[WIP] Fortification Map Contest- Grail Castle (Neuschwanstein) - TO - Beta Release

• The Neuschwanstein Grail Castle maps now TO, Duel, LTS.

Team Objective Map - AOCTO-Grail_P
    workshop - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216629044
    See Objectives and back story at bottom of post.

To optimise download times when playing, the other maps are in different workshop items….

LTS Map - AOCLTS-GrailCastle_P
    workshop - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=228733640

Last Team Standing, with a twist. The team with the most men in the grail room receive a blessing which heals them faster when in that room.

The following maps are all on the same workshop item
    workshop - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=223678764
    Duel Map - AOCDuel-GrailCastle_P
    Duel in front of the Agathian king and his court of knights, hear the crowd react to how impressive and exciting your duels are!!!

Team Deathmatch Map - AOCTD-GrailCastle_P
    Set in the castle when the Masons own it, with a different atmosphere, each team has a defensive area with mini-Batista

]

FFA Map - AOCFFA-GrailCastle_P

And a separate workshop entry for this one :-

Old Duel Map - AOCFFA-GrailOldDuel_p
    workshop - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=233461638&searchtext=

an old duel version, optimized for 120 fps (if your rig can do that of course!!)
    barrels of water give health recovery.
    quickly relocate from upper to lower courtyard for extra practice space.
    comes with practice bots (more details later, but they are not your average bots) - designed to help you practice or train in certain moves (blocks, block ripostes, duck, matrix, drag, cftp, reverse overheads, etc depending on your current skill level)
    HEALTH WARNING, although good for training certain things and can be fun to fight, fighting bots is no substitute for combat practice with actual humans.

Neuschwanstein Team Objective - AOCTO-GrailCastle_P
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216629044

A week ago the Masons captured the Grail castle, Agatha must break into the castle and steal the Grail back.

Part 1
    Agatha must break into the castle. either use the battering ram and knock down the gate or break through the tunnels and open the gate from the inside.

Masons must stop the ram and prevent the Agathians breaking through the barriers in the tunnel. Be sure to defend the kitchen stores in case they sneak in and open the gate from the inside.

Part 2
    Agatha must build 2 forward bases in the upper courtyard building AND take and hold the square tower. Taking the tower swaps some spawn points between Agatha and Mason (and back) giving a tactical advantage).

Mason must prevent building the bases and the flag raising and hold the tower themselves.

Part 3
    Agatha must now get into the throne room, and take the grail back (use action), once you have the grail they must escape the castle and return it to the Camp main tent. There are 4 ways out of the castle.

Masons - don’t let them take the grail, if they do, stop them returning it to camp

The Back Story

The Agathian king has lost the Grail, his sacred charge, and with it his divine ability to protect his kingdom and the land. The king is the land!! and without the grail this link is severed and the king impotent.

The Grail was kept and closely guarded in the Grail Castle, Neuschwanstein, however a week ago the despicable Masons, no doubt under orders from Malric himself, using some foul treachery, gained access to the Grail Castle. Most of the Guard were taken by surprise without being allowed even the honour of defending themselves.

These rumours have reached the Agathians, and the king has dispatched his best knights (some vanguards, other men at arms, archers and so on) to get the Grail back at all costs.

So early, mid morning, after the knights have prepared and the squires have had time to do, well whatever they do to help the knights prepare, Agatha are ready for their assault on the castle. Based in their hastily erected camp they have but one ram with which to gain entrance to the castle.

By some fortune a lowly engineer knew of an unused tunnel entrance to the castle kitchen stores and had some man erect a rather shaky looking scaffolding overnight. For those who would dare this construction, access should be possible using the tunnels it leads to. However the knight commander would have you know that this is NOT the most chivalrous method of winning the Grail back.

Credits
    Map Concept, Level Design, Art, Kismet - Massive
    Meshes, Art, Testing -Hussar
    Gold Candle Sticks - Elwebbaro
    Testing - Shuntor, Furst von Butz, Ro-kidd, PsychoB, hiboo monster and many others.
    Research Massive, Hitman123, Hussar
    Photos of the castle Massive, Hussar
    Mason Voice, EnderBlitz (copyright)
    Agatha Voice. Scheiffer-Bates (copyright)

For pics see - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216629044

• Holy hell, that looks good. Haven’t opened the UDK in a week and a half, this just motivated me. Keep up the good work, looking forward to tryin this out.

• Glad to see someone still updates their map!
    Also, great shots! Can’t wait for people to get patient enough to wait a minute for files to download so that I can play this!

• I’d love to try it out but the only custom maps I ever see under 200 ping are manawarefare.

• Doing a lighting revamp - so a pause before the next release……

• This looks so beautiful! Easily a 1st prize nominee if TBS ever had a map contest. I’d love to have full scale battles on that one, but the only servers I see that host custom maps are always empty and have too high ping. Are people actually playing custom maps? I rarely see any. People seem to play mods like mana warfare and chiv+ though…

• Now this map is getting a bit more stable - hopefully a lot more so when i finish the current lighting re vamp - ppl will start hosting it.I think when an map is in early stages of development it is harder to host on servers cos it changes so much.

• ok - I got workshop working again - map back in circulation - though it will be at bottom of list cos all votes and subscribers have been lost.

• Workshop issues not solves but i have uploaded a new map - until the “wipe workshop” bug is fixed there is no guarantee it wont all disappear again.

NOTE : map name has changed to AOCTO-Neuschwanstein_p (as its the middle portion of this that appears on the server list)

• I would like to play it…

But why is TBS not supporting custom map servers?

Currently on a Friday evening (prime time) there are 2 servers with custom TO maps - mana warfare and another.

I am downloading the 200+MB and trying one server but no guarantees to get your map obviously…

I guess I need to start another thread.

