Shield Knights are a dying breed.

• Dearest Torn Banner,

I suppose this is too late a request for Christmas, so let’s see about getting shit done in the new year.
    After the latest update, shields have become even more of a handicap than before. Sure, I get what you tried to do with the shield needing to be fully raised before being able to block, but all it’s done is encouraged turtling by the lesser shield-bearers, and infuriated the experienced ones. Not sure how it is in EU or NA, but a lot of the well known Australian shield knights have either hung theirs up for good or disappeared. (I’m sure lemon know who I’m talking about).

Angling yourself to your opponents attacks before raising the shield is now essentially pointless, specifically when it comes down to ripostes from the faster weapons, as they’ll get the hit in 80% of the time before your shield is fully raised. The way shields interact with overheads is also pretty frustrating, simply leaning into the shield generally allows you to cut straight through or over the top of the shield quite easily, even more so on a riposte.

The knight’s special ability is also some cause for concern. “Able to wield two-handed swords in one hand, as long as a shield is in the other”. Why would anyone who’s actually seen the weapon stats do this? Using a bastard sword with a shield causes your weapon to do less damage, which makes sense as it’s a heavier weapon, but is it really balanced?
    One handed sword of war does less damage than any of the naturally one handed swords, and one handed longsword is only marginally more punishing than the broadsword, but far slower. Add in the slow movement speed of the knight, and whatever reach advantage you could of obtained by using a primary weapon over a secondary weapon is nullified by the W key. At this point, speed would be your main requirement, and a norse or broad would out compete the SoW or LS every time.

Don’t even get me started on the stamina drain and flinch times, everybody knows they’re ridiculous.

How about giving the humble shield knight some love then TB? We don’t need any crazy balance changes, just a few things to level the playing field, before we go extinct.

Things to do:

• Change the stamina drain on shields so that it’s on par with the standard stamina drain from parrying. Don’t make stamina drain less than parries, otherwise people will just turtle for days and everyone will start whining.
    • Increase the damage of the bastard swords when coupled with a shield to a level closer to that of their stats when wielded with both hands, otherwise there’s virtually no reason to use them when there’s the broadsword and norse.
    • Decrease the shield raise and drop times, allowing us to effectively parry quicker weapons more consistently.
    • Maybe have a look at how shields interact with overheads, and try and sort out the issue with cut-throughs.
    • Also, can you maybe make it so that we don’t get flinched into dropping our shield if we get hit with a pebble? Trying to defend yourself from multiple opponents only to have your shield flinched out by a sneaky projectile is pretty annoying, especially now every man and his dog plays ezimode with a maul. A projectile damage threshold could work, with anything that causes less than a certain amount of damage (pebbles and throwing knives) not causing flinch if the shield is raised (or being raised). Just a thought.

TL;DR - Good shield knights should be a staple on the battlefield, but we’re not. Why? We’ve been gimped to shit. Rebalance pls.

• Knights with shields could definitely use some love. I do use shields very often, I love longsword/SoW/messer and shield but it does need some buffs and fundamental changes.

• I love Broadsword + Kite in Chiv+. I never knew how much fun shields were. I’m all for shield buffs, they desperately need it.

• Give the shield (Kite/Tower) a tap to block which has the same stamina effect of a parry minus the riposte.

Improve SoW animations with/without shield.

Fix overhead interaction with shield use so we don’t have old bugged alt overhead speed on weapons when using a shield.

Fix shield hitbox lagging behind and causing attacks to be blocked at ridiculous angles.

Perhaps increase the mouse turn speed when holding a shield up so people can combat the sneaky stabs/sneaky overheads easier. I for one think that the shield users have too much of their screen blocked when holding block so it can be confusing and disorientating when a sneaky attack goes around their side.

For god sakes, fix flinched in release, it affects us all but it feels a lot worse for Knight for some reason.

These are some of the things I think need addressing with Knights and shields.

• Please just change stamina system so u can block a heavy weapon more than twice without being dazed for so long

Shields suck really hard atm mainly due to stamina and not having ripostes.

• Buff shields? Nope.

• Yeah it’s a shame… Shields are nearly useless now… At least against Vanguards. My vanguard vs knight tactic is simple but way too easy. Stay out of their range and stab their shield until they’re dazed. When dueling a knight and seeing him equip his shield makes me laugh inside and think: Ohh… another walk in the park.

Shieldwalls? Nomore! Just charge at the shieldwall and daze those knights.

Shields should drain way less stamina when blocking something.

