaps stabs get over shields a bit suspiciously at times, but this can be countered by predicting what is going to happen, but then this gives your opponent enough time to feint and kick you in the shield causing your brain to be dazed and you will yield a free hit in the face(i love being punished for playing well TBS - AHEM.), or your parry will be rendered useless as the feint bypasses the parry window.

If you lean back every time you’re on the defensive then jump stabs aren’t really an issue. Alternatively, if you’re using a shield you can either expect a stab or kick coupled with the jump, so use a flashkick to stall them midair, punishing the jump, or causing them to get stuck on your model, which is generally a free hit for you.

• I very rarely throw in the leap stab, so i often get away with it, but yes the getting stuck on the other player catches me out frequently enough….even when i’m just innocently trying to fly kick them in the face :O

• I usually lean back and duck while parrying but I also use a lot of foot work. I was testing some stuff that Retsnom talked about in his bubble/parry post and something I discoverd might be why the parry is failing so much. What I did was to look at the parry window in third person while using the SHOW COLLISION command after creating a game.

What I noticed is that the parry window turns to the side about 45 degrees when you walk forward/backwards and straif at the same time even though you are looking forward. The parry window seems to follow the waist’s movement direction and not where you are actually looking. I was like WTF? Test this on your own. This might explain why it fails so much while walking and straifing at the same time I tend to do a lot of foot work and now I am thinking that is a huge mistake. If you straif the parry window stays forward. Seriously. WTF? No wonder Retsnom was so inraged at much of the game design and the flaws. Now I am agreeing with him all the more in having the parry window actually attached to the weapon and not some floaty bullshit. This might explain why so many parrys fail. If it is not located where it should be. Meaning that if it is 45 degrees off to where I am actually looking, no fucking wonder so many hits get through it. Since the animation is irrelevant to the parry how can you even trust where it is at any point while moving.

As far as the ping thing goes, As I have said, I usually have great ping usually 20+ point lower than most. I though that was supposed to be an advantage but is clearly isnt because they are not actually where they are supposed to be. But when I played with a higher ping, now I am lagging behind and still having the same issues of a shit ton of ghost stabs. They have seem to have gotten worse than the swings since the patch. Until we know exaclty what was changed we really have no idea what can be done to improve our own rates if anything,

• @HammerSword:

What I noticed is that the parry window turns to the side about 45 degrees when you walk forward/backwards and straif at the same time even though you are looking forward. The parry window seems to follow the waist’s movement direction and not where you are actually looking.

Actually if you bothered to parry, you’d see that the parry box immediately goes to where you are actually aiming and not where your waist is facing.