• @gregcau:

and trying one server but no guarantees to get your map obviously…

after downloading the server was empty… sigh…

• I played this for the first objective with a few ia. guys. Really cool map, very good looking. The first objective was fun, I am hoping we do more custom map nights and play this one again. Looks like a really good higher player-count map. thanks for making and releasing, looking forward to having more time to dig into it.

• Hey, realy great looking map. Played it earlier this week with alot of guys to see if it had any “scrim” potential since we’re all sick and tired of playing the 3 same maps over and over again.

I would say that overal it looks promisisng, especialy the first objective. But its just way too damn big and the the third or the second objective confused us a bit.

My suggestions would be to make things more streamlined and more compact when it comes to the second or third objective and the objectives more “obvious”.

It sometimes is just way too big and confusing.

Realy hope you’ll improve this map so we can play this during scrims and tournaments if there will be any.

This realy reminded me of AoC monastery , so well done.

• Thanks Sophrax - i’ll give this some thought

certainly i can close off some 1’st stage areas whilst in 2nd or 3rd stage - i think that will help.
    I am still looking for a voice actor to do the Agatha voice (English accent) I think this will greatly improve peoples understanding of the objectives.
    I was going for a learning curve of 2 - 3 plays for the map, based on my experience of other maps (I think it was 5 or 6 plays on Citadel until I sussed what was going on) - Do you think this is reasonable, did you just play it the once, do you think its learnable in 2-3 plays?

Actual distances you travel are within the norm for the other maps - i took a long time measuring them out. This is true apart from the final run to take the Grail home, which is quite long especially if you choose to go through the front gate!!! I am still racking my brains how I could bring the take home place closed and keeping within the story - so if anyone has any bright ideas please??? (I’ve now put a cross hair prompt in as to how to use the chain - which will help some - not released yet)

The only way of simplifying the keep (3rd stage) that I can think of, is to remove the dinning hall on the 1st level. I am not sure how much it is really used - do you think this would help - what are peoples thoughts on this?

Lots of things here - but any and all feedback is always very welcome and much appreciated.

• OK - next release will close off the 2nd level gatehouse and corridor when you get to phase 2 as well as the kitchen stores.

For the 3rd stage if I removed the dinning hall this would effectively mean that hte large spiral stair case was not accessible by the Agathans and create 2 defensive bottlenecks for Masons to defend (square stair case and small spiral staircase). My sense is that this is too restrictive - but please let me know any thoughts on this?? Leaving the dining room in does leave a linking level on level 1 of the keep - does this really complicate it so much? Essentially the layout of the 3 main keep floors are the same … hummm . its hard when you create something like this to see what others see so please feedback :-)

• @MassiveChaos:

I am still looking for a voice actor to do the Agatha voice (English accent) I think this will greatly improve peoples understanding of the objectives.

Maybe contact

https://www.youtube.com/user/scheifferbates

He hasn’t been on here a while but used to post his impressions in offtopic.

• @MassiveChaos:

Thanks Sophrax - i’ll give this some thought
    I was going for a learning curve of 2 - 3 plays for the map, based on my experience of other maps (I think it was 5 or 6 plays on Citadel until I sussed what was going on) - Do you think this is reasonable, did you just play it the once, do you think its learnable in 2-3 plays?

I’ve only played it once but I think its certainly learnable in 2-3 plays. I tried playing it again today but I couldn’t join the server anymore after changing to the map.

Its a shame the server doesn’t automatically sync with the workshop as it does with the players. Gotta wait for the server owner to update the map… realy user unfriendly. There is also no indication whether or not you’re able to join the server when it keeps loading.

@MassiveChaos:

Actual distances you travel are within the norm for the other maps - i took a long time measuring them out. This is true apart from the final run to take the Grail home, which is quite long especially if you choose to go through the front gate!!! I am still racking my brains how I could bring the take home place closed and keeping within the story - so if anyone has any bright ideas please??? (I’ve now put a cross hair prompt in as to how to use the chain - which will help some - not released yet

The only way of simplifying the keep (3rd stage) that I can think of, is to remove the dinning hall on the 1st level. I am not sure how much it is really used - do you think this would help - what are peoples thoughts on this?

Lots of things here - but any and all feedback is always very welcome and much appreciated.

I’ll get back to you once I can play the map again. SDK needs to be more usefriendly when it comes to updating maps/servers.

• So the next release, sometime today i hope, will have some of the 1st floor gate house and the kitchen stores blocked off after the 1st stage is finished. Lets see how that goes - these areas are not really important after the 1st stage and it will probably simplify things at least on initial plays of the map.

On a separate note, I have been spending quite a lot of time on bots (for some reason, I am finding that really quite fun), although they still do daft things, their behavior in the next release much improved. (They still don’t do the last objective - i plan to add that in). I know its not a major part of play, but - well - its fun for me :-) - so if you want to try to play alone and try to take the castle against bots its there… running the game locally (i.e. open aocto-neuschwanstein_p) I have found that it only adds about 8 bots at once (addbots 8), so doing this twice gives a good number, have 3x8 bots gets rather challenging…

• Keen for this to be on oceanic servers, no one really plays custom maps here though.

• 1 further game play change for testing. After Agatha gets the grail it is quite a long run back to the command tent, where they have to take it. So Whilst the attack squad have been taking the castle, those lef tin camp have built a small defencible area which can be used to return the grail to. So basically the run to the end point is shorter. I think also if mason haven’t intercepted by here it is all over. I think we only had 1 test game where mason occupied the camp an manned the Batista there, which was quite fun but probably doesn’t outweigh that long long run back to camp.

The run is still pretty long if you use the front gate, but i think people only do that the first time they play …… :-)

uploading later today …