• I don’t miss the old shield knights ^___^

• Shield Knights don’t need a buff, they need to be fixed.

Shields need to accurately portray their size and blocking area, which none of them do. All of them occupy some goofy amount of space that isn’t represented by the visual surface.

These setups are also DESTROYED by latency. The game can’t keep pace with how fast players can control their visual input. Remember, shields count for damage when they are not raised, or when they are being lowered. You know how many times the shield was in the correct location, already raised, only so I can watch the enemies swing go right through it and hit me? But of course, this is what I see on my screen. My enemy still see’s me raising my shield, or maybe he’s hitting the “shield arteries” and “shield organs” that we all know were a part of medieval human anatomy. We have since outgrown our need for shield organs, much like the appendix.

This game is lols when it comes to any sort of consistency. You won’t get it, or you’ll get it a percentage of the time. This is why the game can’t be taken seriously. Just try to laugh at it and move on.

PS I do pretty damn well with shield setups. I still think they’re incredibly strong if you know how to use them correctly. Perhaps not the strongest setups, but certainly a team player and a survivor if played properly.

• @DokB:

Give the shield (Kite/Tower) a tap to block which has the same stamina effect of a parry minus the riposte.

If shields are going to become tap-to-block then that needs to require half the stamina of parry as riposte is OP in terms of stamina wars.

• @DokB:

Give the shield (Kite/Tower) a tap to block which has the same stamina effect of a parry minus the riposte.

If shields are going to become tap-to-block then that needs to require half the stamina of parry as riposte is OP in terms of stamina wars.

@dudeface:

I don’t miss the old shield knights ^___^

Ahhh, come on, you were green back then. I had no trouble with them back then, why does everyone say this….

Why did TBS delete my avatar :O

/cry: just hit around the shield!!! is it really that complex!!!
    /end rant

• I still wake up in cold sweats.

• You don’t need to aim or time your block as much and shield makes you practically immortal till you run out of stamina.
    Ezmode as it is, no need for buff.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

You don’t need to aim or time your block as much and shield makes you practically immortal till you run out of stamina.

This only applies to the idiots that hit directly at your shield and make no attempt to actually get around it, feint to kick or feint to switch. I’d take being able to riposte and not running out of stamina after three blocks over using a shield any day if I wanted to play ezimode, but where’s the fun in that?

• @LTTLWLF:

This only applies to the idiots that hit directly at your shield and make no attempt to actually get around it, feint to kick or feint to switch. I’d take being able to riposte and not running out of stamina after three blocks over using a shield any day if I wanted to play ezimode, but where’s the fun in that?

You can’t kick a good shield player, they will lower their shield while your kick animation is still playing.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

You can’t kick a good shield player, they will lower their shield while your kick animation is still playing.

True enough, but then you can leave yourself open to a standard post feint attack if they don’t kick, or if you try to punish the feint and take the boot it’ll occasionally cause you to restart your attack after the flinch (another “feature”?), forcing you to feint to parry which wastes even more stamina. It’s easy enough if the aural cues are working properly, but I really don’t trust them anymore haha.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

But because of the increased raise time, this often means in a free hit for your opponent much as if you were not using a shield at all and fell for a feint, because many weapons are fast enough to punish that high raise time. This means shields are always at a disadvantage unless you’re using MaA.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

You don’t need to aim or time your block as much and shield makes you practically immortal till you run out of stamina.

:love-struck:
    @rumpelstiltskin:

What these two statements say is that you are completely inadequate at fighting against shields and need practice; let me help you.
    I’d recommend tutorial mode where you practice hitting around the shield; complex i know.
    In response to your second statement i’d say try subterfuge* before you get the cat out of the bag. Attempt to confuse or distract your opponent before you try to kick them in the face.
    I’d say “Yes” if you telescope your kick whilst the enemy can see he will drop his shield in time, ironically to be kicked in the face… (bearing in mind that if kicked in the ‘drop animation’ you still get stunned - which is completely unreasonable).
    And i’d say “Yes” if you strike directly at a shield it will be blocked by the shield, when it is held in the block position, so try a bit of ‘reach around’ every now and then to stab your target it the side of the head or abs.

I hope this helps you out a bit.

*noun
    noun: subterfuge; plural noun: subterfuges
    deceit used in order to achieve one’s goal.
    “he had to use subterfuge and bluff on many occasions”

• Are you from EU or NA?
    Would ya link me your profile?

• Nah, i’m from oceania, if you don’t mind ping i guess i could mentor you.